Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 5th Jul 13, 4:56 PM
    • 1,232Posts
    • 3,566Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    Official Free Boilers and Insulation guide discussion
    • 5th Jul 13, 4:56 PM
    Official Free Boilers and Insulation guide discussion 5th Jul 13 at 4:56 PM
    Hi all,

We've written a new guide on Free Boilers and Insulation, and it would be great to hear your feedback. Please do share your experiences and any extra tips to help others.

If you applied for a free boiler, please let us know ...

- Which energy provider you called:
    - How long it took to get a free inspection:
    - Were you asked to contribute towards anything and why (for example extra radiators, the boiler needed moving, you didn't meet certain conditions):
    - How long it took to the get the boiler installed:
    - How you found the experience:

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Jenny
    Last edited by MSE Jenny; 05-07-2013 at 4:59 PM.
Page 3
    • moggy12
    • By moggy12 24th Jul 13, 6:57 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    moggy12
    free boiler
    My experience so far I found a advert in my local midlands newspaper for free boiler if on certain benefits from a company called Northern gas heating so I phoned up had my details had a home check on 20th July about 2 weeks later had a home efficiency check got a call yesterday 23/07/13 saying boiler is being fitted tomorrow on there website they say they use valliant boilers which I have reviewed online and they say they are one of the best reliable boilers so from start to finish just over a month so far very impressed will update after installation later today
    • haz25a
    • By haz25a 24th Jul 13, 2:26 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    haz25a
    My experience so far I found a advert in my local midlands newspaper for free boiler if on certain benefits from a company called Northern gas heating so I phoned up had my details had a home check on 20th July about 2 weeks later had a home efficiency check got a call yesterday 23/07/13 saying boiler is being fitted tomorrow on there website they say they use valliant boilers which I have reviewed online and they say they are one of the best reliable boilers so from start to finish just over a month so far very impressed will update after installation later today
    Originally posted by moggy12
    Thanks for the update. How old is your current central heating system? Did they mention anything about radiators?
    • moggy12
    • By moggy12 24th Jul 13, 2:43 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    moggy12
    just finished did a excellent job my old system was 8.5 yrs old and was a combination boiler but not a condensing one like the new one no mention about radiators
    • kronas
    • By kronas 24th Jul 13, 11:24 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    kronas
    to those who have had one fitted what make or model is it ?

can you choose ?
    • moggy12
    • By moggy12 25th Jul 13, 8:12 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    moggy12
    no I couldn't choose make I had fitted was a vallient ecotec pro 28
    • Scottishmummy
    • By Scottishmummy 25th Jul 13, 12:26 PM
    • 1,052 Posts
    • 1,870 Thanks
    Scottishmummy
    Did they mention anything about radiators?
    Originally posted by haz25a
    I have just remembered something the surveyor said. There are apparently two schemes running at the same time. One covers insulation and boilers etc, the other is boilers only. Which one you get depends on your qualifying factors. The one including insulation is paid for by the government not the energy providers although it is the energy suppliers organising the surveys etc. He said to qualify we had to get less then 54 out of 100 points in the energy survey. We got 52.

I had a phonecall this morning to arrange the technical survey now, so I asked which kind of boilers they used. She said Potterton. I mentioned others getting Valient and she said that is a newer, different scheme so I wonder if that is the boilers only one. Don't really know anything about potterton ones.

Anyway our top up insulation has been fitted. Took the guys an hour. Not a huge job as we have what the surveyor called two roof rooms so can't insulate above them. At least the kitchen and bathroom should be toastier
  • Ecodave
    Replacement boilers are installed under the HHCRO (sometimes known as 'affordable warmth') strand of the Energy Company Obligation, where the occupant is in receipt of one of several qualifying benefits, and where the boiler meets the requirements of being 'replaceable'.

Insulation is offered under both HHCRO and CSCO (Carbon Saving Community Obligation) strands, as well as under CERO (Carbon Emissions Reduction Obligation) as a secondary measure.

The Energy Company Obligation imposes on the big six energy companies the responsibility to deliver targeted carbon and heating cost reductions up to March 2015. They are the ones responsible for paying for the measures initially, however, they are allowed to recoup the cost of these measures by increasing everybody's fuel bills. The government isn't paying for any of it.

The bit about needing to score under 54 sounds like gobbledegook to me.
    • GDA/DEA
    • By GDA/DEA 25th Jul 13, 4:27 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    GDA/DEA
    to those who have had one fitted what make or model is it ?

can you choose ?
    Originally posted by kronas
    This will vary depending on the company you get to do the job, but all should come with a minimum 2 year parts and labour warranty, depending on the installers relationship with the supplier you may get more ( for instance we fit Baxi boilers and offer a 5 year parts and labour warranty). There is also a Vaillant scheme running where certain companies have to fit Vaillant boilers (no bad thing!). That could possibly be where the maximum EPC score bit comes in, but I have not heard of this.

Hope this helps.
    • Scottishmummy
    • By Scottishmummy 25th Jul 13, 11:44 PM
    • 1,052 Posts
    • 1,870 Thanks
    Scottishmummy
    Replacement boilers are installed under the HHCRO (sometimes known as 'affordable warmth') strand of the Energy Company Obligation, where the occupant is in receipt of one of several qualifying benefits, and where the boiler meets the requirements of being 'replaceable'.

Insulation is offered under both HHCRO and CSCO (Carbon Saving Community Obligation) strands, as well as under CERO (Carbon Emissions Reduction Obligation) as a secondary measure.

The Energy Company Obligation imposes on the big six energy companies the responsibility to deliver targeted carbon and heating cost reductions up to March 2015. They are the ones responsible for paying for the measures initially, however, they are allowed to recoup the cost of these measures by increasing everybody's fuel bills. The government isn't paying for any of it.

The bit about needing to score under 54 sounds like gobbledegook to me.
    Originally posted by Ecodave

What I have qualified is for the Scottish Government Energy Assistance Scheme which IS funded by the government NOT the energy companies and that is where the 54 or less out of 100 comes from. Had I not qualified for that I would still have qualified for the new boiler only, under the Affordable Warmth scheme.
    • Scottishmummy
    • By Scottishmummy 25th Jul 13, 11:47 PM
    • 1,052 Posts
    • 1,870 Thanks
    Scottishmummy
    http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/scotland/Take-action/Home-Energy-Scotland/Home-Energy-Efficiency-Programmes-for-Scotland/What-is-offered-and-who-is-eligible
    • haz25a
    • By haz25a 30th Jul 13, 2:22 AM
    • 168 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    haz25a
    Anyone know who makes British Gas "own brand" boilers?
    • haz25a
    • By haz25a 30th Jul 13, 11:52 AM
    • 168 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    haz25a
    Just had my survey done by Scottish/British Gas. Annoying little guy who, by his own admission, didn't really know what he was doing. I had to keep HIM right. Seemed to think he was doing me a huge favour, pointing out I was getting a £4000 boiler for free. I just laughed and pointed out that it wasn't costing them a penny as the Government were paying for it (he admitted they were making a fortune!) and that it would only cost £4000 if it was a BG quote, a local central heating company would do it for less than half that!

Anyway, long story short. I qualify for a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 HE PLUS CONDENSNG COMBI BOILER. This will replace my existing 12 year old Worcester Bosch non condensing combi boiler.

It will be installed in 3-4 weeks apparently. I will update.
    • Scottishmummy
    • By Scottishmummy 31st Jul 13, 10:55 AM
    • 1,052 Posts
    • 1,870 Thanks
    Scottishmummy

Anyway, long story short. I qualify for a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 HE PLUS CONDENSNG COMBI BOILER. This will replace my existing 12 year old Worcester Bosch non condensing combi boiler.

It will be installed in 3-4 weeks apparently. I will update.
    Originally posted by haz25a
    Sounds like the same boiler we are getting. The guy was here this morning for about an hour and a half measuring everything up. Three of our radiators are not big enough for the rooms they are in and another one has started to corrode so they are going to replace all of the ones they class as in livable rooms. We will need to pay £280 to replace the other one we have so that they are all replaced. It means all the pipework needing replaced too though so they will be lifting floorboards. Thankfully we don't have carpets or laminate down but it will still be an upheaval and we all need to leave the house for the day.

He gave a 4-6 week timescale.

This guy was much, much more efficient than the guy who came out last week to check the paperwork and everything. He said the job never turns out to be the same as is originally noted - the first guy hadn't noted radiators in the halls which are included in scheme.
    • haz25a
    • By haz25a 1st Aug 13, 6:06 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    haz25a
    UPDATE

Scottish Gas phoned yesterday (the day after the surveyor had been out) and offered to install my new boiler tomorrow. I'm busy so I'm getting it installed next Tuesday. I have to say it's all been very quick.

@ScottishMummy. I only qualify for the Affordable Warmth Scheme hence only getting the boiler. My parents had a whole new central heating system installed a few months back under the other scheme. They got the same Potterton boiler from Scottish Gas that I'm getting.

I'll update again after the installation.
  • MISS.J
    Additional Cost Requested
    I've applied - been accepted and had my technical survey done.
    Had a phone call this morning from the company OneGreenDeal asking me to contribute £244.00 towards the cost of fitting the boiler as my savings would apparently not be enough to cover the replacement ( or something !!).

Does this sound right to anyone who's been through the process ??

Thanks in advance
  • Ecodave
    I have heard of requests for payments in lieu of extra works, such as pipework, but not a flat request for monies in order to sweeten the deal for the installer. I would consider asking a different installer to quote. This would mean starting from scratch, and more assessments, but the end result may be not having to pay anything extra.
    • haz25a
    • By haz25a 5th Aug 13, 2:05 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    haz25a
    Had a phone call this morning from the company OneGreenDeal asking me to contribute £244.00 towards the cost of fitting the boiler as my savings would apparently not be enough to cover the replacement ( or something !!).

Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by MISS.J
    This doesn't sound right to me either. Unless you are asking for the boiler to be installed in another place? I agree with Ecodave, get another quote.

Also, I would phone the Energy Savings Trust and tell them. I was told by them that I should not be asked to contribute anything.
    • haz25a
    • By haz25a 5th Aug 13, 2:41 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    haz25a

Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by MISS.J
    Are you getting your boiler through the "Affordable Warmth Scheme"??
    • shoshana1
    • By shoshana1 6th Aug 13, 12:27 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    shoshana1
    lost in system
    has anyone else ever got 'lost in system'?
    We called energy saving trust and gave all details of benefits and explained boiler was old and did not work. They explained that the information would be passed to DWP for verification and then forwarded to our chosen energy supplier

Waited one month and heard nothing. Called them and they said benefits had been verified and we should have heard within 3 weeks and to call our chosen energy provider (British Gas).

British Gas had nothing in their records and said that they should have heard by now as it was 4 weeks and to go back to Energy Saving Trust for more information.
    Called back Energy Saving Trust. They said there is NOTHING they can do.
    • They cannot tell me date that British Gas were informed
    • They cannot tell me how the information is sent to British Gas
    • They cannot chase it up
    They said the only thing to do is to wait another week and put in a new claim. Start all over again. I really cannot understand that there is no information available to them.

Has anyone else experienced this?
    • haz25a
    • By haz25a 6th Aug 13, 3:21 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    haz25a
    UPDATE

Central heating engineer turned up at 8.00am sharp this morning to fit my new boiler and left about half and hour ago. Electrician just turned up to install timer/thermostat. Old boiler in garden which should be uplifted tomorrow. All three different companies which are sub-contracted by British Gas.

Central heating engineer very professional, bit worried about the electrician though, time will tell.

Hopefully, I will start to see some reductions in my heating bills this winter.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,093Posts Today

7,992Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Good morning everyone. It's mini MSE's half term so expect me to be a bit quieter this week. I've taken the we? https://t.co/Bd1yBusfRa

• Today?s Twitter Poll: Should banks set up a fund to compensate people for 'push payments? scams ie where the victim? https://t.co/77QFNTLXIT

• It's that time of the week, where I come on twitter and say I'm signing off social media for the weekend to focus o? https://t.co/OFz1D1OsdF

• Follow Martin