PIP paid into wrong Bank Account

I made a PIP claim on behalf of my mum. Unfortunately she gave me the wrong bank details and DWP has paid her back payment into wrong account. They say they won't reissue payment as I gave them the wrong details. The bank can't trace the payment as I don't know which bank account the payment went into. The DWP can't tell us the bank details due to the Data Protection Act. Please help someone.

Comments

• If your mum gave you the wrong bank details surely she knows them? She would have to have known the account number sort code and other bank details for them to have paid the money to this account?
    Failing all else you mum might have to speak to someone higher up the food chain at the DWP to get this sorted
    Other than that I'm not sure
  • Unfortunately the she's lost the details and her partner can't find her bank card or bank statements either. Quite frustrating as her mental health has quite deteriorated recently. All I can think of there was one digit wrong with the account number I gave over the phone possibly.
    Does DWP give bank account details to a Freedom of Information Request ? Only way I can see around it.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Even if you do find out where the money went, I believe it will be difficult to recover the money. You did not make the payment and may need to ask DWP to request the refund.https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/send-money-wrong-account
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • I can only hope for a good outcome :cry:
  • Danday
    Danday Posts: 436 Forumite
    missile wrote: »
    Even if you do find out where the money went, I believe it will be difficult to recover the money. You did not make the payment and may need to ask DWP to request the refund.https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/send-money-wrong-account
    This would never have happened if they still gave people the option of giro payments. Personally I hate direct payments, the onus has moved to the claimant to ensure that they give the correct sort codes and account number. Previously all you had to do was tell them where you lived. If it went missing they would send out another payment. The DWP would have to cover the loss and cost not the claimant.
  • I wish they sent back payments by giro also :cry:
  • Wonder how many payments made by giro got 'lost' and were reissued before there were direct payments.
  • Danday
    Danday Posts: 436 Forumite
    No idea, probably very few. But with that system the claimant was guaranteed the money if they did go astray. Finding that your money has been credited now to someone else maybe because a 1 looked like a 7 on the claim form and then not being able to get it back is plainly wrong.

I liked the Post Office payment books then the giros that replaced them.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Can you phone them with your mother there and get her to give permission to speak to you?

Is your mother capable of signing a Power of Attorney? If so, you should consider it urgently.
  • piefeet
    piefeet Posts: 15 Forumite
    errm ask for a copy of the claim form?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills