Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • conradlbourne
    • By conradlbourne 6th Feb 19, 8:01 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    conradlbourne
    IRESA- Deloitte debt letter
    • 6th Feb 19, 8:01 PM
    IRESA- Deloitte debt letter 6th Feb 19 at 8:01 PM
    I was a former customer of IRESA. I left long before they went bust. Before I moved I had to bring my account into balance which was a challenge given the bad IRESA customer service.

I had long since forgotten about them except today I received a letter from the administrators Deloittes with a demand for £256.00 informing me that was the amount I owed IRESA. I have been with my new provider for over nine months and have not had any bills or contact from IRESA and now have this demand. I don't have any IRESA bills (all done online) but as I have said II wasn't able to switch until my account was brought into balance.

I haven't responded to the debt collection agency Deloittes have appointed yet. Any advice/guidance? Anyone else had one of these letters?

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 6th Feb 19, 8:10 PM
    • 5,522 Posts
    • 2,450 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 6th Feb 19, 8:10 PM
    • 6th Feb 19, 8:10 PM
    I left Iresa with a small credit balance when they went bust in July - just checked and I can still log in to the Iresa accounts pages, and see my balance,bills,meter readings etc. If you can remember your log in credentials this should be your first port of call
    • Sidspin
    • By Sidspin 7th Feb 19, 2:29 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Sidspin
    • 7th Feb 19, 2:29 PM
    • 7th Feb 19, 2:29 PM
    I too have received a letter stating that I owe money for an outstanding balance of £253.98 . This figure matches exactly the refund I received from iresa when I left them back in april 2018, as I`d built up that much in credit on my account. I`m not sure how they can ask for this refunded money to be returned to them as I`d been overcharged each month and built up a credit so the money is rightfully mine and refunded to me when I swapped providers.
    • conradlbourne
    • By conradlbourne 7th Feb 19, 5:32 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    conradlbourne
    • 7th Feb 19, 5:32 PM
    Deemed read???
    • 7th Feb 19, 5:32 PM
    So I too can also login and have just seen the balance showing this debt.I had never seen this bill before or knew that it existed?

I notice that it says on the bill that the meter was 'deemed read' for a 5 month period leading upto March 2018. The previous period says 'routine read' which I suppose was the actual reading. I don't understand this as before I left I remember updating the readings so they could generate a balance for me to pay so I could leave.

Any advice of options?
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 7th Feb 19, 5:44 PM
    • 1,502 Posts
    • 1,093 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    • 7th Feb 19, 5:44 PM
    • 7th Feb 19, 5:44 PM
    @Conradlb...
    Does the deemed reading match the opening reading of the supplier you moved to in March?
    • saveme2019
    • By saveme2019 8th Feb 19, 4:43 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    saveme2019
    • 8th Feb 19, 4:43 PM
    IRESA- Deloitte debt letter
    • 8th Feb 19, 4:43 PM
    I've had one to. Switched suppliers before they went bust but they kept billing. Spent over 6 unsuccessful months trying to sort it, then they went bust before account could be corrected and final bills issued. They want nearly £300 - mostly for bills after i'd switched ?? Spoken to the debt agency and my initial thoughts are that they are going to be a nightmare to deal with. I've been on my IRESA online account and worked out I owe them around £50. Bit of irony here, but I work for the debt collection team of one of the big six suppliers. So I spent an hour getting all the information and putting it on email to one of the agency staff I spoke to on phone. No reply after two days and when I rang them she is apparently off for unknown period and no-one can access her work. Was just advised to wait until she returns but I was advised no debt collection action will take place at present.
    I'd suggest, if you can access your old accounts then check them carefully, put any discrepancies you fine in email if possible - I would not recommend phoning them. Think this is going to be a long slog but no-one should have to pay anything IRESA are not due and it is down to the agency to prove to you the money is owed and what for.
    • aduffell
    • By aduffell 8th Feb 19, 5:03 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    aduffell
    • 8th Feb 19, 5:03 PM
    • 8th Feb 19, 5:03 PM
    I've had one too! I'm get to be notified of a final bill for my account 12 months after I left them, so as far as I am aware this cannot be charged under the back billing regulations. They should have provided a final bill within 6 weeks of me leaving, but this letter - which states a balance, with no break down is the first I have been informed of this amount.

I have sent a formal complaint to Deloitte.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 8th Feb 19, 5:13 PM
    • 4,391 Posts
    • 2,805 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 8th Feb 19, 5:13 PM
    • 8th Feb 19, 5:13 PM
    The best advice is to try and download all the old bills and statements that you can and hope that you've kept your own records of meter readings and DD payments and put your evidence together.

It really is worthwhile, checking your bills monthly, try to get them corrected (by e-mail if neccessary) and SAVING it all as PDFs so that you have your own evidence.

Energy companies dying an unnatural death seems to be the shape of things, so keeping your own records for the statutary six years would be a really good idea.

You dont have to print it all out, just save the PDFs. but havig your own records makes it so much easier to challenge if or when it all goes wrong.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
    • molerat
    • By molerat 8th Feb 19, 5:34 PM
    • 20,531 Posts
    • 14,802 Thanks
    molerat
    • 8th Feb 19, 5:34 PM
    • 8th Feb 19, 5:34 PM
    You can print out the complete list of transactions from the Iresa site, handy to compare.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 8th Feb 19, 5:46 PM
    • 5,522 Posts
    • 2,450 Thanks
    brewerdave
    I would download everything you can from the Iresa site asap; Once the administrators realise that "debtors" can see their actual transactions, I suspect that they will disable access to the database!!
    • M0ney
    • By M0ney 9th Feb 19, 12:37 AM
    • 441 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    M0ney
    I have just looked a my inbox, looks like I left them at the end of March, here's hoping they leave me alone, I got a refund because I had a credit balance.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 9th Feb 19, 10:00 AM
    • 7,138 Posts
    • 13,276 Thanks
    Farway
    I have just looked a my inbox, looks like I left them at the end of March, here's hoping they leave me alone, I got a refund because I had a credit balance.
    Originally posted by M0ney
    Same here, fingers crossed
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 9th Feb 19, 10:00 AM
    • 1,425 Posts
    • 445 Thanks
    JohnB47
    I would download everything you can from the Iresa site asap; Once the administrators realise that "debtors" can see their actual transactions, I suspect that they will disable access to the database!!
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    Thanks for the advice. I've just done that, just to be safe. My info (dual fuel) shows a small debit on the electric account but an £80 credit on gas. So my account overall was in credit and everything went smoothly in my move to Octopus - I subsequently got a refund from Octopus.

Just for info, anyone wanting to download their info should log in to their IRESA account and on the first page that opens, look for the small icons to the right of the search box. You can choose to download as a pdf, or print out your transactions - in my case I decided to download to pdf for both the gas and electic.

I've already got a saved copy of all my bills from IRESA and Octopus.
    • zeon
    • By zeon 11th Feb 19, 8:34 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    zeon
    On Friday I received a letter from Deloittes , basically a bill for £196.
    Cant explain how sick I feel. The full year I was with Iresa was absolute Hell. Unable to make contact, countless hours in never ending phone cues. They made me pay 2 massive unexpected bills. Which I paid. I know this company overcharged me and I thought it had ended. I was just so glad and exhausted to finally be able to leave them, many months before they went into administration. Now I get a letter demanding payment from Deloittes. Never have I experienced anything like this. Ofgem get this sorted now.
    • aduffell
    • By aduffell 12th Feb 19, 11:44 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    aduffell
    I emailed Emma Harrison from Deloitte pointing out that I'd never been notified of a final bill, and as such had never been billed for the balance they were requesting.
    I pointed out the Energy Back Billing rules, as they cannot charge you for energy that can reasonably expected to have been used over 12 months ago. It's also worth noting, that the Deloitte letter is NOT a formal bill, so essentially I still await my final bill.

I had an email back stating:
    "Thank you for your email in relation to Iresa Limited – In Administration.

Firstly, please be assured that we will work with you to establish the correct position on your old account with the Company.

You will have received the letter dated 1 February 2019 as the Company’s records prior to our appointment showed that you were a previous customer of Iresa and that there was a balance still due.

Based on what you have outlined below and our investigations into your account, we will instruct CDS to not pursue this claim any further and I apologise for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Thank you for raising the issue with us."
    I hope this is the last I hear from them!
    • Yorkshireguy2018
    • By Yorkshireguy2018 12th Feb 19, 5:52 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Yorkshireguy2018
    I too have had a letter, requesting £392.50. We left them in April 2018, I took a photo of the meter that day which was required for my new supplier, Bulb. Thank goodness I still have it. Ireasa have quoted that they never received a meter read from us, since Sept 2017, however when meter readings were uploaded to their site, they e-mailed confirming receipt WITH THE METER READING I HAD SUBMITTED. I’ve e-mailed Deloitte, hopefully it will be rectified ASAP.
    • dcmcquade
    • By dcmcquade 13th Feb 19, 1:15 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dcmcquade
    I’m guessing Deloitte issued a huge batch of these letters at the start of February as I have one too. I left Iresa almost a year and half ago (Oct ‘17) after 6 months of complete incompetence so was shocked to get a letter saying I was owe them £610!! This despite receiving a final bill from Iresa and actually getting a small refund once my account was closed. I’ve now accessed my account online and checked the bills and apparently despite me switching in October ‘17 it appears they continued to charge me for electricity up until March ‘18 so check your bills very carefully.
    I think it’s absolutely shocking that Deloitte can send out these letters with no accompanying evidence or bill showing how the outstanding amounts have been arrived at. I’m not unduly concerned as I was able to check my bills and can provide evidence that I don’t owe anything but imagine a vulnerable person getting this letter saying that a debt collection agency will be in touch to recover this ‘debt’! Disgusting behaviour.
    I will be emailing Deloitte to get them to call off their arrack dogs and me also refer it to my MP as this should not be allowed.
    • nigelbb
    • By nigelbb 13th Feb 19, 2:05 PM
    • 2,280 Posts
    • 3,056 Thanks
    nigelbb
    I left Iresa when I moved house in August 2017. Never did get a final bill so I really do owe them money If Deloitte have sent me an invoice then I haven’t received it. I have mail forwarding set up until next August so I am guessing that they haven’t sent a letter.
    Last edited by nigelbb; 13-02-2019 at 2:10 PM.
    • macman
    • By macman 13th Feb 19, 2:37 PM
    • 43,239 Posts
    • 18,409 Thanks
    macman
    Deloitte can only work with the billing data inherited from Iresa, and we all know how hopelessly flawed that would have been. Their job is solely to maximise the assets in order to try and pay off the creditors.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 15th Feb 19, 7:36 PM
    • 918 Posts
    • 559 Thanks
    Raxiel
    I got one too. Funny thing is I did get a final bill and got the account settled (a credit refund). The money 'owed' on the account is actually from estimated reads their broken system added after I left.

I've responded explaining why I don't owe anything and asked them to confirm the matter is closed. If they don't listen to reason I'll just tell them to take me to court, and issue a counter claim if they're dumb enough to do so.

To be fair to them though, I bet the records they're working to are a hopeless mess. The amount of time I wasted dealing with Iresa's incompetence has far outweighed any savings on my bills during the time I was their customer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,477Posts Today

5,443Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin