Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 28th Jan 13, 4:26 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Scottish Power
    • 28th Jan 13, 4:26 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Scottish Power 28th Jan 13 at 4:26 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Scottish Power

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 23-10-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Page 33
    • SkiingSweetpea40
    • By SkiingSweetpea40 11th Dec 18, 12:46 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SkiingSweetpea40
    Frustrating -So much for customer service!
    Hi

I am moving to a new house which is supplied by Scottish Power on a prepayment meter. I have rung them to ask to change this is to a normal meter. However I have been informed that there policy that I have to be on the current meter for minimum of 14days! I questioned the rates which I was told were quite competitive (only if you are on a prepayment meter!) they are going to charge me 32.04p per day standing charge for a meter I don't want - with my current supplier I only pay 18p per day! The kwh rate is 17.334p for which I currently pay 12.12p! Another example of daylight robbery.

Once I have been with them 14days I can then request to move to a standard meter, which can take approx. 6 weeks to change!!

So I have to be with them 8 weeks paying extortionate rates! And this is there policy which they wont deviate from.
    Their response was I could change to another supplier -But switching takes 28days. So they have me over a barrel.
    Is there no other options??
    I can't believe that this is legal
    Don't I have any rights?
    Any Advice would be good.

So much for customer Service!!!
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 11th Dec 18, 2:00 PM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    wavelets
    Hi

I am moving to a new house which is supplied by Scottish Power on a prepayment meter. I have rung them to ask to change this is to a normal meter. However I have been informed that there policy that I have to be on the current meter for minimum of 14days! I questioned the rates which I was told were quite competitive (only if you are on a prepayment meter!) they are going to charge me 32.04p per day standing charge for a meter I don't want - with my current supplier I only pay 18p per day! The kwh rate is 17.334p for which I currently pay 12.12p! Another example of daylight robbery.

Once I have been with them 14days I can then request to move to a standard meter, which can take approx. 6 weeks to change!!

So I have to be with them 8 weeks paying extortionate rates! And this is there policy which they wont deviate from.
    Their response was I could change to another supplier -But switching takes 28days. So they have me over a barrel.
    Is there no other options??
    I can't believe that this is legal
    Don't I have any rights?
    Any Advice would be good.

So much for customer Service!!!
    Originally posted by SkiingSweetpea40
    You can switch supplier in as little as 17 days.
    But whichever supplier you have, they will take time to change your meter to a credit one - if they agree at all.

The tariffs available on PPMs are not the same as those that are offered to credit metered customers, but it is the case that due to the price cap that is already in place for PPM metered customers, these tariffs are usually cheaper than a suppliers standard variable traiff for credit metered customers. (that may change with the impending price cap that will be introduced in January to credit metered customers on such tariffs)

Any frustartion you exhibit in your post towards Scottish Power is not unique to Scottish Power, but reflects how the industry acts as a whole.
    Last edited by wavelets; 11-12-2018 at 2:06 PM.
    • Stebbo47
    • By Stebbo47 12th Dec 18, 6:31 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Stebbo47
    Well Hengus, you were obviously very lucky with Octopus. They can't help until the mpan number is registered at the correct address. A further discussion with SP following a complaint through 'Resolver' simply suggested I contact the National Data Base directly. I didn't even realize that was possible ! I really can't believe it can be that easy. If it is, why oh why didn't they suggest that after the first or second failed attempt on their part to sort it with the NDA way back last February ?
    Watch this space !
  • archived user
    Well Hengus, you were obviously very lucky with Octopus. They can't help until the mpan number is registered at the correct address. A further discussion with SP following a complaint through 'Resolver' simply suggested I contact the National Data Base directly. I didn't even realize that was possible ! I really can't believe it can be that easy. If it is, why oh why didn't they suggest that after the first or second failed attempt on their part to sort it with the NDA way back last February ?
    Watch this space !
    Originally posted by Stebbo47
    Sorry that it didnít work out: I am still having issues with my electricity account. The meter serial number appears to be linked to two suppliers with different Supply Numbers. SP to date have been hopeless. I currently have an ongoing complaint with The EO as SP has been unable to raise a Final Bill because of a switch of suppliers. Today, I received a bill from them for three months consumption. CS has acknowledged that I am not their customer; they have tried to blame Octopus for not providing transfer readings, and they sent the bill to my ESTATE. After nearly an hour on the phone, they have now accepted that I am correct in saying that their account system has been set up incorrectly for my property. The MPAN and Supply Number relate to No 6 and not our plot number 6. They will change the address. I fear that this will result in my meter being allocated to neighbour. I am frustrated because I told them that there was this possibility in September and a month ago a lady from SP came out and logged addresses and meter serial numbers.

I am now sitting on a £253 bill that they say they will block. They have faffed about long enough. Should I get a redlined reminder, I have told them that I will send them a cheque under duress by recorded delivery to protect my credit rating which will be accompanied by a Letter Before Claim.

Out of interest, having spoken to three CS reps today and started my call with Ď I wish to make a complaintí, the third CS assistant confirmed that neither of her colleagues had recorded a complaint. I sense pressure from the top to get complaint numbers down.
    • Stebbo47
    • By Stebbo47 23rd Dec 18, 11:11 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Stebbo47
    And I thought I had a problem ! It seems that the National Data Base can't be contacted directly, which comes as no surprise and Resolver have asked if I'd like them to pursue it. Yes please, for all the good that's likely to do ! In the meantime I'll be contacting "Watchdog" in the vain hope that we're not alone with 'our' complaints against SP. Good luck.
  • archived user
    And I thought I had a problem ! It seems that the National Data Base can't be contacted directly, which comes as no surprise and Resolver have asked if I'd like them to pursue it. Yes please, for all the good that's likely to do ! In the meantime I'll be contacting "Watchdog" in the vain hope that we're not alone with 'our' complaints against SP. Good luck.
    Originally posted by Stebbo47
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/connections-and-moving-home/who-my-gas-or-electricity-supplier

'Say No to 0870' will give you a number to avoid 0870 call charges. Armed with my MPAN and MPRN, I was able to check the actual data held on the two databases. I switched using the - albeit, slightly - incorrect data (for example: the wrong postcode). The database owners will not allow consumers to update their databases: it would be a recipe for even more confusion.

As far as my situation is concerned, I heard on Friday from Octopus that Scottish Power has finally agreed that it is no longer my supplier. I just need to get that in writing from Scottish Power.
    • hybernia
    • By hybernia 23rd Dec 18, 12:10 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    hybernia
    Out of interest, having spoken to three CS reps today and started my call with Ď I wish to make a complaintí, the third CS assistant confirmed that neither of her colleagues had recorded a complaint. I sense pressure from the top to get complaint numbers down.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    Family members immediately complained to SP about its behaviour in sending out a threatening Final Bill. The complaint was expressed in the first in the email chain that subsequently developed. No notice was taken of that complaint, so a follow-up email of complaint about the first email complaint was sent. No notice was taken of that, either. SP simply didn't want to acknowledge that anyone was complaining about it.

Finally: the complaint was sent by Next Day special delivery to the company's office in (I think) Edinburgh. Only then, with an uncontestable record of delivery and signed acceptance did Scottish Power finally acknowledge receipt of complaint.

I'm not inclined to think of this being "pressure from the top". Rather, it's a specific working practice, put in place by a company which knows exactly what it's doing when facing accusations that it hasn't a clue what it's doing. .
    • TheRennovator
    • By TheRennovator 17th Jan 19, 5:03 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TheRennovator
    Negative switching behaviour
    Just had an unsolicited negative call from ScottishPower, trying to put me off switching supplier.

We've been on an ScottishPower fixed rate tariff which is due to end 31 January 2019. ScottishPower offered its next best tariff but it was nearly 18% more than our current tariff. I compared like for like energy usage through the energy club and initiated a Switch to a non-fixed rate tariff with Bulb.

Scottish Power just called and to my mind the call was very inappropriate. I understand they want to retain customers and am happy to discuss their best offer but they should not be spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt about switching..

The words in quotes below are the script from the ScottishPower operator and the bit after the dash are my replies:
    - "Switching is difficult and a pain Mrs xxx" - No it isn't I've done it many times before and its easy
    - "You are switching to a variable tariff which could change at any time" - I know and I can leave the new tariff with no exit fee at anytime I see a better deal
    - "Switching takes 6 weeks, so when your new supplier changes tariff you'll pay the higher rate for 6 weeks while you move again" - that's not correct. By law the supplier has to give one months notice of a tariff change, if I initiate on the same day as receiving the one month notice, the higher charge is a maximum of 2 weeks, and chances are I won't pay the higher charge as most companies are processing switches much faster than 6 weeks
    - "I can offer you a great fixed price tariff which you can't get through our website... it's only £7 more per month than you are paying now" - Well, my Bulb deal will be the same as I pay now, albeit not at a fixed rate. With no exit fee I'm happy to pay the same as now and switch again if I need to.
    - ... and the conversation continued in a similar vein

Notably the ScottishPower operator did not attempt to price match the Bulb offer and we disagreed about what Bulb will charge me

ScottishPower should not be using misleading strong arm tactics to get customers to stay.
    Offer an equivalent or better deal and be accurate..

Has anyone else experienced this kind of behaviour?
    • Flt. Lt. Biggles
    • By Flt. Lt. Biggles 17th Jan 19, 5:09 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    Flt. Lt. Biggles
    Just had an unsolicited negative call from ScottishPower, trying to put me off switching supplier.

We've been on an ScottishPower fixed rate tariff which is due to end 31 January 2019. ScottishPower offered its next best tariff but it was nearly 18% more than our current tariff. I compared like for like energy usage through the energy club and initiated a Switch to a non-fixed rate tariff with Bulb.

Scottish Power just called and to my mind the call was very inappropriate. I understand they want to retain customers and am happy to discuss their best offer but they should not be spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt about switching..

The words in quotes below are the script from the ScottishPower operator and the bit after the dash are my replies:
    - "Switching is difficult and a pain Mrs xxx" - No it isn't I've done it many times before and its easy
    - "You are switching to a variable tariff which could change at any time" - I know and I can leave the new tariff with no exit fee at anytime I see a better deal
    - "Switching takes 6 weeks, so when your new supplier changes tariff you'll pay the higher rate for 6 weeks while you move again" - that's not correct. By law the supplier has to give one months notice of a tariff change, if I initiate on the same day as receiving the one month notice, the higher charge is a maximum of 2 weeks, and chances are I won't pay the higher charge as most companies are processing switches much faster than 6 weeks
    - "I can offer you a great fixed price tariff which you can't get through our website... it's only £7 more per month than you are paying now" - Well, my Bulb deal will be the same as I pay now, albeit not at a fixed rate. With no exit fee I'm happy to pay the same as now and switch again if I need to.
    - ... and the conversation continued in a similar vein

Notably the ScottishPower operator did not attempt to price match the Bulb offer and we disagreed about what Bulb will charge me

ScottishPower should not be using misleading strong arm tactics to get customers to stay.
    Offer an equivalent or better deal and be accurate..

Has anyone else experienced this kind of behaviour?
    Originally posted by TheRennovator
    Has anyone else experienced this kind of behaviour? Yes - very familiar behaviour on this site

So here's a familar answer too.
    Consult a comparison site and discover for yourself just how much money you could save yourself by switching away from your current supplier

... or join the MSE CEC and they will keep you up do date with alerts as and when you can save.
    • Nicholas
    • By Nicholas 12th Feb 19, 5:52 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Nicholas
    The Cheap Energy Club website shows a cheap(ish) deal to Scottish Power on their supersaver tariff. Sadly, it does not mention that one of the terms is that you are agreeing to have a smart meter fitted. I only found this out when I double checked the same tariff on uSwitch.
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 12th Feb 19, 6:17 PM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    wavelets
    The Cheap Energy Club website shows a cheap(ish) deal to Scottish Power on their supersaver tariff. Sadly, it does not mention that one of the terms is that you are agreeing to have a smart meter fitted. I only found this out when I double checked the same tariff on uSwitch.
    Originally posted by Nicholas
    What makes you believe uSwitch is any more correct?

The terms on the SP website say
    3.By signing up to this Tariff you areregistering your interest for a smart meter. This means ScottishPower, or an installer working on ScottishPower’s behalf, may contact you in the future to discuss a smart meter installation as and when you become eligible

Nothing about that you are agreeing to have a smart meter fitted
    • joe134
    • By joe134 13th Feb 19, 4:40 AM
    • 3,258 Posts
    • 429 Thanks
    joe134
    I phoned SP, and they said you are not forced to have one.
    I pointed the t&c in the deal, she, and he, said they will keep pestering me, just ignore it.
    Also said all calls are recorded, so I could re quote them on it.
    So I signed up for that deal.
    • PhilBB
    • By PhilBB 13th Feb 19, 10:06 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    PhilBB
    Being a customer and leaving experience
    My experience being a Scottish Power customer

I had been with Scottish Power since 2011. To start with they were fine. For me the service became bad at the point when in the press they were saying what they were doing to improve things.

Iíve stayed with them this long because at end of contract they were still cheap apart from unknown small start ups. Iíve monitored the market wanting to move away.

I found over the years to never deal with anyone at SP (phone or messages). I have my own spreadsheet calculating charges and direct debit and can see my energy usage variation over the years. Using this information and their DD manager if they set a DD that is too high/low I adjust to what I think; as long as what you set is reasonable.

I found the DDs SP set were more reasonable when I started submitting readings every month as they have better data work with. This still has some issues of setting the DD a bit high because I submit readings on the 1st of the month which is when my DD is taken but isnít credited until after the bill so immediately after the bill I get a credit of a monthís DD.

Iíve never had a wrong bill from SP, they are always within a few pence or tens of pence of my calculations.

If you are with SP and continuing to do so there is no need to build a spreadsheet as I have to control things. My advice is to submit readings just after your DD appears in your account and use the DD manager to set your DD Ė if youíve never used it gives a graph of your annual consumption and has a threshold you can move to set the DD and you can set this line where you judge it is about average across the year if you see it is set too high (or low).

Leaving SP

Finally I have left as their renewal was not competitive. Also it has been getting harder and harder over the years to find the actual tariff details and particularly so this time. With the help of the Cheap Energy Club I have ended up switching to Bulb although I considered Avro and might have looked at Octopus who are a Which? recommended supplier in their last report.

My switch date was the 28th January.

I submitted my readings (to new supplier Bulb) when requested on 24th Jan.

I ignored the calls from SP who were obviously going to ring to try and convince me to stay. I knew I wanted to go regardless of them offering me some special deal or whatever and that what I was moving to was competitive. Also I avoided the kind of conversation recounted by TheRennovator in post #648.

I got various emails along the way from Bulb and Scottish Power. Also proforma letter from SP outlining the switch process and how to go back to them. The first letter since 2011!

I monitored my SP account and on 8th Feb a debit appeared in my account which is about what they would owe me after the final bill. On the 12th Feb I got 4 emails telling me my final bills had been generated Ė separate for gas and electricity (in case the switch didnít happen on the same day for both) and duplicated! One of the emails had a button/link to request my refund but when I checked my bank account they had already done this.

So just over 2 weeks from switch date to final bill. Much quicker than the maximum of 6 weeks.

One other thing.

Over the last couple of years I was continually battered by SP trying to get me to have a smart meter even when I had said no they would have another go. Why did I resist, well, horror stories of poor installations and then not wanting a SMETS1. Also as I monitor my energy closely and Iím an electronic engineeer it would be unlikely that I would find anything to turn off. Elderly friends I help with energy deals have got SMETS1 meters so they donít have to read the meters and so are currently Ďtrappedí with their current supplier.
    • hybernia
    • By hybernia 14th Feb 19, 11:39 AM
    • 301 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    hybernia
    Good to know that everything went well in your case. You managed your account sensibly and were on top of the situation all the way through. And SP actually managed to undertake the simple tasks required of it by billing you accurately, up to and including the final statement, and promptly refunding the surplus in your account at termination of contract.

Truly, wonders never cease.
    • PhilBB
    • By PhilBB 14th Feb 19, 4:15 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    PhilBB
    hybernia

They are far from saints as you know. It's all hidden behind this one sentence in my post

"I found over the years to never deal with anyone at SP (phone or messages)."

- waiting an hour to get through to someone who didn't have a good command of english, getting switched to a new tariff when I made an enquiry and never asked - language again. Just as poor communication by messaging. Gradually over time it has become harder to find the real tariff documents - in my opinion the TCRs have not help, you need to do calculations with real consumption; doing it yourself or the most reliable comparisons come from Which? Switch or Cheap Energy Club.

Anyway, my post was aimed at hopefully helping anyone who can't leave (yet) to manage their account.
    • Hargel112
    • By Hargel112 16th Feb 19, 8:11 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Hargel112
    Great until you have a problem
    I've used Scottish Power in the past with no problems, but I'm having a nightmare with them now I'm acting for my elderly parents and am trying to sell the now empty family home 300 miles away. When the electric meter failed last August, I had a book a repair appointment to suit Scottish Power, not me and then having arranged my trip they cancelled it the week before. With the new meter installed I tried to enter readings, only to discover that their system hadn't been reset and that I would have to wait 6-8 weeks for this to happen. 9 weeks later, I tried again, but this time was told they needed the serial number of the meter to do the reset plus photos of the meter. It would then be another 6-8 week wait. Having sent this info in, I called to see if things couldn't be done any faster as my parents (now in care) were paying £119pm for minimal energy use. I was encouraged to make a complaint, which I did. A complaints adviser called me within the week and TOLD me what SP had done to correct the situation. There was limited conversation - it was like getting a lecture and I was made to feel ungrateful when I questioned his attitude. There was barely an apology. The correction included generating a revised bill based on the new readings. 2 weeks later I called SP to query it. I confirmed that they had incorrectly charged my parents nearly £300 more than our readings warranted and that they were now sitting on a credit balance of over £500 after that payment. I can't get that back until the next 1/4ly bill period. Suffice it to say, I won't be switching back to them myself in a hurry .....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,609Posts Today

9,021Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Right back to self imposed twitter exile until Thur - trying to be off work (not v successfully)

• Too painful to talk about. That result really was offsensive. For rancid cheese & onion to beat powerful salt & v? https://t.co/FJchchPk0o

• If you think this hypothetical's bad, here's some of my past polls - Which past PM would u resurrect to aid politi? https://t.co/N61QGBOJ6b

• Follow Martin