Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MRGANNET
    • By MRGANNET 11th Feb 19, 5:06 PM
    • 108Posts
    • 48Thanks
    MRGANNET
    Backbilling
    • 11th Feb 19, 5:06 PM
    Backbilling 11th Feb 19 at 5:06 PM
    Hi all

I just received a bill from Green Star Energy for period 11th December 2017 - 17th January 2018. This is the first time they have issued it. Do the 'back billing' rules apply here?

We switched to EDF when we moved into our house in December 2017 so I was of the understanding I wouldn't be due anything, however, there was obviously a period when Green Star were supplying.

I'm more than happy to pay the bill, I just object to them waiting over 12 months to issue it!
Page 1
    • missmaybesaver
    • By missmaybesaver 12th Feb 19, 8:29 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    missmaybesaver
    • 12th Feb 19, 8:29 AM
    • 12th Feb 19, 8:29 AM
    I don’t think back billing applies if you didn’t let the current supplier at the time know that you’d moved in.

If you did let them know, and they’ve just taken that long to send you a bill, then it would come under back billing.
    • MRGANNET
    • By MRGANNET 12th Feb 19, 10:07 AM
    • 108 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    MRGANNET
    • 12th Feb 19, 10:07 AM
    • 12th Feb 19, 10:07 AM
    I don’t think back billing applies if you didn’t let the current supplier at the time know that you’d moved in.

If you did let them know, and they’ve just taken that long to send you a bill, then it would come under back billing.
    Originally posted by missmaybesaver
    Yes, I advised them on day 1 that we'd moved in and provided all our contact details so no excuse for them not billing previously.
    • missmaybesaver
    • By missmaybesaver 12th Feb 19, 10:29 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    missmaybesaver
    • 12th Feb 19, 10:29 AM
    • 12th Feb 19, 10:29 AM
    Ah right, it does sound like they’ve back billed you then if they’ve only just sent a bill for energy used over a year ago.
    • aduffell
    • By aduffell 12th Feb 19, 12:47 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    aduffell
    • 12th Feb 19, 12:47 PM
    • 12th Feb 19, 12:47 PM
    Phone them, and explain that you feel they have back billed you, and ask them to write the bill off.
    Also ask it to be raised as a formal complaint, and make a note of any complaint reference number.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,509Posts Today

7,839Users online

Martin's Twitter