PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Land Registry questions

Options

Comments

• Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,780 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    smiffy015 wrote: »
    A court has ordered that a rectification of deeds should be applied for to the Land Registry for a carport that is beneath our master bedroom that never had any lease put in place when the houses were built 10 years ago. Long story short, we did not contest this as after 4 years of solicitor fees we have given in to the building company and let them have it. The problem is that now we are SSTC on our house with Taylor Wimpey who we are part exchanging with on a new build. They are now saying that they need the paperwork from the land registry before any contracts can be exchanged. According to our solicitor it is down to building company's solicitors to contact the land registry to get it all arranged. We can't afford for them to drag their heels with this.. how long would the land registry take to draw up the new paperwork, does anyone know? We really need to get this sorted ASAP as I'm worried Taylor Wimpey will pull out of the part exchange and we have already paid over 10k for the options on the new build as this needed doing before the roof got put on.

smiffy015 if they contact us and explain the urgency then we can expedite the process. This generally means that the wait time before it is considered is reduced considerably, normally to around 10 working days.
    Then everything depends on it all being in order of course
    You need to press the solicitors to confirm that they have contacted us to request expedition and supplied the details as to the urgency involved.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Land_Registry
    Options
    Lokolo_2 wrote: »
    I have paid for a lease extension to my flat which was agreed in August 2017, 3 months ago I heard from my solicitor that it is still pending upload to the Land Registry. I am now in the process of selling my flat and the solicitor has provided my memo of sale to the land registry in an attempt to expedite uploading the new lease. My question is how long does this take, and is there any way it can be sorted quicker? I am at the stage in the sale where the buyer needs to see proof of the new lease and this delay is slowing down the process unfortunately.

I am happy to PM details if this helps, appreciate any help.

Lokolo 2 same scenario as smiffy above so if expedited then the wait time is much less. It can't be done any quicker than being expedited so you need to ask the solicitor to confirm that has taken place and whether we have raised any issues over their application - they should be aware of what is happening
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • AH90
    AH90 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Hi,

I’m currently in the process of buying a property which has been in the same family since it was built in the 30’s so is unregistered. From what I’ve understood from my solicitor is that the document that is used in these circumstances is an Assent along with death certificates. One of the names on the assent isn’t a problem, however the other name on the accent doesn’t match the death certificate. On the accent gives the full name, however on the death certificate only a shortened version of their name is given with the surname.
    The sellers solicitors have been insisting for over 2 months that this would be acceptable to the land registry. But our solicitor has said it is unlikely that this would be accepted and doesn’t want to be left with issues explaining the discrepancies to the land registry if we accepted the assent. Our solicitor has been pushing for voluntary registration which they have been avoiding for weeks now.
    So our solicitor has asked the sellers solicitor to get in contact with the land registry to get in writing whether the assent would be accepted with the discrepancies, which they have also refused to do.
    So my question is just that, would it be acceptable?

Many thanks
  • PiggyBank01
    PiggyBank01 Posts: 22 Forumite
    edited 12 April 2018 at 3:54PM
    Options
    Hi Land Registry,

I had already created a thread and as I can`t send you a PM, I`ll can only post the link to my thread in order to ask you to take a look and to avoid cross-posting.

My query is around Prescriptive Easements Over Unregistered Land.

The thread is here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5826005

Thank you in advance.
  • dougybrown
    Options
    Hi Land Registry!
    Thanks for answering my questions, no need to apologise about any delay, just really grateful that you replied!

One further question or two if you don't mind (I'm sure I'll have more as I read the links/guidance you posted!), since I am the personal representative as well as one of the transferees, am I right in thinking that I do not need to complete an ID1, can you confirm? As the assent will be to my sister and myself, do I need an ID1 for my sister or am I able to certify her identity?
  • RegWorts
    RegWorts Posts: 7,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A family member is really interested in buying a house that backs onto a local park owned by the Parish Council.

There is a gate in the fence at the bottom of the garden that has been there for a few years but there is no mention in the Land Registry Title Deeds of whether there is a legal right of access to the park by using this gate. ( The fence is owned by the house)

Is there such a thing as a prescriptive right of access that can be claimed if this gate has been used for a number of years .....and if so is it 20 years or less?

This house ( in England ) has just come on the market so a decision has not been made whether to buy it or not, meaning that a solicitor has not been engaged yet.

The Land Registry documents downloaded via the Internet was the initial quicker, easier and much cheaper option to check first before asking a solicitor

Thanks
  • Land_Registry
    edited 13 April 2018 at 8:51AM
    Options
    AH90 wrote: »
    Hi,

I!!!8217;m currently in the process of buying a property which has been in the same family since it was built in the 30!!!8217;s so is unregistered. From what I!!!8217;ve understood from my solicitor is that the document that is used in these circumstances is an Assent along with death certificates. One of the names on the assent isn!!!8217;t a problem, however the other name on the accent doesn!!!8217;t match the death certificate. On the accent gives the full name, however on the death certificate only a shortened version of their name is given with the surname.
    The sellers solicitors have been insisting for over 2 months that this would be acceptable to the land registry. But our solicitor has said it is unlikely that this would be accepted and doesn!!!8217;t want to be left with issues explaining the discrepancies to the land registry if we accepted the assent. Our solicitor has been pushing for voluntary registration which they have been avoiding for weeks now.
    So our solicitor has asked the sellers solicitor to get in contact with the land registry to get in writing whether the assent would be accepted with the discrepancies, which they have also refused to do.
    So my question is just that, would it be acceptable?

Many thanks

AH90 i think you may need to double check the details of the problem

If the owner has died then the executor will need probate and the Assent then refers to the executor as being the personal representative in that capacity

And if they are selling to you that would be by way of a Transfer, by the executor, to you.

Can you check/clarify please as it's probate and deed that normally matter here. Not death certificate
  • Land_Registry
    Options
    dougybrown wrote: »
    Hi Land Registry!
    Thanks for answering my questions, no need to apologise about any delay, just really grateful that you replied!

One further question or two if you don't mind (I'm sure I'll have more as I read the links/guidance you posted!), since I am the personal representative as well as one of the transferees, am I right in thinking that I do not need to complete an ID1, can you confirm? As the assent will be to my sister and myself, do I need an ID1 for my sister or am I able to certify her identity?

We don't need ID verification fir the executir(s) as probate covers that aspect. So if your sister is only a beneficiary then we need ID verification for her. You can't do that so you'll need to follow the form ID1 and guidance to see how that is completed
  • Land_Registry
    Options
    RegWorts wrote: »
    A family member is really interested in buying a house that backs onto a local park owned by the Parish Council.

There is a gate in the fence at the bottom of the garden that has been there for a few years but there is no mention in the Land Registry Title Deeds of whether there is a legal right of access to the park by using this gate. ( The fence is owned by the house)

Is there such a thing as a prescriptive right of access that can be claimed if this gate has been used for a number of years .....and if so is it 20 years or less?

This house ( in England ) has just come on the market so a decision has not been made whether to buy it or not, meaning that a solicitor has not been engaged yet.

The Land Registry documents downloaded via the Internet was the initial quicker, easier and much cheaper option to check first before asking a solicitor

Thanks

RegWorts 20 years minimum and have a read of our PG52 for wider guidance
  • AH90
    AH90 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    AH90 i think you may need to double check the details of the problem

If the owner has died then the executor will need probate and the Assent then refers to the executor as being the personal representative in that capacity

And if they are selling to you that woukd be by way of a Transfer, by the executor, to you.

Can you check/clarify please as it's probate and deed that normally matter here. Not death certificate

Thanks for your response. Our solicitor has said it’s all quite complicated. If it helps from what I understand the house has been granted probate to the children of the deceased. But i think the assent is from the 1970’s and is accented from the grandparents to the now deceased parents. So I don’t think the executors are referred to on the accent.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback