Bathroom Light Fitting

Options
Hi, I have a 4D 4 pin light fitting in my bathroom. Recently it stopped working, no bulb works. So have asked for some quotes to fix it. A tradesman just got in touch and said it would be better to switch the fitting to an LED fitting (which I think would be nice anyway)

He quotes £120 to do the work with the parts. Is that a decent price? am in Edinburgh City Center if that's any help.
Debenhams CLEAR||AMEX CLEAR||Barclay Card CLEAR||Halifax CLEAR
Council Tax 15/16/17 CLEAR
Updated: 30/6/2017

Comments

• shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    ethranes wrote: »
    He quotes £120 to do the work with the parts. Is that a decent price? am in Edinburgh City Center if that's any help.

From the information given, it's not really possible to say if it's a good price or not.
    He may be fitting a very good quality LED light that costs £100 and charging you £20 for the work in which case it would be very good value or it might be a cheap and nasty £10 light with labour costing £110 which won'r be such a good deal.

It also depends on what the problem is. If it's just a failed lamp holder then it shouldn't take long to change but if it's a wiring problem somewhere, the time taken to diagnose and repair could be far longer.
  • MisterP123
    Options
    I'm gonna put my neck on the line here and say its extortionate!

Has he told you what the fault is? Could be the switch for all we know.

Unless of course, he's diagnosed a cable fault somewhere, then it could well be a bargain!
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MisterP123 wrote: »
    I'm gonna put my neck on the line here and say its extortionate!

Has he told you what the fault is? Could be the switch for all we know.

Unless of course, he's diagnosed a cable fault somewhere, then it could well be a bargain!

I don't agree that it's extortionate. The LED luminaire would likely cost in the range of around £50 on its own (could be more to be fair as we don't know much about what is being sourced) before labour is added.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • MisterP123
    Options
    Risteard wrote: »
    I don't agree that it's extortionate. The LED luminaire would likely cost in the range of around £50 on its own (could be more to be fair as we don't know much about what is being sourced) before labour is added.

Knowing what wholesalers charge for an "LED luminaire" that will hold up in an industrial environment, it's extortionate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure