petition Age Uk Save Free TV for Older People

13»

Comments

• Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    One thing I do disagree with, if 1 person in the house is over 75, then at the moment, a free TV licence is issued. However there may be several other people in the household under 65 who don't have to pay.
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,256
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I wont be signing this as pensioners voted for us to leave the UK. I have no time for them.

I know many many pensioners as I am of that age :rotfl:

Some voted to stay, some voted to leave.

Your comment shows either your stupidity or ignorance, I can’t decide which.

When you say “I have no time for them” do you not realise pensioners aren’t a separate race or species and you will be one some fine day
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    570,940 signatures so far!
  • ToxicWomble
    ToxicWomble Posts: 882
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The population has more people over 75 than at anytime in the past mainly due to the post-war baby boom.
    There is also some very reliable evidence that they are wealthier than at any other time in the past.
    It makes no financial sense to give something away for free to millions of people and expect the rest of the population to pick up the tab.
    I don’t see why I should pay more so that 75 year olds (who probably have more disposable income than me) can have it for free.
    They have a choice like most things in life - if you want it, pay for it. If you can’t/won’t pay then don’t use/have it
  • I have no idea why younger generation think it is ok to blame the elderly for voting leave in the referendom. It has nothing to do with the revoke of tv licence. I say if you do not watch BBC why should you pay the licence fee????? I don't watch it because it is rubish most of the time and I don't listen to radio? So I say what ever your age, if you are like me you should not pay for something you don't use? You would pay for something in a shop and leave on purpos without it???????
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,551
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The system can change, of course but given the current one I can't see why being 75+ should exempt you from the licence fee. I can understand a dispensation for those who have a very low income.
    When I get to 75(not all that long!) I don't expect the Government or BBC to spend money giving me a free licence and if I don't like live TV or Iplayer then I can view not to have a licence.
  • I'm a very few years off 75 and watch very little TV and live alone. I can afford to pay the licence fee and do so - probably costs me £12/hour for what I actually watch but I do listen to the radio and access the BBC website so I am not complaining.

However I can see that people not currently in receipt of income related benefits may still have a low income and the licence fee is borderline for their finances.

What I do think is that if younger people are in the household then the household should pay the full licence, just as it would if the 75+ person was not part of it.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,626
    Forumite
    This is imposed by a gov that does not want an independent TV reporting on its actions. They just want yesmen saying how great they are. That is what they need to keep them in government. It has become acceptable to lie & therefore deceive people about your objectives. Well basically it has just become acceptable to lie!
  • badmemory
    Forumite
    edited 16 November 2019 at 5:02AM
    The population has more people over 75 than at anytime in the past mainly due to the post-war baby boom.
    There is also some very reliable evidence that they are wealthier than at any other time in the past

Wealthier than being in absolute poverty should be a good thing. But actually if you figure out the maths (which does seem a strain for some) post war baby boom could not start until 9 months after demob so we aren't over 75 yet. This pending increase is probably why the gov (well this gov anyway) want to drop us.

How I wish I was wealthier - no DB pension for me - after all I am female. I keep myself & my son on my pension which is well below £20k & for those who believe all over 65s voted leave - I did not! (& don't know any who did in this leave area).

Makes me worry about how aggressive those pollsters were because if they were then I too would probably have lied about how I voted I have done that before. But I do know several in their 40s & 50s who did vote leave. This is why I always query any exit poll. They are totally unreliable.

Can you imagine coming out of a polling station to be confronted by someone with a "symbol" which defines them as being from a party which you do not identify with. I know that I would tell them I voted for them regardless. I would have seen them going in & there is no way I would vote for them whoever they were.
  • badmemory
    Forumite

The war didn't end until mid 1945. That means that the post war baby boom could not have started until early 1946, unless you have managed to decrease the gestation period. Even if born the day the war ended they would still only be 74. Please stop posting falsehoods.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure