Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Fraser
    • By MSE Fraser 26th Nov 15, 9:31 AM
    • 30Posts
    • 4Thanks
    MSE Fraser
    Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback
    • 26th Nov 15, 9:31 AM
    Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback 26th Nov 15 at 9:31 AM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Avro Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 07-09-2017 at 3:18 PM.
Page 37
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 12th Feb 19, 12:36 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    wavelets
    We went with Avro last year and recently did a renewal and I am really wishing we did not

We are in credit - they will not pay it back even though this was said to happen before the renewal went through
    Originally posted by Shenstone
    It'll be carried forward and maybe used to reduce the monthly amount paid. But if you want it back, ask and I'm sure they will send it to you ... but they may increase your monthly paymenst as a result

They have actioned the new price in the renewal despite us not hitting the renewal date yet
    Unless the agreed otherwise before you transferred, that is quite usual across the whole industry

Their phone lines are only open during working hours and rarely answered even then

They do not respond to emails even to acknowledge receiving them

One to AVOID imo

Regards
    Andy
    Presumably, none of this has changed recently, and yet you decided to renew with this supplier after being presumably content with them last year

Welcome to MSE, btw
    • Shenstone
    • By Shenstone 12th Feb 19, 4:46 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Shenstone
    It'll be carried forward and maybe used to reduce the monthly amount paid. But if you want it back, ask and I'm sure they will send it to you ... but they may increase your monthly paymenst as a result
    Originally posted by wavelets
    They were very reluctant to even talk about it and it took some time and was "referred to a manager" and took more than one call it was very much a case where they seemed to want to hang onto the large balance in their favour at all costs. Even after calls and finally an agreement it seems that they will only process the refund after management review and a payment run some time later.

Unless the agreed otherwise before you transferred, that is quite usual across the whole industry
    If I have a contract that starts with an agreed payment level from a certain date I do not expect to be charged that 10 days before the agreed date starts, and when I had responded to the email telling me they were taking the payment stating I was not happy for them to do so because there was a large balance in their favour(still no reponse on that). It may be usual in this industry, but it's a charlatan type practise IMO

Presumably, none of this has changed recently, and yet you decided to renew with this supplier after being presumably content with them last year
    The dodgy behavior only came to light once I had agreed to renew and they started trying to back out of an agreement to settle the overpayment we had made in the prior year - I have used the rights I have in coolling off and am switching using the MSE cheap enteregy club... I'm still saying that they seem to be worth avoiding

Welcome to MSE, btw
    I wish I had read more on this forum before I had renewed
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 12th Feb 19, 8:16 PM
    • 5,178 Posts
    • 2,589 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . I have used the rights I have in coolling off and am switching using the MSE cheap enteregy club...
    The cooling-off period only applies when you switch supplier. If you have switched to a fixed tariff then you may have to pay early-termination charges if you switch to another supplier. So be careful.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • Shenstone
    • By Shenstone 15th Feb 19, 8:01 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Shenstone
    The cooling-off period only applies when you switch supplier. If you have switched to a fixed tariff then you may have to pay early-termination charges if you switch to another supplier. So be careful.
    Originally posted by Consumerist
    sorry wrong terminology - there were no exit fees and I was in the time that they said I could change my mind so I am not expecting further issues
    • sevenonine
    • By sevenonine 17th Feb 19, 11:46 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    sevenonine
    Avro problem re final bill and refund of £127credit
    These are first-rate sxxxxxxels - I switched from them on 10 January 2019. My last day with them was 5 January 2019 and I would have been on their standard tariff for 6 days (5-10 January 2019) with already £87 in credit. I rang to ask when I would receive their final statement and was told it would take 15 working days for the final statement and any refund would take a further 10 days.

Well, I received their statement on 15 February 2019 showing a credit of £127. However, they calculated my tariff for 2 extra days 10-12 January 2019. In addition, they disputed my Gas reading of 10 January 2019 - I've never had any supplier dispute my reading! As I've kept my direct debit open- advised for money due to be paid or refunds - they even took my monthly payment of £57 on 26 January 2019 to which they were not entitled. Perhaps I should cancel it now before they take the next payment on 26 February!

According to their complaints procedure, it progresses to various levels of their Customer Service before it can be raised with the Ombudsman.

Please tell me how I can possibly thwart this corrupt company and receive my refund. Any dispute I raise with them, say about the extra 2 days charged, will only give them more time before they return what I am due.

Also, should I cancel my direct debit Ė is this how they repay a refund?
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 17th Feb 19, 1:03 PM
    • 5,178 Posts
    • 2,589 Thanks
    Consumerist
    These are first-rate sxxxxxxels - I switched from them on 10 January 2019. My last day with them was 5 January 2019 and I would have been on their standard tariff for 6 days (5-10 January 2019) with already £87 in credit. I rang to ask when I would receive their final statement and was told it would take 15 working days for the final statement and any refund would take a further 10 days.
    Well, I received their statement on 15 February 2019 showing a credit of £127. However, they calculated my tariff for 2 extra days 10-12 January 2019. In addition, they disputed my Gas reading of 10 January 2019 - I've never had any supplier dispute my reading! As I've kept my direct debit open- advised for money due to be paid or refunds - they even took my monthly payment of £57 on 26 January 2019 to which they were not entitled. Perhaps I should cancel it now before they take the next payment on 26 February!
    According to their complaints procedure, it progresses to various levels of their Customer Service before it can be raised with the Ombudsman.
    Please tell me how I can possibly thwart this corrupt company and receive my refund. Any dispute I raise with them, say about the extra 2 days charged, will only give them more time before they return what I am due.
    Also, should I cancel my direct debit – is this how they repay a refund?
    Originally posted by sevenonine
    OK. Firstly, if you switch within (or after) the 49-day switching window then suppliers are obliged to keep you on your previously contracted tariff until you do switch. They should not change your tariff to their standard variable before you switch.

Second, unfortunately the only way to refer a complaint to the ombudsman is to first start the supplier's complaints procedure. You can refer the complaint 8 weeks after you first raised the issue complained about. Sadly, there is no way round this protracted procedure if you want to involve the Ombudsman.

If you have switched then there is nothing to stop you cancelling the DD at your bank. You should advise Avro that you have done so - preferably as soon as possible so they cannot claim you involved them in the unnecessary expense of a rejected DD. Some suppliers claim that they will need to refund by cheque in these circumstances but I regularly cancel mine when I've switched and they have always used the DD system to refund.

At the moment there is little customers can do to thwart the energy companies financial skulduggery. It just takes time.

Things are a-changing, however. From spring refunds must be made within 10 working days of final bills - Ofgem is still cogitating how long final bills should take but it looks likely to be 6 weeks after a switch. Avro seems to be taking full advantage of the time allowed.
    Last edited by Consumerist; 17-02-2019 at 1:16 PM.
    • Grahamlewis330
    • By Grahamlewis330 19th Feb 19, 9:02 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Grahamlewis330
    Terrible company. Good rates and fine when things are going smoothly. Terrible customer service and complaints handling when they are not. Was promised a rebate on a 160 pound overpayment. Didn't action it for a month. Called up to chase, no acknowledgement, no apology, just demanded another meter reading. Passed to their "head of complaints, who was terrible. Didn't acknowledge the complaint, didn't explain the complaint handling procedure. Just wanted an argument over it being my fault.

Mickey mouse company, run by youngsters with no experience. No real understanding of how to treat customers or even the basics of running a serious company. No one to talk to after 5 (4.30 on Fridays) or weekends. Prepare to use up a lot of lunch breaks getting through
    • AbbieCadabra
    • By AbbieCadabra 21st Feb 19, 7:20 AM
    • 1,594 Posts
    • 957 Thanks
    AbbieCadabra
    Things are a-changing, however. From spring refunds must be made within 10 working days of final bills - Ofgem is still cogitating how long final bills should take but it looks likely to be 6 weeks after a switch. Avro seems to be taking full advantage of the time allowed.
    Originally posted by Consumerist
    if they're still running at that time, this change will definitely send them under. There's still a steady stream of complaints regarding lack of refunds/nobody answering the phones on all social media & they've now removed their phone number from their website (but still on their facebook page), website states to contact them via social media or letter!

I presume credit balances would be protected if they go under??
    • wrongplanet
    • By wrongplanet 21st Feb 19, 8:51 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    wrongplanet
    if they're still running at that time, this change will definitely send them under
    Originally posted by AbbieCadabra
    It's looking increasingly likely they're headed that way.

Seems like I can wave goodbye to the £25 cashback still owed from my ill-advised tariff switch back in September.

[Edit] Looking at their FB page it seems they've been having "planned maintenance" closures of their phone lines since at least September last year. Could they be having trouble keeping call handlers?
    Last edited by wrongplanet; 21-02-2019 at 10:17 AM.
    • Logen
    • By Logen 21st Feb 19, 1:54 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Logen
    if they're still running at that time, this change will definitely send them under. There's still a steady stream of complaints regarding lack of refunds/nobody answering the phones on all social media & they've now removed their phone number from their website (but still on their facebook page), website states to contact them via social media or letter!

I presume credit balances would be protected if they go under??
    Originally posted by AbbieCadabra
    The option to contact Avro via email is still there.
    On their website, there is still a phone number to make additional payments (0330 058 2005).
    I think this is the only number Avro made available to customers so it should still be 'live'.
    • sevenonine
    • By sevenonine 21st Feb 19, 4:09 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    sevenonine
    Thanks Consumerist for your comments and advice. I have cancelled my D/D and spoke on 18 Feb to Jenny (Avro) who would not give her surname. I said I was very angry about the D/D payment taken and said I wanted to raise a complaint.

Since then, I've spoken to So Energy, my new provider, because my reading of 10 January 2019 (6953) was referred to the Central Gas Industry for validation and the opening reading was revised to 6989 (36 extra units). I had thought it was Avro who had referred it for validation! In fact it was SOE who did so and now I am embroiled with SOE who tell me all opening readings are validated - if so why are these not subject to change? I have told SOE that I am a single user/owner/resident and have never had my readings disputed.

I want to know the website for the Central Gas Industry - I haven't been able to find it - does anyone know? I shall want to ask whether it is in their gift to spend time working out the validity of readings!!
    Last edited by sevenonine; 21-02-2019 at 4:19 PM. Reason: to make my meaning clearer
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 21st Feb 19, 5:57 PM
    • 5,178 Posts
    • 2,589 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . I've spoken to So Energy, my new provider, because my reading of 10 January 2019 (6953) was referred to the Central Gas Industry for validation and the opening reading was revised to 6989 (36 extra units). I had thought it was Avro who had referred it for validation! In fact it was SOE who did so and now I am embroiled with SOE who tell me all opening readings are validated - if so why are these not subject to change? I have told SOE that I am a single user/owner/resident and have never had my readings disputed.
    I want to know the website for the Central Gas Industry - I haven't been able to find it - does anyone know? I shall want to ask whether it is in their gift to spend time working out the validity of readings!!
    Originally posted by sevenonine
    Regarding the opening/closing readings when you switch, you might find an article from <Octopus Energy> enlightening.

I wouldn't worry too much about the increased hand-over gas readings because, at the moment, it's a fair bet that your new supplier's prices are more expensive than the old tariff you were on - so the more energy charged to the old supplier the cheaper it will be for you in the long run. But you won't get as much of a refund as you may have expected.

The main energy-industry companies are Elexon for electricity and Xoserve for gas but, as far as I know, the validation service is not open to access by energy customers. It is, anyway, an automated process so the best anyone would be able tell you is what the "computer" says. It is a long process to challenge and there needs to be a sufficient discrepancy for a challenge to be accepted.

Sorry this isn't much help but there is not much anyone can do.
    Last edited by Consumerist; 21-02-2019 at 6:01 PM.
    • philng
    • By philng 28th Feb 19, 7:58 AM
    • 657 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    philng
    Just renewed with AVRO on new Fixed Rate only launched this week Simple & Prime which is £25 less than their last Fixed Rate.

Personally had no issues with AVRO but then again never had to contact them & still offer the most competitive FIXED rate with NO exit fees.
    • wrongplanet
    • By wrongplanet 28th Feb 19, 12:09 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    wrongplanet
    Personally had no issues with AVRO but then again never had to contact them...
    Originally posted by philng
    The pattern seems to be they're fine until you either leave or, as in my case, make the mistake of changing tariff - in my case to the MSE/CEC one.

In precis they didn't confirm the switch, when challenged said it was up to MSE/CEC to do this, told MSE/CEC that the switch had failed and as of my last contact with MSE/CEC haven't paid their intro fee or even responded to them so I'm still waiting for my cashback.

As they never confirmed the switch they didn't notify me of the increased DD, then claimed they must have and when asked to provide proof responded with "I will not be discussing this matter with you any further".

Good luck.
    Last edited by wrongplanet; 09-03-2019 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Late spotted typo
    • Gambler
    • By Gambler 28th Feb 19, 3:32 PM
    • 3,185 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Gambler
    Just renewed with AVRO on new Fixed Rate only launched this week Simple & Prime which is £25 less than their last Fixed Rate.

Personally had no issues with AVRO but then again never had to contact them & still offer the most competitive FIXED rate with NO exit fees.
    Originally posted by philng

Just noticed that today but I only renewed 2 weeks ago.

It won't let you change again like EON used to.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 28th Feb 19, 4:13 PM
    • 5,178 Posts
    • 2,589 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Originally posted by Gambler
    Most Avro tariffs have no exit fee, so what's to stop you ?

After a mild winter and low demand for the time of year, I wonder if is this an indication that energy prices have peaked for the time being.
    Last edited by Consumerist; 28-02-2019 at 4:20 PM.
    • victor2
    • By victor2 28th Feb 19, 6:41 PM
    • 4,915 Posts
    • 3,288 Thanks
    victor2

Originally posted by Gambler
    I changed to a new cheaper fixed tariff part way through an existing one. Did it over the phone, although getting a human to answer can be a bit of a challenge these days.
    However, it looks like you can also change online, although maybe not if you've already got a change pending.
    • John Butterworth
    • By John Butterworth 1st Mar 19, 7:35 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    John Butterworth
    Great small supplier
    Switched from one of the Cheap Energy Clubís mass switch deals with British Gas 2 years ago to Avro. The switch was very smooth with no issues whatsoever. We switched again once that deal came an end to another Avro fixed price deal on their website. Very easy to do. Only had cause to contact them once (a simple query about Smart Meters) and had a very quick response. They allow you to switch at any time without early exit fees so thereís nothing to lose from giving them a try. Although they are a small energy supplier donít let it put you off. Over two years with them and nothing but positives so far!
    • victor2
    • By victor2 1st Mar 19, 8:49 AM
    • 4,915 Posts
    • 3,288 Thanks
    victor2
    Switched from one of the Cheap Energy Clubís mass switch deals with British Gas 2 years ago to Avro....
    Originally posted by John Butterworth

mmmm, signed up specially to post this.
    if it looks like canned pork, smells like canned pork, it probably is
    • Catriona_P
    • By Catriona_P 1st Mar 19, 8:54 AM
    • 799 Posts
    • 4,707 Thanks
    Catriona_P
    My bills havn't been updated since November. I submitted meter readings in December and February which are registered on their system but no updated bills. My account is still saying it is £421 in credit (from November), my usage is far less than any of their estimates so I assume will be even higher by now and despite asking for a refund in December I havn't had it.

Reading other posts here I'm really concerned and considering switching supplier as a way to get my money back - is this what I should be doing?
    "Why, this is hell, nor am I out of it."
    LBM Debt March 12 - £3,241 Paid Aug 2014!
    Debt 2 - 0% CC (till Oct 17) - £2,021.22
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,350Posts Today

5,081Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin