Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on

Options

Comments

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    rtandon27 wrote: »
    :DWhat ^^she^^ said!:D

Cheery, does that make it a NSD?!?
    er, no, because i sneaked into the co-op at lunchtime and spent a fiver :o :rotfl:

i never was any good at NSDs... :o :rotfl:
  • DedicatedDFW
    Options
    Hi Cheery :D

Oh a triathlon - sounds exciting :D

i wanted to ask about your food budget - is it £30 a week for the 2 of you? do you find you use some personal spends for food as well or is the £30 sufficient for everything?

I'm trying to cut our food spend down - i'm not extravagant but prices even for basics just seem to be going up all the time :eek: This month anything thats even remotely a food spend i've kept track of - eg i forgot scourers the other day so bought them for cash in a different shop - they would normally come out of the supermarket budget so i jotted that down in my little book - its just to help me get a handle on what i really spend as opposed to what i think i spend ;)

Anywhos - any tips would be gratefully received :D
    CC1:T £[STRIKE]2531[/STRIKE] £1460
    MORTGAGE OVERPAYMENTS: £10575.20 Target £12,100
    MF Date: [STRIKE]August 2042[/STRIKE] May 2035
    Declutter 1000 things by Xmas 2015! 53/1000
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    Hi Cheery :D

i wanted to ask about your food budget - is it £30 a week for the 2 of you? do you find you use some personal spends for food as well or is the £30 sufficient for everything?

Do you want the truth? Er, I actually don't really know :o:rotfl:

For the past few months Mr Cheery has been in charge of the food budget :D We have rather different attitudes to supermarkets, he loves being in them (or at least don't mind) whereas my inclination when faced with one is to run in the opposite direction :p. Some of our most fearsome rows have been in supermarket car parks... :rotfl:

He's also rather more thrifty than me :o and has slightly more time on his hands at the minute, so all food shopping has been well and truly delegated to him :T

I have been handing over £50 a month, and he's been trying to keep it under £100. I don't keep track of what he spends, but he doesn't come back asking for more (which he would if it was going over). He does a big shop a couple of times a month and goes round a few different supermarkets, and knows the prices of all the stuff in each of them :money:

We don't buy a lot of pre-prepared stuff. Breakfast is usually porridge-based, lunch and tea mostly rice, pasta, noodles based, lots of veg (usually whatever's reduced or cheapest, and we've been eating a LOT of frozen spinach in everything lately!) Cheapo yogurts for snacks etc, lots of basics passata for sauces, chick peas etc from the 'ethnic foods' aisle, and giant bags of lentils from either there or the international food shop on the other side of town (we do an occasional stock up of spices). We also eat a LOT of potatoes :p

We've been investigating the local food co-op - they do bulk flour/porridge/lentils etc which look like they might be cheaper than smaller bags, even though they're wholefood/organicy type things :j

What else? We've just bought a slow cooker, which I am LOVING for meaning we don't have to cook right before we eat :j:j

Food budget also covers milk etc purchases throughout the week - I try to let him make those because I'm a right one for walking in for milk and walking out with a bag full of stuff :o

Sometimes yogurt and fruit supplies aren't replenished quite as quickly as I'd like, and I end up buying something at the station on the way to work :eek: but that's not too often, perhaps a couple of times a month. More likely is that I'll pop to the co-op on the way home and grab a bag of bananas or something - probably more expensive than supermarket but not as much as station!

So that's why we've upped the food budget to £130 - to try to cover some of that incidental stuff.

To be honest I *hate* keeping track of every little penny, and Mr Cheery certainly won't, so I suspect we'll never know if it works exactly... :o but it's about right :D

Sorry, that's probably a load of waffle and not much help at all!! :rotfl::rotfl:what do you do??
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    Ooh, forgot to say sometimes on a Friday night we'll walk to the co-op and treat ourselves to a bag of quorn sausages and a freddo :D So technically that should be included too, although often it comes out of the separate 'treats' budget :rotfl: Truly rock n roll, we are :rotfl:

Nothing to declare today - took lunch out with me (but ended up home before lunchtime anyway). Travel expenses paid. Used vouchers for free tea and cake in John Lewis, so that was nice :j :j

oh, except I just remembered some things I did buy... :o :rotfl: See how far out of my brain this has all gone?! :o

£2.99 new brolly - completely lost the old one that I've only had a couple of weeks
    28p notebook
    50p pack of reduced gel pens :D
    £3.66 deodorant/toiletries

Hmm - think I'm going to declare daily spends on here, whatever budget they come out of, quite clearly I'm doing a fair bit of frittering...
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    You know what I love most about my slow cooker??

Coming down from working in the attic to a lovely casseroley smell wafting up the stairs - especially when I'd entirely forgotten I'd put stuff in it earlier :o :rotfl: :rotfl: What a lovely surprise!

I've named it Jeeves - cooks tea for me when I'm busy doing something else :D

Potatoes not quite done yet mind you - but that's no bad thing as if they were I'd be tempted to stop working and I haven't quite finished yet!
  • Pippilongstocking
    Options
    Jeeves!
    Love it.

Love the waft too.

We have a sort of jeeves here.

I cook when I wake up a lot (or should I say I'm NOT awake and staggering waiting for the coffee to kick in) come home and discover something on the top of the stove which is almost ready for tea. I will have totally forgotten.

Gets me every time too.

:D
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
    minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
    :money:Sleeves up folks.:money:
  • DedicatedDFW
    DedicatedDFW Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Cheery,

thanks for such a comprehensive reply :D For us:- I do all of the food shopping- each week i go to the supermarket and on occasion i will pop into another local supermarket to see if they have any reduced items - sadly these are few and far between or the reduced price is way more than i would pay anyway. I only buy 1 loaf and when that runs out i make another as we have bread machine :) I meal plan and this is factored into the shopping list as well as all the standard things needed. Our budget includes wine although i will be making my own soon :D so that should save some pennies. I do buy some own brand stuff and if some items are on a good offer which i know we will use i will buy those as well - if i'm going to need it in the next week or 2 it seems sensible to stock up and save the money ;) We both take packed lunches so there is no extra food spend there. We both pay equally to the food shopping but i am now working with a reduced budget and trying to cut this down further as well :cool:

i use my slow cooker lots too - loving the name jeeves :D

If we have a takeaway that tends to come out of spends budget but we hardly ever have these maybe 1 or 2 a year :)

and i noticed you bought gel pens :D i have so many pens now i am often forcing myself to put lovely and bargainous pens back but i stil *want* them :o
    CC1:T £[STRIKE]2531[/STRIKE] £1460
    MORTGAGE OVERPAYMENTS: £10575.20 Target £12,100
    MF Date: [STRIKE]August 2042[/STRIKE] May 2035
    Declutter 1000 things by Xmas 2015! 53/1000
  • lellybun
    lellybun Posts: 413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Cheery! Great to see you back :j

Love your diary writing style - looking forward to reading the next chapter of your escapades!

Lelly x
    2023 Weekly Cash Envelope Savings Challenge #04

2024 Weekly Cash Envelope Savings Challenge #03
  • boredofbeingathome
    Options
    OOh lovely another Cheery adventure to follow :D
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    Oooh, more lovely people! :j :j :hello: BoB and lellybun, all these lovely old familiar faces :j

DDFW - 'comprehensive' - does that really just mean 'waffly' :D :rotfl:

Our local supermarkets are both crap for reduced stuff. I've seen a box of cornflakes, looked like it had been practically trodden on and the plastic bag sellotaped together, reduced from something like £2.36 to £1.98 :eek: rubbish! Mr Cheery seems far better at hunting out things than me!

He works at home most of the time, and I only travel to work 2 days a week, so that makes things easier as we tend to cook (or eat leftovers) for lunch as well as tea, so no bread/sandwich stuff/crisps or whatever.

[someone just rang and I ended up on the phone for 45 minutes and I now have absolutely no idea where I was going with all that, sorry! :o:rotfl::rotfl:]

Anyway, yet more spends to declare:

£3.67 on 4 pints of milk and 8 half price yogurts :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family