Husband going to Canada for one month - advice on getting money before going.

GillyFlower
GillyFlower Posts: 147
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Forumite
edited 5 August 2018 at 10:51AM in Flights, currency & car hire
Advice would be appreciated. My husband is going to Canada to see his brother for one month.His only skill with plastic is the odd occasion paying with his debit card or getting cash out of machine.

I have heard Martin talking about Halifax Clarity Card and then my husband wants to be old fashioned and get his money before he goes. (Went about 5 years ago and was cross he got charged for the service from the Post Office)

My concern is him carrying cash.

So we are are Travel Virgins - if he had a Halifax Card there is not problem paying balance immediately on statement. (Could statement come before he returns and can i manage it here at home?)

Thank you

P.S. I know we need to get our heads around this about charges. I see someone said, if I am right, going to a cash machine using Halifax abroad - no you don't get charged but the 'company' machine charged the person.

But ? Starling bank account didn't ??? Hence - do I need to make sure husband knows where he is sticking his card!!!:(

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    If it doesn't charge for Starling it won't charge for the Clarity. Vice versa is also true.

The cards make no charge, but quite often Canadian ATM's do. C$2 to C$5 is usual.

If he can find ATM that charge either nothing or C$2, a C$200 ATM withdrawal equates to just 1%. So still better value than trying to obtain cash here.
    In addition, the Clarity allows for withdrawals for up to C$840 each time, reducing the total fee to a little as 0.22% for cash withdrawals.
    He should try to use the card for payments when he can.

https://transferwise.com/gb/blog/atms-in-canada
  • Thank you - I have just printed out relevant pages - which will read in depth later. I see Transferwise could be used using his brothers bank account I guess. But looking in my crystal ball it could be complicated e.g. how much have I left, etc. My husband would feel he is asking his brother for money even if it is his.

Would it be best to go two ways e,g, Clarity plus a prepaid travel card that I think I see discussed?:(
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,124
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I wouldn't take cash unless someone specifically told me I'd need it; the only "Western" country I've found it necessary is Holland.
  • Transfer the money over to the brother and get him to withdraw it when your husband needs it?
  • So basically getting Canadian Dollars here and taking them with you in 'today's world' is not cost effective/maybe not safe - is that right?
  • Did wonder about transfer to brother see above - what if his brother has cash problems in his bank? Not something you ask - trusting he hasn't might be fool hardy I don't know.

Then what happens if there is a balance left - how is it converted back? Is it a case of asking his brother to transfer back to our bank in UK?
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,547
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    So basically getting Canadian Dollars here and taking them with you in 'today's world' is not cost effective/maybe not safe - is that right?
    That's right, including prepaid cards to load dollars.

You can use a card to pay for most things in Canada, the best and simplest option is a Starling Bank account and debit card if he uses a smartphone, or loot.io prepaid which can also be accessed online.

No need for all the complications of credit cards, involving his brother etc. I think the TransferWise blog link is about which ATMs charge, for reference.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • GillyFlower
    Forumite
    This is so helpful all your contributions -

1. So my husband is 75 years old and doesn't use a phone or computer. (Has mastered asking Google questions on Tablet that's all.)

Hence I think Starling is out isn't it?

2. Are we back to applying for something like the Halifax Clarity Card?
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    This is so helpful all your contributions -

1. So my husband is 75 years old and doesn't use a phone or computer. (Has mastered asking Google questions on Tablet that's all.)

Hence I think Starling is out isn't it?

2. Are we back to applying for something like the Halifax Clarity Card?

Halifax Clarity with a Virgin Money Essential Current Account as a back-up/alternative.

The Essential account debit card doesn't charge for usage abroad, but charges £1.50 for ATM withdrawals abroad.
    In the case of having only the Essentials debit card, I would take out a chunk of cash on arrival and keep that for cash only transactions. Using the card to pay for items whenever possible.
    You can easily transfer funds to the account whenever necessary.
    But always useful to have a credit card for deposits etc
  • GillyFlower
    Forumite
    edited 5 August 2018 at 4:21PM
    1. Halifax Clarity - will statement be emailed? In other words if it is due whilst he is away can I see account and pay it online to save costs?

2. Talking about a Virgin Current Account - he does have a NatWest Current Account is it worth talking to them or are their fees too high?

Phew - like studying for an exam.

Thank you

P.S. Just saw article from this site they do mention Barclaycard Travel Card??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure