PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Land Registry questions

Comments

• pernes
    pernes Posts: 270
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Pernes - if you have applied for official copies then these are normally processed within 3-5 working days. Then add in the postal timescale.

If still within that timeframe then I would hold fire a little longer. If you are concerned then worth checking if the cheque has been banked to confirm we received the application.

If outside of that timeframe and you wish to chase/query then you can use our contact form to provide the specific details and we can check and email you back.
    Thanks for the reply, I sent the form last Thursday morning the cheque has been cashed. I noted my email address on the form so will I be emailed or sent copies in post?
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,755
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Organisation Representative
    pernes wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, I sent the form last Thursday morning the cheque has been cashed. I noted my email address on the form so will I be emailed or sent copies in post?

It's a postal service and they are issued by 2nd class post. As such I would not expect you to receive them until later this week.

Leases are often held in paper format in storage so have to be retrieved to be scanned/copied. There is a slight chance that may adda day or two of delay. But if the cheque has been banked then you know we have it and are processing it.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • pernes
    pernes Posts: 270
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It's a postal service and they are issued by 2nd class post. As such I would not expect you to receive them until later this week.

Leases are often held in paper format in storage so have to be retrieved to be scanned/copied. There is a slight chance that may adda day or two of delay. But if the cheque has been banked then you know we have it and are processing it.

Thanks, roll on when more of this information can be downloaded instantly like the titles etc!
  • Miss_$
    Miss_$ Posts: 171
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi All,
    We bought a house in May this year and behind us is some land. We are interested in purchasing some of this land to make our garden bigger.
    I have downloaded the Title plans and Register Titles from land registry to find out who the owner is, I have this information however and I am really struggling to understand what the wording means on the title register.

The plan is outlined in red, and directly behind our house an area of land is tinted in pink.
    Now on the title register on the front it gives me the registered owners.
    Under the heading Proprietorship Register is states the following
    This register specifies the class of title and identifies the owner. It contains any entries that affect the right of disposal
    Title absolute
    (23.12.1999) Caution affecting the land tinted pink on the title plan in favour of Walton Homes Limited (then it states their address)

What does this mean? I am a little confused!!!

Anyone who can understand these documents i would really appreciate your help.

Many thanks
    Sarah
  • Land_Registry
    pernes wrote: »
    Thanks, roll on when more of this information can be downloaded instantly like the titles etc!

Pernes Just to manage your expectations here but it's unlikely as we did make 'filed' documents available online several years back but the overriding customer view was that this was too big a 'fraud risk' so that option was withdrawn
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Land_Registry
    Miss_$ wrote: »
    Hi All,
    We bought a house in May this year and behind us is some land. We are interested in purchasing some of this land to make our garden bigger.
    I have downloaded the Title plans and Register Titles from land registry to find out who the owner is, I have this information however and I am really struggling to understand what the wording means on the title register.

The plan is outlined in red, and directly behind our house an area of land is tinted in pink.
    Now on the title register on the front it gives me the registered owners.
    Under the heading Proprietorship Register is states the following
    This register specifies the class of title and identifies the owner. It contains any entries that affect the right of disposal
    Title absolute
    (23.12.1999) Caution affecting the land tinted pink on the title plan in favour of Walton Homes Limited (then it states their address)

What does this mean? I am a little confused!!!

Anyone who can understand these documents i would really appreciate your help.

Many thanks
    Sarah

A caution is effectively a third party interest so the named cautioner has an interest in the pink land. Cautions are no longer registerable and such interests are now protected by Notices/restrictions. Our PG 19 section 6/appendix A explains more about such interests and provides some examples of the types if interests that can be protected on the register

You can apply for a copy of the 'Caution application form' itself which will give a little more detail.
  • Miss_$
    Miss_$ Posts: 171
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    A caution is effectively a third party interest so the named cautioner has an interest in the pink land. Cautions are no longer registerable and such interests are now protected by Notices/restrictions. Our PG 19 section 6/appendix A explains more about such interests and provides some examples of the types if interests that can be protected on the register

You can apply for a copy of the 'Caution application form' itself which will give a little more detail.

Thank you. So does that mean it's protected and they cannot do anything with the land?
  • Land_Registry
    Miss_$ wrote: »
    Thank you. So does that mean it's protected and they cannot do anything with the land?

Not too sure what you mean by protected and can't do anything with the land. To understand the caution entry you need to understand what their interest is and how it impacts ont he land/the legal owner.

The caution protects Ward Homes' interest, whatever that may be. What you cna do with land is often decided by what is registered as well as what restricitons the local authority have placed on it's use.

So you could ask the legal owner; you could ask Ward Homes; or you could check the application form used to register the cuation to see what it refers to. Once you have done one of those and got the answer you should be able to answer both questions re protection and do anything with it, includng whether it's worth you trying to buy it.

For example, let's say the cuation is protecting an interest whereby Ward Homes have an option to buy the pink land. If you buy that land of the current legal owner they might release the option form that part or they may say yes, you can have it but our option is still in place over that part and the remainder of the pink.

So you need to find the answer to the first question before you then try and decide what to do next
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    We have made an offer on a property however on doing a Land Registry search we can find no details for it.
    Should we ask the vendor (it's a Probate property) to register it prior to completion? We don't want to be the ones footing the solicitor's bill for their oversight.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,865
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Margot123 wrote: »
    We have made an offer on a property however on doing a Land Registry search we can find no details for it.
    Should we ask the vendor (it's a Probate property) to register it prior to completion? We don't want to be the ones footing the solicitor's bill for their oversight.

If it was last sold over 30 years ago it would not have been registered. As such it isn't an oversight, but just something that wouldn't have happened as a matter of routine.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback