OurPower went bust - is debit balance written off?

Options
Hi guys,
We've been with OurPower for a little over a year, and it took them over 6 months to set up our direct debit. When we finally realised that they hadn't been collecting our monthly energy payment, we had already clocked up around £800 of debt.
We managed to set up a repayment scheme to get it paid off, and are down to approx £200 debt.
Now they have gone bust (hopefully that wasn't my fault) and OFCOM have asked another company to take over their supply contracts.
This company has higher tarriffs, and I want to move away from them at my earliest opportunity. I'm not actually convinced that I owe this new company anything, do I?

thanks

Comments

• missmaybesaver
    Options
    Lots of useful info here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/01/utilita-to-take-on-our-power-s-38-000-customers/

In terms of the debit balance it says you should wait to hear from the administrators.

You’ll need to pay Utilita for the period they supply you, i.e from the date you moved to them under the supplier of last resort process, to whatever date you switch away to another supplier.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    OurPower went bust - is debit balance written off?

When a firm 'goes bust' i.e. goes into administration, administrators are appointed and one of their tasks is to collect any money owing to the failed firm. So your debt is not written off and, as indicated above, you will be contacted by the administrators to repay that debt.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure