Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bluphoto
    • By bluphoto 12th Feb 19, 4:45 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 9Thanks
    bluphoto
    OurPower went bust - is debit balance written off?
    • 12th Feb 19, 4:45 PM
    OurPower went bust - is debit balance written off? 12th Feb 19 at 4:45 PM
    Hi guys,
    We've been with OurPower for a little over a year, and it took them over 6 months to set up our direct debit. When we finally realised that they hadn't been collecting our monthly energy payment, we had already clocked up around £800 of debt.
    We managed to set up a repayment scheme to get it paid off, and are down to approx £200 debt.
    Now they have gone bust (hopefully that wasn't my fault) and OFCOM have asked another company to take over their supply contracts.
    This company has higher tarriffs, and I want to move away from them at my earliest opportunity. I'm not actually convinced that I owe this new company anything, do I?

thanks
Page 1
    • missmaybesaver
    • By missmaybesaver 12th Feb 19, 4:53 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    missmaybesaver
    • 12th Feb 19, 4:53 PM
    • 12th Feb 19, 4:53 PM
    Lots of useful info here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/01/utilita-to-take-on-our-power-s-38-000-customers/

In terms of the debit balance it says you should wait to hear from the administrators.

You’ll need to pay Utilita for the period they supply you, i.e from the date you moved to them under the supplier of last resort process, to whatever date you switch away to another supplier.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 12th Feb 19, 7:31 PM
    • 27,727 Posts
    • 13,609 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 12th Feb 19, 7:31 PM
    • 12th Feb 19, 7:31 PM
    OurPower went bust - is debit balance written off?

When a firm 'goes bust' i.e. goes into administration, administrators are appointed and one of their tasks is to collect any money owing to the failed firm. So your debt is not written off and, as indicated above, you will be contacted by the administrators to repay that debt.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,215Posts Today

7,667Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @jeremyskidmore: @MartinSLewis I like Martin and he comes out with some excellent advice for consumers - particularly re-pointless Xmas?

• RT @davidgill1985: @MartinSLewis I actually love these polls (sad I know) - but imagine how amazing it would be to be a lion or soar the sk?

• RT @susie_dent: Let's never forget the 18th century Scottish term 'hurkle-durkling': lounging in bed long after it's time to get up.

• Follow Martin