PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cupcake help needed!

Comments

• I use wholemeal bread flour 'cos I can't be bothered to have two different wholemeal flours in the cupboard. I know when I use white flour instead, it takes up less liquid.

My fruit bun recipe uses cup measurements and no eggs so probably isn't much use here :D but I soak the raisins first as well.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (24), DS2 (16), and the lurcher.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I use wholemeal bread flour 'cos I can't be bothered to have two different wholemeal flours in the cupboard. I know when I use white flour instead, it takes up less liquid.

My fruit bun recipe uses cup measurements and no eggs so probably isn't much use here :D but I soak the raisins first as well.
    Post please?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I think the mixture is too wet.

Dry the soaked fuit before you add it.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 11 February 2019 at 5:12PM
    OK, the millers aren't answering the phone so I've emailed them and will certainly post what they have to say if and when I get a response.

Ref trying spelt, beware because you might get hooked on it like we did a few years back. They do vary a lot though between makes. We reckon the best is Bacheldre wholemeal spelt, and IMO the most pointless is Tesco's own label. We've tried Doves Farm a couple of times too but can't get enthusiastic about it ;)

PS Off now to dig up the organic leeks to go in the leek pie we're having for tea tonight, and some organic spinach while I'm at it. Needless to say, the pie pastry's wholemeal spelt ... :D
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 12 February 2019 at 12:23AM
    I am now intrigued by spelt flour - have investigated on mysupermarket and unsurprisingly Asda doesn't stock it but Ocado has 10 varieties :D. It's pricey though, so I can quite see why you're fed up of wasting it.

According to this website, if being used instead of standard flour 1.5 times the weight is required. The gluten in it is also more "fragile" than in plain flour (I don't get this, gluten is gluten so perhaps it has a a lower gluten content? Also not sure what that means for mixing techniques either). So you were right to use more flour, but try using 6oz + just over 2 tsp of baking powder for your recipe instead.

The obvious solution would be to ask Paul Hollywood. Interestingly, he avoided the spelt part of the only question asked about it so he needs some pinning down :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

ETA: I found this info on his website. Have you considered using a muffin tray?
    Spelt flour
    Although contains some gluten, people with wheat intolerances often find they can tolerate spelt better than other flour. Spelt is in fact an ancient grain, and an ancestor of modern wheat. Because of its low levels of gluten, it tends to spread outwards whilst proving and baking, and therefore I always suggest that you use a tin when baking with spelt flour at home, as this will create a more balanced loaf.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Oh gosh you'll love this. I had no idea who Paul Hollywood is, so I clicked on your link, looked at the questions, read his first answer "I always weight my ingredients using digital scales. For me it’s the most important piece of my kitchen equipment. It’s more accurate than weighing ..." and wasn't over-impressed :)

Having said that though, "Because of its low levels of gluten, it tends to spread outwards whilst proving and baking" explains the first thing we noticed when we tried baking with spelt flour. Logical enough when you think about it, but the penny hadn't dropped here!
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • I always bake with spelt flour but I use the white one - Dove's Farm. It's expensive but less so if you buy an outer of 6 from Amazon.
    Spelt flour does react differently with liquids so I use very little. I always use an adapted version of Nigella's standard cake recipe.

6oz Flour
    4oz Butter/Marg
    2oz Sugar
    2 Eggs
    1tsp Baking Powder
    Sultanas or whatever to taste

Splash of milk to moisten

Make sure butter is very soft.

This is an all-in-one recipe so just that - all in a bowl and mix well (I use my stand mixer). Distribute amongst 12 cupcake cases placed inside a cupcake tray. Bake at 160ish for around 15 - 20 mins.

This works perfectly for me every time - never failed yet!
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    if you think the issue is due to soaked fruit, soak them in vodka. if you use 100 Proof, 50% is alcohol and should evaporate leaving 50% water
  • lucyhope
    lucyhope Posts: 496 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    I think your oven might be too hot, a cake decorating group I'm in on Facebook recommends low and slow for both cakes and cupcakes
    Sealed Pot Challenge member 28
    2018 total £1520
    2019 total £8995
  • VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Post please?

(American cup measurements: 1 cup = 250 ml, 1/2 cup = 125ml, 1/3 cup = 80 ml, 1/4 cup = 60 ml. I got mine from Sainsbobs.)

Put the kettle on...

Into a pyrex pudding basin put 1 cup of raisins or other dried fruit, cup of soft brown sugar - don't worry about any lumps in the sugar you found lurking at the back of the cupboard. Now the kettle should be hot, so add 1 cup of boiling water and a splash more depending on what flour you are using. (White flour will only need 1 cup of water.) Drop a tea bag into the basin from the box someone at work gave me and give it all a gentle stir to dissolve the sugar but not break the tea bag or better still, stir before adding the tea.

(If you use loose tea, brew a pot and pour a cup of tea into the bowl instead of plain water.)

Make a cup of tea with the rest of the water from the kettle, cover the pudding basin (I've got some knacky little stretchy covers like shower caps, or use a side plate). Do useful stuff while letting raisins soak and water cool (put washing up away, get washing off line, drink cup of tea, remind DS2 to do homework, have argument with DS2 about homework, take dog for restorative walk...)

Get bun tins ready for 36 buns (I have 24 silicone liners as well as paper cases that I use if taking the cakes to work etc, or you can grease the tins) and preheat oven to 180° C or 160°C for my fan oven.

Wash and dice a medium to large apple and add to raisin mix (try to remember to fish tea bag out first...).

Medium mixing bowl, 1 and 1/4 cups of plain wholemeal flour, 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda, spice (I like 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/2 tsp ground ginger), and mix well (I use a whisk to make sure there are no lumps).

Add raisin mix, 1/4 cup of bland oil (I use rapeseed, do not use extra virgin olive oil as the taste is too strong), 1 tablespoon vinegar. Mix gently but thoroughly.

Add 1 tablespoon to each bun cavity and bake for 12 minutes in my oven... If your oven is fast, check at 10, but I've never had them ready then. The oven at work is pretty rubbish so they take 15 to 18 minutes there.

Do cool before eating as the fruit sticks to the cases. I freeze most of the batch in a large tub so I can take out a few each day for lunch boxes.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (24), DS2 (16), and the lurcher.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure