PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• It's temporary. I grew out of it, but the chemo/steroids/fatigue/muscle weakness (and the cat) all consort to make it worse again

I have vertigo from time to time.It’s horrible. The Brandt-Daroff exercises (NHS recommended) were suggested to me and I found they worked (for me, anyway).
    “Tomorrow is another day for decluttering.”
    Decluttering 2023 🏅🏅🏅🏅⭐️⭐️
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Blue_Doggy wrote: »
    I have vertigo from time to time.It’s horrible. The Brandt-Daroff exercises (NHS recommended) were suggested to me and I found they worked (for me, anyway).

Thanks - I've got physio on Weds I'll ask about this, though given the left hand side of my body barely works, I'm not sure how I can make it work - i'm not sure it's vertigo as such, because I don't actually feel dizzy, I just have no balance (which is maybe more steroid/muscle weakness in knees & ankles

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Evening :). Late on parade for me today, Just back from the local theatre watching Ballroom Boys which is a couple of the original guys from Strictly, I would have been home earlier but spent half hour chatting in the car when I dropped my friend home,

Another wet day, but I missed the worst of the rain when I was inside tonight, there was a lot of surface water to drive home in but had stopped raining, like Farway we were yellow weather warning tonight.

Our local 'big' T*sco has a trolley escalator but only to the none food items I rarely go there and even less frequently up stairs :)

Easy food today lunch was some of the vegetable and bean soup made at the weekend followed by cooked fruit and dinner was very similar to Farway, gammon with bubble and squeak and a dollop of piccalilli which finished the jar :)
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • I had vertigo for about 3 or 4 years and the NHS exercises didn't work as I recall. I still get it slightly from time to time. It sucks.:mad:

I ate really healthily yesterday and then I ordered pizza and wedges last night. *Roll eyes*:rotfl:

I am having a green smoothie after my bath. I have a few slices of pizza leftover in the fridge.:D:p
  • Yesterdays "mince" was something with peark barley but I added bacon andtopped with potatoes, was quite nice and some left for today. Have taken some rice and a lump of mince type stuff out, got another portion still in. The reason I am using frozen UFOs is because my back is still so bad I cannot look around in other freezers so am grabbing what has been put into kitchen freezer when l/o from something I have cooked as part of a meal and left in there until I just wanted to grab, which is now.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good afternoon everyone,

I just had my post swallowed:mad:

Sorry to hear your back's still giving you grief whmf <hug>
    Definitely worth having a chat with the physio unrecordings, there a lots of different "vertigo" exercises that may or may not help depending on the underlying cause but certainly are unlikely to do any harm even though it might feel that way as some aggravate the symptoms at first.:eek:
    It's a lovely, bright day out and I'll get a bit more done in the garden but just gentle stuff as the "wonky donkey" was tapping during the night.
    Soup from the freezer again for lunch, spicy potato & cauliflower this time which has been lurking in there since last winter:o. Tonight will be attempt two at making the sausage, black pudding and parsnip bake :) and while the oven is on I'll roast a tray of toms for passatta.
  • caronc wrote: »
    Definitely worth having a chat with the physio unrecordings, there a lots of different "vertigo" exercises that may or may not help depending on the underlying cause but certainly are unlikely to do any harm even though it might feel that way as some aggravate the symptoms at first.:eek:

Been thinking on this, it's more fear than anything maybe - fear that my knee(s) will give out during that crucial step, fear that my numb side will bounce off the open bathroom door and send me headfirst down the stairs (I'm over the latter now). As I really have to concentrate to control my left hand side, I found that I can easily get 'stuck' if I'm distracted - which is half the problem, funny thing the brain...

I'm staying indoors today, bubble & squeak for tea, then bake off on the tv, then snackmasters

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 15 October 2019 at 1:49PM
    Wow, sun came out after the morning mist cleared:)

Into L's first thing, nothing YS for dinner, found a slab of YS fruit cake so took that, and some onions on offer, should see me through until next shop in town on Thursday

Into Doc's I'm now a statistic again on "The waiting list".

Actually I'm on a waiting list to go on a waiting list if that makes sense.

No doubt it's a statistics fiddle somewhere, "only xxx number on waiting list"
    Luckily not too urgent and not writhing on the floor
    At least with computerised booking it only takes a minute to find there's over 6 month waiting list;)

Lunch was corned beef & HM chutney sarnie

Dinner, I was thinking of LO ham in omelette but I may just drag one of the Ice'and on offer curries out & nuke that, if Ok I may get more

PN Ic'lnd offer of week is Chicago Town pizzas 89p, I've had them and they're OK at that <45p each price, as usual box is larger than contents

PS, just seen your post PN, fingers crossed on house
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 October 2019 at 8:24PM
    Good evening everyone,
    Oh fingers crossed PN, hope it works out:D
    unrecordings I was told that fear is quite natural when you have vertigo it's your body's way from trying to "protect" from harm, doesn't make it any easier to live with though. I don't know if it's appropriate for you but worth speaking to the physio about. One of the things I was taught was how to fall (relatively) safely as I had taken a few tumbles and after horribly putting my back during one was anxious of really hurting myself when I went over . That was hugely helpful about taking the edge of my anxiety and has been really useful when needed.

Farway that sounds like a definite statistics fiddle......

I had unexpected visitor today my nephew pitched up while I was eating my lunch looking a tad "rough" to say the least. ;) College is on holiday this week and he'd met up with mates last night which turned into an "all nighter". After a Wetherspoons fry up he'd got the train home he then discovered he had no keys and my sis was at work 50 miles away. :eek: He arrived had some squash and promptly disappeared upstairs for a sleep, but oh the reslience of youth he was just fine when he reappeared several hours later .:rotfl::rotfl:
    I got a bit done outdoors but nothing bendy, I now have more toms needing sorted in the kitchen as I took down the deck baskets. Yesterday's pickings have been inspected,cleaned and are now on trays to ripen. I've a big roasting tin full of ripe ones to cook while the oven is on for tonight's dinner. There are also a few large chillies ready or nearly so, I'll need to look out a large darning needle and get them strung so I can hang them to dry out. :) The chilli plants are in the conservatory so will keep going for a bit as will the two pots of totem tomato plants.

The sausage, black pudding and parsnip bake just needs popping in the oven. There will be LOs but I'll freeze them for another day. I'll pop a spud into bake at the same time and nuke steam some green beans & cabbage. It's chilly here tonight so I'm looking forward to very Autumnal meal:)
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    . £2 at Tesco/Morries, £2.50 elsewhere, I'll keep an eye out for when it's £1 and treat myself. https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/298026060

I nearly brought a bottle of this last time I was in T express but talked myself out of it, I don't drink much squash especially this time of the year. Fingers crossed the house is the right one, at least you're in a good position which is a big plus for a seller

Farway I had an appointment text through to me for the ENT consultant 2nd March :cool: I did re read it

Caronc a sign you're getting old is when you don't get drunk because you can't cope with the hangover :o. I'm just jealous on how the young'ums bounce back so quick :p

It decided to rain just between 1-2 today which put pay to my lunchtime walk :( I hid out in the kitchen to avoid being caught with work :). As least Tai chi tonight compensated for not getting out lunch time

Lunch was more of the veg and bean soup and fruit, I have frozen the last two portions of soup as food has been a bit repetitive this week. Dinner was gammon with new potato air fried chips and LO cauliflower
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback