PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Family of 5 'shop from home'food storage challenge...

Options

Comments

• jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    i went off to tesco early this morning with kids. had a really nice time. i said to kids if they come with me and help me get a few bit we can then go off and feed duck's. they loved it in tesco.helping me.

anyway i managed to get a huge bucket type tub of mincemeat reduced to £1 something. doesn't run out until feb 09. so thought be a great saving for xmas next year. they also had huge xmas pud's which were £7.99 reduced to £1.97. but even reduced i didn't get it , as figured it only fil and i that eat it. and we only have a tiny bit anyway. so it would get wasted. but shame tho as date on it was april 09.

i got the double 00 flour i need to make the pasta. so going to try that for tea new years day or the day after , depending on when family leave's.

i got a nice little plastic jug in tesco. think it was about 60p. ideal for measurign smaller amounts. i have one of the nearly 2 pint value ones ( cost about 25p). but this smaller one i thought would be an excellent addition to my kitchen.

i have two gammon joints in the oven as we speak.

we are having ham , egg and chips for dinner tonight. yummy. becoming a bit of a tradition to have this meal either xmas eve or new years eve. but it one of my fav's so i don't mind.
  • jcr16
    Options
    Maisie M ~ i couln't find a recipe for cajun chicken , but i did find a recipe for cajun seasoning.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=7530569&highlight=cajun#post7530569

post 1353 on page 68. not sur eif this is what u were after
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    Maisie_M wrote: »
    Hi all

have been reading this thread for ages and have tried some of the wonderful recipies already but need to get into doing more home made stuff and my store cupbaords are groaning with supplies. In addition a frugle January (and rest of 2008!!:o ) is required so I am going to try and do as much as I can from what I have and try grow some fruit and veg and make some other things from scratch.

One thing i would like as I couldnt find it on here was D&DD's recipies for Cajucn Chicken, Thai Green chicken and chicken curry as they are all ones that I would normally by an extortionate ready made sauce for. If I could make them in bulk and freeze them that would be great.

Many thanks and happy new year to all

Maisie

Hi Maisie I'm in the middle of a cookup *nothing changes here not even at xmas* will post the recipes later as I don't remember adding them on here yet..I make these all in bulk and they all freeze well :D
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    This makes approx 1lb 2 oz :D from 'Preserved'

zest and juice of 2 limes
    3 oz root ginger peeled and roughly chopped
    14 small hot green chillies
    1 medium head of garlic peeled
    3 oz chopped lemon grass
    3 oz fresh coriander
    3 1/2 oz shallots peeled and roughly chopped
    1 tblspn shrimp powder or shrimp paste
    1 level tblespoon ground cumin
    2 level tblspoons sesame oil
    3 tblspoons veg oil
    1 tspn ground fresh black pepper

Blend the lime zest,ginger,chillies,garlic,lemon grass,coriander,shallots and shrimp paste/powder until fairly smooth.
    Transfer into a saucepan then add cumin,sesame oil,veg oil,pepper and lime juice.
    Heat rapidly stirring constantly.As soon as the paste starts to boil,transfer to a sterilised container with airtight lid.
    Cool in a bowl of iced water then store in the fridge.
    *These are supposed to keep for 6 months in the fridge but I tend to use it all in one go for a huge batch of chicken then freeze* :)
  • sammy_kaye18
    Options
    Hi All

Am just in the process of going to make some rainbow cakes as benji decided they will be a good pudding for dinner tonight - have started one fo my new years resolutions slightly early - one fo them is to be more romantic with bf as i dont really do that much to treat him (not that he treats me at all) but its been 5 years and i dont want us to lose our spark so i figured id treat him to his fave gammon, pineapple, peas and chips for tea.

