The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Options

Comments

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    :hello: Hello Greying :D

You are an EXCELLENT parent, I have absolutely no doubt about it. You *care* which means you will make thoughtful decisions which means BG will turn out just fine :) xxx

Mmm, pizza :D Not had pizza for a while! Been thinking about you as one of my tasks for this afternoon is to do some meal planning :eek: Mr Cheery is still eating oddly after his operation and it feels a bit odd to be meal planning just for myself, but I have to break this endless cycle of pizza/bran flakes/porridge/foraging :o

Hope you're having an ok day. Love hearing about your plans progressing :j I confess after all the fanfare I have entirely ignored Uber Frugal July :o Might have to get on the case and do Uber Frugal August instead :rotfl:
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Love that BG is playing contentedly with bits of cardboard! :D Never to early to learn frugal skills!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I can remember looking after a good friends daughter when she was a wee tot & she happily played herself to sleep in a big cardboard box! Tucked her in with her favorite blankie & there she remained, content until the next morning!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    Since we moved I rarely find bargainous items in the SM but I do buy eggs when out walking. Meat from one of two local butchers and veg from a chum down the road (glut so foc).

Milk, butter, cheese, cream from Ald! mainly. The quantity of stuff we buy has reduced significantly.

Not sure why your post prompted me to consider but I think our shopping habits have been simplified.

However I haven't menu planned and that's a nightmare :rotfl:

Afternoon job today - slimming w@rld cookbooks and spreadsheet required :T

Hope you have a dry Sunday, Tilly xxxxx
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

It's always amused me about 'ordinary' things, being played with by children, how their imagination goes into overdrive and the 'things' become whatever they want them to be. They 'chatter' away to a thing, like it's a long lost chum, push, pull, pick-up or throw down something. Stack or knock down - use as a phone or a pram to transport other toys..... endless fun.

I'm approximately (haven't written in my notebook yesterday's milk/bread/citrus receipt yet) £6 in the red with my food budget. We will be getting very close to my - £10 'limit' I've notionally set myself, as I need to buy coffee today - we won't be able to make 1/2 a teaspoon last all day tomorrow :( We do have everything for tonight's tea (fish, chips & mushy peas) and there will be enough to make 'something' up for tea tomorrow. There will be just enough cheese for sandwiches :j I have eggs, so we won't be going hungry :D

Tea last night worked out OK. I didn't take a picture - but actually, because the courgette was yellow, it worked well with the orange of the carrot and the red of the curry sauce. I based it on my recipe for sweet potato jalfrezi that I got from the 'Meat Free Monday' cookbook. Unfortunately, there isn't a proper link for it on the web :( Which is a shame, as it's a lovely curry - and you don't have to put as many ingredients in it as the original; honestly, it'd be cheaper to go to the curry house and have a sit down meal...... I always use Jaymee O's jalfrezi spice mix. I think it's from his 'cook wif jaymee' book - there is a page of spice mixes. Very handy, if you've the spices to hand to make up your own versions. I also made a pot of vegan dal, which is quick and simple - but does come out a funny shade of beige if you use red lentils (think I used brown last time), and did some steamed rice. Filled us up, used up produce from the fridge and was inexpensive to boot. Just how I like my curries :D

I managed to get about 1hr snooze on the sofa yesterday afternoon - DH looked after BG and then I was in bed by 8.30pm :o Think this week has rather taken its toll. Still, I feel all the better for it, so here goes another day :D And looking on the brightside, you can't be spending money if you're asleep :D

We've a bit of family fun planned for today, a little bit of shopping and then it'll be doubtless back to choresville :o I'm savouring my coffee currently - trying very hard with my '1 cup a day' rule. It's worked for the most part, and even on days when I've indulged in more cups, I've reeled it back in the next day, so I'm pleased with my progress.

Right, best get ship-shape and organised. Make sure I've my money and my list and everything else that you need to set foot out of the door these days.... ;)

ta for popping in, reading and encouraging me. It is greatly appreciated. Always.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £184.08/215
    Non-food household spend April £27.83/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Since we moved I rarely find bargainous items in the SM but I do buy eggs when out walking. Meat from one of two local butchers and veg from a chum down the road (glut so foc).

Milk, butter, cheese, cream from Ald! mainly. The quantity of stuff we buy has reduced significantly.

Not sure why your post prompted me to consider but I think our shopping habits have been simplified.

However I haven't menu planned and that's a nightmare :rotfl:

Afternoon job today - slimming w@rld cookbooks and spreadsheet required :T

Hope you have a dry Sunday, Tilly xxxxx

Looks like it is going to be dry at the moment Tilly. I think we're similar - but with l1dl getting the bulk of our 'fresh' purchases of anything. Our local ald1 is dire, (l1dl fast joining it......). DH did get us lemons and limes from the ALd1 S6 yesterday, along with milk & bread, because he was there.

We are grateful for any produce that we get given, but I'm afraid those 'gifts' are pretty limited. We exchange cake for summer produce from a work colleague (they don't expect cake, but do like that we 'give back') and sometimes we get given produce from the gardening parental - however, I'm afraid that the non-gardening parental seems to think that 'pixie-portions' are the way forward, so there is rarely enough for us both/all. It is sometimes more stressful to incorporate small amounts into a meal that just have them as an accompaniment :(

I was thinking - looking through my purchases yesterday - about how...... 'exotic' our purchases may look ..... Avocadoes, pulses, nuts, rocket, olives, lemongrass etc. But also, I'm struck by how many places I have to go to, to get those items at 'best price'. I literally could not afford to shop at any of the 'big 4' with one list and one trolley anymore :( Actually, I'm not entirely sure I could do it at mrAl or MrL either :( HB/h3r0n are a little bit of a lifeline for us........ :(

Have a great Sunday Tilly :D

X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Well, the rain dun come and joined us :( It hasn't spoilt any plans really. We were half-heartedly thinking about going across Greying Town to an event, but I shall be honest, I'm not sure if it was today, or last sunday :o The weeks! They go so fast!

I was able to do some shopping in the next market town across today. I quite like it there. It has free parking on a Sunday and all the same shops as Greying Town, but on the whole, the staff are much nicer (exceptions, either way, of course). There was nowt YS'd in m&$ that I wanted, and I didn't think that which was reduced was exactly being given away.....

I did call into a c00p that we've passed umpteen times, as sometimes on mse, folk mention that they've picked up some bargains. It wasn't worth expending the petrol to turn into the carpark of this particular store. They'd knocked 30p off some things, but I gave up when I saw a pile of blackened, mushy cucumbers, reduced to...... 50p. 50p will get you a perfectly nice cucumber in m&$ - you can get one for only 44p in mrL and for those of you lucky enough to still have decent street markets, I bet you could get 2 whoppers for 5op!!! Why would a shop even have this stuff still displayed?

I picked up the bulk of my shopping (for the first week of August) in mrL. I got rocket and celery out of the potw - the rocket was all dated for the 1st August, and wasn't particularly perky... I didn't notice any absolute bargains in anything that I bought, but I'm pretty sure that the prices of everything was still the same as when I bought it last.... Oh, I tell a lie, since I bought any last time (some months??) the chocolate has gone up 3p to 30p a bar.

Oh, and when we popped into mrS for a very specific item, I did pick up a couple of their 'basics' carrots for 40p ea/kilo bag. Even DH, who is something of a 'blind' shopper (ie I tell him what to buy and he buys it, not looking at the price labels), asked if the carrots weren't cheaper than the bag he'd got me from mrL last week? Correct - 4p cheaper! :D

I need to update my spending diary now - and make a start on August entries.

I've done my menu plan for this week. Trying to be mindful of utilising stores and not buying something for every meal. MeandO mentioned about having beans on toast for lunch. That is something that I hardly ever think about having. Which is daft of me! We like beans, we like toast. And I know that in the early days of being at home with BG, beans became a valuable standby for those times.......*insert reason here*....... So I did get 4 tins of mrL beans - they are £1 for 4, and I'm sure everyone has their own preferences, but we like them well enough. They will be useful for a lunch or for a quick meal if time/circumstances overwhelm us. Somethings you just need in your storecupboard, eh?

DH and BG are having a snooze. They will be stirring just now. I'd better get on and update my notebooks whilst I can in peace and quiet! :D

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Cheery_Daff
    Options
    Ah Greying, I'm sorry you have fallen foul of what we call 'C0-op style reductions' :eek: Our local one is notorious for reducing things by such a pathetic amount, you wonder why they bother. Once, there was a box of branded breakfast cereal that looked like it had been stood on, plastic bag ripped and sellotaped, reduced from £2.39 to £2.19 :eek:

And another time I bought a chocolate bar reduced from 39p to... 39p :rotfl: :rotfl: I admit I bought that one mostly for amusement value :rotfl: Should have got them to give me at least 1p off!

But I have had an occasional bargain - I once found several boxes of those fancy razor cartridges (clearly an end of line or something) reduced from about £8 for a box of four :eek: to £2 :j Still extortionate in my opinion :D but I would have bought them at £8 so I went back in over a series of days (to let other people have a chance) and hoovered up the lot :D Still using them now :rotfl:
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Ah Greying, I'm sorry you have fallen foul of what we call 'C0-op style reductions' :eek:

Ha ha Cheery - i know just what you mean. I have to be fair, all the retailers are at it. In mrS today, an 'operative' had yellow stickered bag, after bag, after bag of 'in-pod' peas. How much had the reduction been? 30p. I kid you not. Has someone not worked out that operative time, plus a sticker probably amounts to more than 30p? Why on earth didn't they knock 'em out for 20p a bag? I'm sure over the course of the day, every bag would have been sold and they'd of not had the problem of what to do with them. Charities won't accept them - after all, even if they take fresh food - who has got enough volunteers to stand around shelling peas?

My only YS'd bargain today came from HB. I got a 250g punnet of mushrooms (closed cap, white) for 35p instead of 69p. They look OK-ish, so I'm happy with them and will use them. At least 50% off is a decent mark-down :D

Certainly it is no good me basing my path to millionaire-dom on YS shopping...... :D

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Cheery_Daff
    Options
    Nope, me neither. Although oddly our local Sp@r sometimes has a good reduction - yesterday they had bags of two peppers reduced to 40p, and when I got to the till, the cashier said she's do me two bags for 50p :D if there hadn't been a queue behind me I might have had four bags :rotfl: she also did me two iceberg lettuces for 30p :money: so it is possible!

But everything else is so expensive there it's not worth me going out of my way to check so I only pop in occasionally on the way back from somewhere for late night milk.

Nice when it happens though! :j
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:

Just been watching the women's :footie: match against France. Certainly better entertainment than watching the chaps.....

We munched our fish, chips and mushy peas whilst watching the match. The chips were m&$ again - steak cut. don't think I'm going to get into the habit of buying them - they lack flavour :( The h3r0n ones for £1.09 a bag (less weight too I think iirc), are marginally better. we finished off with bargain icecream - or should that be iced-cream? from mrL and some tinned peaches. Retro ;)

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

a car to get us from a to b

for family time out and about and for family time at home :D

a no-hassle tea
    - I appreciated the minimal prep tonight...... :D

Ta for popping in, and the conversation. Appreciated.

I'm away to my bed. All set for another new week.......

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure