Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sirloyneofcowes
    • By sirloyneofcowes 12th Feb 19, 6:53 PM
    • 52Posts
    • 94Thanks
    sirloyneofcowes
    Smart Meters mandatory on new fixed term deals
    • 12th Feb 19, 6:53 PM
    Smart Meters mandatory on new fixed term deals 12th Feb 19 at 6:53 PM
    Has anyone else noticed that suppliers are making Smart Meters mandatory for some of the better energy fixing deals? I've just checked Ts and Cs on a few and frequently see something along the lines of:

By switching to this tariff you are agreeing to be contacted by xyz company and where eligible have a smart meter installed for each fuel supply.

PS: With the utmost respect to anyone commenting please don't spam me with Bulb or Octopus referral deals.
    Known Debt at time of the Great Escape - £5,467.85
    Current Debt (not including standard bills) - £0
    DFB Christmas club number: #158
    Is 100% Great Escape Known Debt Free
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 12th Feb 19, 7:05 PM
    • 20,252 Posts
    • 14,535 Thanks
    molerat
    • 12th Feb 19, 7:05 PM
    • 12th Feb 19, 7:05 PM
    Suppliers are being pressurised by OFGEM with the threat of fines to install more smart meters. As no sensible person will have one installed they need to force them onto customers as a condition of the cheaper deals.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 12th Feb 19, 7:55 PM
    • 97,057 Posts
    • 65,046 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 12th Feb 19, 7:55 PM
    • 12th Feb 19, 7:55 PM
    Has anyone else noticed that suppliers are making Smart Meters mandatory for some of the better energy fixing deals?
    Only mandatory if they can actually install them. If they cant then you still get the deal. Very many people cannot have smart meters due to lack of a phone signal.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • sirloyneofcowes
    • By sirloyneofcowes 12th Feb 19, 8:06 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    sirloyneofcowes
    • 12th Feb 19, 8:06 PM
    • 12th Feb 19, 8:06 PM
    thanks both, it helps to underline my thinking.

i must admit i was tempted to get a smart meter (for about 3 nanoseconds) but I still cannot see the benefit for me to take one (aside from having the better deals) - if anyone can give me one other good reason how it benefits me then I'll consider it (aside from the better energy deals)
    Known Debt at time of the Great Escape - £5,467.85
    Current Debt (not including standard bills) - £0
    DFB Christmas club number: #158
    Is 100% Great Escape Known Debt Free
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 12th Feb 19, 8:08 PM
    • 1,787 Posts
    • 1,191 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 12th Feb 19, 8:08 PM
    • 12th Feb 19, 8:08 PM
    Only mandatory if they can actually install them. If they cant then you still get the deal. Very many people cannot have smart meters due to lack of a phone signal.
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    Not necessarily, there was a First Utility tariff that said along the lines of "you agree to have smart meters installed, if this is not possible we will move you to another tariff and charge exit fees".
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 13th Feb 19, 5:27 AM
    • 3,618 Posts
    • 1,079 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 13th Feb 19, 5:27 AM
    • 13th Feb 19, 5:27 AM
    Are EDF forcing smart meters?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 13th Feb 19, 8:36 AM
    • 97,057 Posts
    • 65,046 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 13th Feb 19, 8:36 AM
    • 13th Feb 19, 8:36 AM
    Not necessarily, there was a First Utility tariff that said along the lines of "you agree to have smart meters installed, if this is not possible we will move you to another tariff and charge exit fees".
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    I suspect that cannot be enforced. The end consumer is not going to know whether they are able to have a smart meter installed. So, to expect them to pay exit charges due to a limitation by the supplier would almost certainly be considered an unfair contract term.

However, I will revise the point and say in many cases, you still get to keep the tariff if they can't install the smart meter.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 13th Feb 19, 9:04 AM
    • 5,403 Posts
    • 2,393 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 13th Feb 19, 9:04 AM
    • 13th Feb 19, 9:04 AM
    Originally posted by dunstonh

There are a lot of reports of fitters turning up and fitting SMETS1 meters regardless of whether they get a mobile signal or not - all down to quotas and "pay per installation" deals with contractors.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 13th Feb 19, 9:16 AM
    • 2,049 Posts
    • 1,760 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 13th Feb 19, 9:16 AM
    • 13th Feb 19, 9:16 AM
    but I still cannot see the benefit for me to take one (aside from having the better deals) - if anyone can give me one other good reason how it benefits me then I'll consider it (aside from the better energy deals)
    Originally posted by sirloyneofcowes

Accurate billing? Although I feel for many that would be seen as a downside!

Which bring the more important question, what are the downside to having one. There are none. Your current meter is going to be changed at some point anyway. You will end up with a hobbled smart meter then. Why not have a working one!

(For a real benefit though I will say access to HH data to show you when you are using things is great and can be interesting).
    • Biggus Dickus
    • By Biggus Dickus 13th Feb 19, 9:17 AM
    • 118 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    Biggus Dickus
    thanks both, it helps to underline my thinking.

i must admit i was tempted to get a smart meter (for about 3 nanoseconds) but I still cannot see the benefit for me to take one (aside from having the better deals) - if anyone can give me one other good reason how it benefits me then I'll consider it (aside from the better energy deals)
    Both my smart- meters have lovely red and green LED lights on them;...sometimes they flash on and off,...brilliant!

That alone should be reason enough for anyone to have smart-meters fitted, IMHO.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 13th Feb 19, 9:21 AM
    • 18,329 Posts
    • 46,651 Thanks
    elsien
    Suppliers are being pressurised by OFGEM with the threat of fines to install more smart meters. As no sensible person will have one installed they need to force them onto customers as a condition of the cheaper deals.
    Originally posted by molerat
    I'm a sensible person and I'm considering having one installed if they can guarantee smets2.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • A Nice Englishman
    • By A Nice Englishman 13th Feb 19, 9:40 AM
    • 2,175 Posts
    • 1,281 Thanks
    A Nice Englishman
    I'm a sensible person and I'm considering having one installed if they can guarantee smets2.
    Originally posted by elsien
    The small print in my EDF contract says I have to allow them to install a smart meter. They rang me recently to agree a date but it became clear it would have been SMETS1 with a future software upgrade to SMETS2. I declined and said I'd like to wait until SMETS2 was available and known to be working reliably.
    Last edited by A Nice Englishman; 13-02-2019 at 12:46 PM.
    • SuiDreams
    • By SuiDreams 13th Feb 19, 9:42 AM
    • 2,330 Posts
    • 10,391 Thanks
    SuiDreams
    Accurate billing? Although I feel for many that would be seen as a downside!

Which bring the more important question, what are the downside to having one. There are none. Your current meter is going to be changed at some point anyway. You will end up with a hobbled smart meter then. Why not have a working one!

(For a real benefit though I will say access to HH data to show you when you are using things is great and can be interesting).
    Originally posted by Carrot007

You've mentioned Accurate billing as an advantage of Smart Meters, I already have accurate billing without a smart meter, so don't see the benefit and having to lose a days holiday from work to sit in the house for it to be installed is definitely a downside, especially if they are going to install and SMETS1 meter and I have to sit in again for that to be changed / upgraded to SMETS2.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 13th Feb 19, 10:05 AM
    • 2,049 Posts
    • 1,760 Thanks
    Carrot007
    You've mentioned Accurate billing as an advantage of Smart Meters, I already have accurate billing without a smart meter, so don't see the benefit and having to lose a days holiday from work to sit in the house for it to be installed is definitely a downside, especially if they are going to install and SMETS1 meter and I have to sit in again for that to be changed / upgraded to SMETS2.
    Originally posted by SuiDreams

Accurate billing with you not doing anything then!

The truth is there is no big reason. Just small ones.

You will eventually have to take a day off to have a meter change anyway though (do you know when yours is due?) so it's not much of a negative really. Do you really never have a day in the house though? You could also have a a Sat Morning appointment in a lot of areas (Though convinsing them to give you one is a different matter!). (I WFH mostly so it is not an issue to me!)

In theory a lot of the meters now fitted should be remotely upgardable but I'm sure they will find a way to mess that up! So you have a small reason against there.
    • st999
    • By st999 13th Feb 19, 10:16 AM
    • 1,218 Posts
    • 675 Thanks
    st999
    if anyone can give me one other good reason how it benefits me then I'll consider it
    Saves going outside in the pouring rain and cold weather to read the meter.

Meter readings are always accurate.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 13th Feb 19, 10:26 AM
    • 5,403 Posts
    • 2,393 Thanks
    brewerdave

In theory a lot of the meters now fitted should be remotely upgardable but I'm sure they will find a way to mess that up! So you have a small reason against there.
    Originally posted by Carrot007

In theory is right! On another thread recently, a poster claimed that it was already happening - I asked where he got his evidence from - he promptly vanished from the thread
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 13th Feb 19, 10:28 AM
    • 5,403 Posts
    • 2,393 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Saves going outside in the pouring rain and cold weather to read the meter.

Meter readings are always accurate.
    Originally posted by st999

But unfortunately this isn't always true - many people find that their suppliers are still using estimates AFTER installation of smarts
    • simmotech
    • By simmotech 14th Feb 19, 11:47 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    simmotech
    I changed to an EDF Easy Online Exclusive Sep 19 v2 tariff last September via MoneySavingExpert's Cheap Energy Club.

Today I received an email from EDF saying I needed a Smart Meter to stay on that tariff otherwise they would move me onto a more expensive tariff after 30 days notice.

There is nothing in their original sign up email about this but, sure enough, reading the T&Cs it is written there that is mandatory to have one installed if they installing in my area.

So I'm a bit peeved with the Cheap Energy Club for not pointing out things like this. They normally are very good with listing both good and bad points for suppliers/tariff details.
    Caveat emptor I guess.

So am I correct in thinking I should try to hold out for a 'SMETS 2' meter rather then let them install older versions?
    • chrisw99
    • By chrisw99 14th Feb 19, 1:29 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    chrisw99
    When I switched to a fixed BG deal in August, I had to have a smart meter fitted within 3 months or it would revert to the standard tariff.

Ummed and ahhed for a bit, but I'm glad I did in the end, really like having a smart meter now.
    • Gaikokujin
    • By Gaikokujin 14th Feb 19, 3:23 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Gaikokujin
    Has anyone else noticed that suppliers are making Smart Meters mandatory for some of the better energy fixing deals? I've just checked Ts and Cs on a few and frequently see something along the lines of:

By switching to this tariff you are agreeing to be contacted by xyz company and where eligible have a smart meter installed for each fuel supply.
    Had this exact experience today with Eon.

Currently a customer of theirs on a 1 year fixed rate deal which is coming to an end next month. Using the check on their website I was able to find an equivalent tariff to sign up for costing pretty much the same as what we pay now (all other options offered were around £15-20 a month more). However when looking under the ‘features’ section for this tariff it states that by signing up to it you agree to have smart meters installed.

Looking at it further this same caveat appears on ALL the tariffs they were offering: the only exception was the standard rate (i.e. most expensive).

Contacted them using both their online webchat and on the phone to check if what I was reading was correct and got the same answer both times: from now on in if you want to be a customer of Eon and not pay their standard rate then installation of a smart meter is mandatory…absolute joke.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,257Posts Today

7,689Users online

Martin's Twitter