Really need to do an invetory list of stuff int he cupboards cos can never remember what ive got in there and i am starting my diet as of tomorrow so all the rubbish in the hosue needs to be used up and gone (theres not loads but enough to be tempting) so i need to get a move on them and get more vegetables and fruit into the house so im going to go shopping next week somewhen - have enough veg, fruit etc to last us till then.
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    April step goal ~ 25,021 of 130,000 steps complete so far
  • natzini
    natzini Posts: 561 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Went to Mr Ts earlier and got a few things... potatoes, carrots, a chicken (gonna be rubber), jelly (for my lunches), wholemeal flour.... do you think that as I bought the stuff today it won't count towards the Jan challenge?! Lol. I spent about £30 in total and now we won't have to buy anything bar milk for two weeks! Phew.

I'm wanting to make some carrot muffins, but think I'll leave that til tomorrow or the next day as we have way too many sweet things to eat at the moment. I'll do a batch of carrot ones and a batch of banana and then I can eat them on my drive to work as I always get hungry :(

Un sou est un sou
  • jcr16
    Options
    i've just made the rainbow cakes.

they have goen downa real treat.

while they were cool i got out all the play dough stuff. so kids sat at table making their own concocktions. and i said who would like a magic cake.

mys on will just eat anythign really without thinking. but my daughter was impressed. she said a magic cake wow. she tooka bite and had the biggest grin ever, she siad there a rainbow inside it.

it has been such a long time since i made them.

I wonder if hubby will be as excited when he opens his lunch box on the building site , lol.although he is used to having kiddies stuff in his lunch box now. and the other site workers are generally more envious of home amde goodies than the fact it child orentated.

i think my little bean is wanting some of the action, cause as i type this i have a foot or elbow sticking out of my belly. this is the smallest bump i've had in pregancy. the size i am now is about the size i was at 12 weeks with my son. i am loving this pregancy so much . it been so easy so far. ( sorry drifted a bit off topic)
  • ravylesley
    ravylesley Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well I have got my dehydrator brring away in the kitchen drying off some fruits just to see how they go.Thanks for the help Dee it was much appreciated,I still have no idea whatsoever what I did with the instructions:o

Went to Blackburn Market this morning and got absolutely loads of fruit for literally pennies and I'm in the middle of making raspberry sauce to freeze and I've got a big carrier bag full of Bramleys to turn into Apple Jelly later.I love apple jelly but as we dont have our own trees it can turn out to be a bit expensive.They did have some butternut squashes on the stall at 3 for £1 but I never got round to picking them up and I'm regretting it now:mad:

Oh well its New Years Eve and I'm planning to snuggle on the sofa be totally decadent and ring a takeaway and watch a movie.Hope you all have a good evening whether staying in or going out

Lesleyxx
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jcr16 do you by any chance have a recipe for that shepherds pie you made? One thing I have piles of is beans.

Well we're still running on 'overful' freezer etc, there is quite a bit of bread in there but lots more aswell. I did need a few fresh bits which I went and got today, first venture to a shop since Christmas eve. I need to do more using up this month, more to save money than anything else. I did pretty well last month but then we didn't use what we had for 'over Christmas' so should be able to do well this month. 2 boys birthdays this month and next month is DPs and my car tax is due, **sobs in a corner**, so I need to save what I can when I can. Still not much point in cooking or baking a lot here, appetites still not back to normal, sandwiches for lunch and even half of those have ended up back in the fridge.

natzini hope you survived Tesco, I didn't get that brave and went to the Coop & a small bakers instead.

Right, anyway, I came in here mainly to wish you all Happy New Year.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • morwenna
    morwenna Posts: 844 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all :hello: I hate fireworks so I am staying in and have pleanned an evening of batch cooking and baking to try and get ahead for pack lunches before we all go back to work/school.

I really wanted to try Nigella's mini meatloaves (mainly because they use sausage meat & mince and I got some great reduced items. Sausages at 9p!!) But she uses something called A1 steak sauce?? I have never heard of this, I have googled it and it looks it might be like the sauce around the bits in branston, maybe? Can anyone suggest a substitute?

And while I'm here, Happy New Year everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure