Help with childcare

Hi again,

Not sure if this is right place to post. Today I had my first Work Search Interview but he was not helpful answering my questions or giving any solutions.

I have enquired into local nurseries in my area and a lot of the ones attached to schools are full, so I have looked at private nurseries - but they all require a full or half a months payment upfront. I am feeling a little tearful and stressed now that I write this. How do I to afford around £550-£1,100 full-time childcare upfront? I know I can claim this back and get 85% paid for me but this does not solve the situation. I'm now terrified that I won't be able to take employment and get sanctioned because I cannot afford to pay childcare in order to go to work.

Some of the jobs I have applied for require an immediate start, I have asked for telephone interviews because I don't think it would look too good if I took my child with me to an interview. I do not have any living family or relatives locally and I have had to be relocated to a new town, so I do not know anyone I can trust to take care of my child. My child turns 4 later this year and should be going to Reception in September.

Does anyone know of any grants or schemes that could help me? Or any advice, thank you

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Could your family lend you the money? Could you take out a loan or do you have a credit card that you could use?

Regarding short-term care while you attend interviews, you need to ask around the registered childminders in your area. You should be able to find these via Ofstead or a Childminding Agency. Ringing up the local agencies to ask about the availability of short-term care would problably be a good idea.

If you find that the is no provision in the town, you may just have found your job: setup as a child-minder.

This website might be useful to you: https://childmindinguk.com
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure