Contract carried over from liquidated company

Options
Hi after some advice

Right this is a little complicated I have been working for the same company for the past 10+ years now it was taken over a couple of years ago and run into the ground by the new managment and in turn liquidated. The company has carried on trading under the same name and to the public and it would apear that nothing had changed. But I now get paid by the new company which is still owned by the same family and run by the same people.
I have been told that my contract has not changed and has been moved to the new company but i got home the other night and there was a letter from the tax man explaining that i was on emergency tax so i gave them a ring and was told that it was because they had not received my p45 from the preveus company. Now i dont know if i have been screwed out of redundancy would there have been a p45 if my contract had carried on? how can i find out what on earth is happening without asking managment ??

Comments

• Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think you're within your rights to talk to your managers about it if you've been told that by HMRC, but approach it in a constructive way. I'm not a payroll expert by any means but it looks like the previous employer didn't notify HMRC properly that you had left their employ and had moved to someone else.

You're not redundant if you've got a job and still working.

In your position the main thing I would be worrying about is your length of service being preserved, as it could have massive ramifications for statutory rights especially redundancy pay if that happens down the line. So I think it's worth talking to your employer in a kind of 'What's the situation with the transfer and my job as I've had this from HMRC?' kind of way.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure