The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Comments

• apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    I waved at a train driver as I went over a footbridge the other day - and got a big grin and a wave back. It really cheered me up too!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,694 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    I always wave if I see a small child waving too :hello: All very cheerful :) Glad BG is bringing joy to the world :)

We had some friends here over the weekend with their two small children. Me and their mum were plotting and scheming while dad entertained the little'uns. They all played very nicely for several hours bless em, and just when the were starting to get ready to go home, the farmer appeared on his little quad bike thing :D He'd just popped round for a natter and went again fairly swiftly once he realised we had visitors, but not before giving small boy a ride on the 'tractor' :D:D Old farmer was smiling, small boy was thrilled (he'd been playing with his toy tractors all day), all most jolly indeed :D

Small pleasures :)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,419 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Good Evening :hello:

Ha, love all your stories of waving children/waving to children. Cheery your 'tractor' tale reminds me of when i go and visit my friend who lives out in the deepest, darkest, countrysideshire. Her kitchen window overlooks a field that is home to a various array of animals - both farm and wild, and each time I have been the farmer has been to check/feed or round up the animals that he is responsible for on his quad bike. He is quite 'advanced in his years', but always rides 'side-saddle' as his hips are completely shot and it is the only way he can sit comfortably. Has me in stitches every time I see it :rotfl:

Today has gone by in a whoosh but has been good :D

I picked up some bits from mrAl whilst out and about. I bought some more of the ripen at home avocados - their price is now £1.56 - not on offer. Today's were hass avos again, but produce of Peru. I hope they are as good as the ones I bought last week, as all 4 of those were good - I had the last one on toast this morning for breakfast :D Their Quinoa is also on special offer at £1.09 - I think it is usually £1.29, I bought a bag of the 'tricolour'. I also got some easy peel mandarin/clementine oranges - which, for once, were 85p on the SEl and 85p when they went through the till :j I can't remember all that is in the S6 from tomorrow - think salad 'bits', but they are doing the 500g vac packs of beetroot for 49p. NOT their lowest price, and not a huge saving, but if the beetroot are good, then it will be worth getting some. I have been using the HB vac packs, and there is always a tough bit that you have to discard with each beet in the pack with them - adds up to quite a bit of wastage! :(

Tea this evening was lentil and red kidney bean chilli with rice. I blended up a red onion, a l/o shallot, a red and yellow pepper (from my 'wonky' bag from MrAl), and 2 bendy carrots out of the fridge. I then added passata and some garlic and fried it all off in olive oil. Added; cumin, smoked paprika, chilli, chipotle chilli flakes, a speck of ground cloves, salt and pepper, oregano and thyme and cooked down. Added in some cooked (puy-like) lentils and a drained tin of kidney beans and let it cook out. Steamed some rice to go with. Just right for the weather, which has returned to grey and cold(er) :( There is a splodge of chilli left over to bedeck a baked tattie or something for lunch one day :D

The baby has been bathed, a (long) story read, everyone's fed, the washing up done and both parents remain sane(ish) :D A good day :D

Today I am grateful for these three things;

a 'free' kit-kat - although I had to 'share' :( :rotfl:

that I learnt/was taught to read
    - and that I can pass that skill on

for an early morning toddle to the post-box in the sunshine :D - jus' mumma & baby, in sunshine, to a backing track of birdsong :T

Ta for popping in and joining in the conversation. Appreciated. Greatly.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £176.38/215
    Non-food household spend April £25.94/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Good Evening :hello:

Mmmm, have been surrounded by loveliness and kindness today :D

Should I ever. And I mean ever. Give anyone, reading here, the impression that I don't count my blessings - every one - then hey. Feel free to call me out on it - I mean that.

I know that I have moaned on here about various 'aspects' of life going a bit awry. And they have. And 'people' sometimes are........ *****... BUT, I hope, I feverently HOPE, that i 'call' the 'good stuff' many, many. many more times than I moan about the bad.

Today was jam-packed full o' good stuff :D

i have had folk contacting me by virtually every type of media today - although we clearly didn't trouble the postie :rotfl: But that means no bills, either :j

We got to pootle about and I managed to pick up something for BG that was on special offer in mrT. It is one of these 'revolving' offers, that you just have to jump on at the time, and then look out for the next offer - before you have used up the 3forthepriceof2 that you got on offer......... I have learnt the hard way that paying 'proper' price is just plain daft and money down the drain :o So now I have got a bit savvy, and I only pay the bare minimum (and for anyone that knows anything about kiddie 'stuff', you will know that that is enough........)

Tea was a sorta salad bowl. We had steamed buckwheat (bit too claggy :(:o), salad leaves (mrAl bagged), cherry tomatoes in dressing (balsamic/EVOO/S&P), sliced cucumber and grilled halloumi. I made a dressing to go with from; red pesto, EVOO, lemon juice and zest, splodge of honey, S&P. I have to say, purely by accident, the dressing was just the right balance of savoury/sweet/piquant - and went very nice with the grilled halloumi.

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

new opportunities
    - take 'em ;):D

a car to pootle about in :D

learning
    - for 'family' Greying. Thank you to our 'teachers' ;):D

Ta for popping by. I feel the need to warn rtandon that is it unlikely that we will be having pizza and wedges for us tea tomorrow :eek: I've summat a bit more 'chi-chi' in mind........ :rotfl:

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Looking forward to chi-chi;):D
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    rtandon27 wrote: »
    Looking forward to chi-chi;):D

Oh lawks - I've built meself up too much now, haven't i????? :rotfl::rotfl:

Greying XX

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Just to be clear - you NEVER come across as not being grateful. You're one of the people who makes me look at the positives in my life, because you are always seeking them out, whatever life throws at you.

Have you found a way of making buckwheat interesting? Like you, I tend to find it claggy, and less interesting than I feel it should be. I do like it uncooked...
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    greenbee wrote: »

Have you found a way of making buckwheat interesting? Like you, I tend to find it claggy, and less interesting than I feel it should be. I do like it uncooked...

Eh? do tell.......... you eat the hard little kernel things, uncooked???? Am intrigued.......

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I realise that's not normal. Only kashi rather than the raw stuff...
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    greenbee wrote: »
    I realise that's not normal. Only kashi rather than the raw stuff...

Ah, right, so it's roasted - properly if the bought item, stirred about in a hot, dry pan if I'm doing it at home...... So that makes it edible 'raw' (ish)? I suppose it's like eating nuts, or popcorn?

I did used to like the dish, I think it was in one of Sara Brown's veggie cooking books, and basically you made buckwheat into a sort of porridge, with... grated carrots and onions, and garlic, herbs..... and then pressed it into a pan and baked it. I'm pretty sure that it was the first "adventurous" veggie dish that I ever made. It was good hot or cold. Haven't got her cookery book now - you'd find it in a chazzer, not on a bookshop shelf..... so can't make it again :(

I have eaten some kashi - bought in Russia. It does taste different being roasted properly. Perhaps that is what the unroasted stuff that you get in supermercados/whole-food shops in the UK is missing?

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure