PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,579
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    It's been a 'scarf' week for me.

From our hospice shop, a 100% silk long scarf in shades of maroon, dark rose, grey, lilac and taupe oblongs. £1.50

From Sue Ryder a very large, super-soft maroon shawl with flecks of all colours in it. £1.50
    No label, feels like cashmere - but what do I know? :rotfl:
    I've decided not to put it in the freezer.
    I'm wearing the latter today, it's sometimes cold in the pub.
  • Pollycat
    Forumite
    Wizzbang wrote: »
    Primark leggings are see-through - I cringe when I see people wearing them! Next leggings were awful quality too though - almost immediately sagged at the knees. I am currently rating Lidl (after some people rated them on these forums), although the sizing tends to come up small the quality is fabulous. I only buy cotton leggings though, at least 95% cotton and 5% elastane. Lidl's are even organic sometimes. River Island are great jeggings- might be a tad expensive, but last for years and are wonderfully comfortable with a wide waistband. Wish I could find high quality leggings with a wide waistband again.
    Not sure of the composition but M&S do some leggings with wide waistbands.
    At least 3 of the pairs I bought in the post-Christmas 90% sale have a 2" wide waistband.
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,278
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Mir! wrote: »
    Must have been influenced by the weather as my only purchase was a b/n nightshirt-type garment in a blue check pattern, made from something that reminds me of the old fashioned flannelette, (do they still make that?), feels so warm and cosy! Priced at £1. :)

OMG, I would love something like that, must be so warm in this weather.:) I sleep in flannel shirts, but a nightshirt would be even better.
  • Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Zara leggings have a lovely wide elastic top.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,023
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I braved the weather and went to Nettlebed this morning - it was really miserable, bitterly cold with horizontal sleet stinging my face. On the plus side hardly anybody else was there, and on the double plus side they opened all the stalls very early so nobody had to queue. I didn!!!8217;t spend much (about £10 in total judging from what!!!8217;s left in my purse) and I bought some quite random things this time:

One of those plastic stick things for throwing tennis balls for the dog (we managed to snap ours)

A boxed, new, wooden Limbo set (younger daughter has a lot of summer parties and loves garden games)

A boxed, new set of brackets for making a saw horse (no idea how this works, Mister CJ was thrilled though)

An electric can opener (mine broke last week)

A brand new electric sandwich toaster

A set of craft scissors, the ones which cut different shaped wavy lines.

A large jar of marbles (daughter who is teacher uses these as a reward system apparently)

About a dozen small toys - I am going to make a !!!8220;Grandma!!!8217;s special treasure box!!!8221; of items which tiny grandson can play with when he comes to visit, and these (little dinosaurs, a small wooden car, chunky wooden figures of spacemen etc) will be a brilliant start to that collection.

Three new cuddly toys for Rufus the wonder dog. He!!!8217;s ripped the head off the toy lamb already, grr!

Two small oblong oven-to-freezer dishes (I!!!8217;m trying to build up a collection of inexpensive non plastic freezable containers)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 17 March 2018 at 5:06PM
    I've been bagging up a load of stuff to go to the chazzer (mainly at my mum's insistence :( , its formed a mountain under my stairs) and will drop it off in one go when I'm finished. I dived into couple of chazzers lately, mainly because I needed a walk and a break. Yesterday I bought a personalised stamping kit for £2, and today a couple of BN good quality mugs for 50p each.

I also bought my mum a part silk Phase Eight blouse for £3 - more than I would normally pay in a chazzer but this brand always looks good on her, it was in good condition AND yes I'm afraid I was swayed by the brand name.

I resisted a beautiful silk Monsoon lined dress in my size for £3 - for the simple reason it was dry clean only. That's not an outfit, that's an investment.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Pollycat
    Forumite
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I also bought my mum a part silk Phase Eight blouse for £3 - more than I would normally pay in a chazzer but this brand always looks good on her, it was in good condition AND yes I'm afraid I was swayed by the brand name.
    Whoa!
    That's a pretty good bargain. :)
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I resisted a beautiful silk Monsoon lined dress in my size for £3 - for the simple reason it was dry clean only. That's not an outfit, that's an investment.
    I tend not to take much (any) notice of washing instructions but would maybe be wary of a lined dress as the lining may wash differently to the main dress.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,886
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    OMG, I would love something like that, must be so warm in this weather.:) I sleep in flannel shirts, but a nightshirt would be even better.

Ermm...my very glamorous nightwear of late has consisted of sets of M & S thermal undies :o - long sleeved vesty tops and ankle length leggings originally purchased for a trip to Norway to see the Northern Lights. Never thought I would have occasion to wear them again in the UK but they have proved a boon in this blooming weather. My purchase today is deffo an improvement in the glamour dept!! :D
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Miro - I have two of those nightshirts, one is a thick one in red tartan from George and the other is thinner from Primark - both bought in the CS.

I had a bit of a haul yesterday

BNWT Next Tailoring Jacket
    - grey with silver grey lining, very interesting collar detail £3.50

Next Tailoring Jacket
    - grey with fine blue check £3

Long Tall Sally wide leg trousers, tweed with metallic gold check £3.50

Mia Moda (I think) tweed jacket with belt (indoor sort of jacket) £3.99

Next Tailoring fully lined shift dress
    in grey/black tweed £3.79

Our Age UK shop is closing for a refurb so everything was half price, that is where the two next jackets came from, I wouldn't have paid their full price, they are one of the more expensive shops.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,616
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I had a bonanza day on Thursday and got:-

a red Le Creuset style casserole dish- gone to my son`s partner. £5. Stain on enamel now gone!

three Viners saucepans- clean up beautifully. £5

A magazine rack which sells for £30 on Amazon - rubberwood- £5

Several vintage knitting patterns.

A Bodum glass teapot with slight fault on its basket but now repaired. £3.50

Two terracotta plant pots. £3

Covent garden soupbook £2.99

Very pleased.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills