Apple Pay in Asda/Lidl

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    aj23 wrote: »
    'may be inseparable form their phone' - Therein lies the social problem of society today.
    Some would say that pompous generalisations from reactionary types who apparently believe that they speak for others are a bit of an issue too!
  • aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 3 July 2018 at 7:44PM
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Some would say that pompous generalisations from reactionary types who apparently believe that they speak for others are a bit of an issue too!

It's not though is it, with there being a crisis amongst children not developing social skills due to being plonked in front of iPads all the time.

Perhaps your pompous generalisation that no one is allowed an opinion and yours is superior is a bit of an issue too! I'm never claimed to speak for others, unlike some.
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,819 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    venomx wrote: »
    So Aldi accept payments larger than £30 with Apple Pay.

Are Asda and Lidl the same, or is there a limit ?

Thanks

Asda latest software updated tills clearly display contactless payments upto £30.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Dandytf wrote: »
    Asda latest software updated tills clearly display contactless payments upto £30.
    The latest update introduced two payment options for card: "debit or credit card" and "contactless up to £30". You can press either and pay by chip+PIN or contactless, regardless of what you chose on-screen.

The contactless option doesn't come up for spends of over £30, but the machine allows contactless anyway (via device verification).
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    aj23 wrote: »
    It's not though is it, with there being a crisis amongst children not developing social skills due to being plonked in front of iPads all the time.

Perhaps your pompous generalisation that no one is allowed an opinion and yours is superior is a bit of an issue too! I'm never claimed to speak for others, unlike some.
    On the contrary, everyone is of course entitled to their opinion and it would be pretty dull if we all shared the same ones, but it's always best to recognise the distinction between inherently debatable opinions (such as, say, "I feel/think that phones are 'the social problem of society today'") and projecting these as if they were indisputable facts....
  • Dandytf
    I enjoy technology as per my multiple devices answer.
    Though I'm at a point where I'm considering avoiding any new contracts which does have the potential to save a considerable amount every few weeks.
    Let's see how interest rates climb -then I'll decide what is more important.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    venomx wrote: »
    So Aldi accept payments larger than £30 with Apple Pay.

Are Asda and Lidl the same, or is there a limit ?

Thanks

In my case at least not true: I use Apple Pay in all three of those stores for anything even for amounts of no more than a fiver. On the rare occasions I shop in Tesco I always use PayQwik.

In fact I could go further and recognise that the £30 lower limit stated in the quoted post should actually be the upper limit allowed for contactless payments. I do know that some retailers allow mobile contactless payments beyond the contactless upper limit but that circumvents the security of contactless.

Probably the only problem I've found is when my Amex card is linked to Apple Pay and the store doesn't accept Amex contactless, i.e. Wilko.
  • knack92
    knack92 Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Anthorn wrote: »
    In my case at least not true: I use Apple Pay in all three of those stores for anything even for amounts of no more than a fiver. On the rare occasions I shop in Tesco I always use PayQwik.

In fact I could go further and recognise that the £30 lower limit stated in the quoted post should actually be the upper limit allowed for contactless payments. I do know that some retailers allow mobile contactless payments beyond the contactless upper limit but that circumvents the security of contactless.

Probably the only problem I've found is when my Amex card is linked to Apple Pay and the store doesn't accept Amex contactless, i.e. Wilko.

What security is circumvented? As Apple Pay requires verification by passcode/biometrics it adds security that doesn’t exist with non device contactless payments. An Apple Pay payment is much more secure than a contactless card payment and I’d argue more secure than a chip and pin payment too.
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I do know that some retailers allow mobile contactless payments beyond the contactless upper limit but that circumvents the security of contactless.

It doesn’t circumvent anything - ApplePay requires two step authorisation (unlike contactless which is just one step), so ApplePay is at least as secure as chip and pin (or in some cases significantly more secure, I have an 8 digit password with letters numbers and punctuation to use ApplePay, much more secure than a 4 digit PIN). It’s this additional security that means some retailers have lifted the £30 contactless limit for mobile payments. Hopefully more will follow suit!
  • Dandytf
    glider3560 wrote: »
    The latest update introduced two payment options for card: "debit or credit card" and "contactless up to £30". You can press either and pay by chip+PIN or contactless, regardless of what you chose on-screen.

The contactless option doesn't come up for spends of over £30, but the machine allows contactless anyway (via device verification).

Thanks I'm a consumer, appreciate your retail knowledge
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure