Sainsburys trials reverse vending machines which pay 5p per plastic bottle or can - MSE News

Former_MSE_Callum
Former_MSE_Callum Posts: 696 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
edited 17 October 2020 at 2:28PM in Gone off!
Sainsbury’s has launched a reverse vending recycling trial which allows customers to return plastic bottles and drinks cans in exchange for 5p coupons towards their shop - and you could make up to £25 per trip...
Read the full story:
'Sainsburys trials reverse vending machines which pay 5p per plastic bottle or can'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Does no-one remember Tesco's "green clubcard points" scheme from about 10-12 years ago? They had reverse vending machines in some of their car parks. One clubcard point (1p) for every two items recycled.

I recall reading about one couple paying for a first class holiday just by recycling.

Machines got scrapped due to abuse (and lack of profitability) in the end.

I've used similar machines overseas and they are nearly always tucked away with the intention that shops don't want to pay to take your rubbish away when the local council will take it as kerbside recycling for free (e.g. in Tallinn, Estonia I couldn't find a machine in any city centre supermarket, until I got directed to the far end of the top floor of a shopping centre car park by a local, the machines were in a little cupboard without any signposting with no lights inside the cupboard).
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Several companies ( including Tesco & Morrisons in addition to this new Sainsburys scheme ) are currently running small trials of reverse vending
    https://www.lovemoney.com/news/81525/supermarkets-pay-you-recycle-bottle-return-deposit-plastic-bag
  • falcieri
    falcieri Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I think these are a great idea but I suspect widely open to abuse as you say. I was trying to think of ways I could get hold of more bottles and cans to recycle to give me a little bit of wiggle room on my £70 a month food budget.

That said, surely if it keeps more rubbish off the streets and into containers it has to be good long term if it's being honestly recycled. If every supermarket did it right across the country at its superstores it would have to be a good thing surely?

I often feel that the only incentive for recycling is people making money and until businesses find legitmate way to make cash out of recycling we're never going to be very good at it because at the end of the day everything comes down to profit margins.
  • K80_Black
    K80_Black Posts: 466 Forumite
    First Post
    I welcome it. I lived in Canada for a while, where they had deposits on bottles and cans - no litter on the streets as homeless people used to gather them all up to recycle.
  • never_too_old
    never_too_old Posts: 3,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Afternoon all

Where are Sainsburys trialing this?i cant see the information in that article?:)
    MAKE £2022 in 2022 no 29 £2022/£434.10
    Mortgage@ 1/1/2022 £17540 / £1601.39
    pay all your debts by xmas 2022 £15000/ £1865.29

https://www.facebook.com/groups/680889456637403
    you tube channel never too old
  • Diamandis
    Diamandis Posts: 881 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Only in Lincoln at the moment.
  • k4ren2006
    k4ren2006 Posts: 60 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    We're lucky enough to have a reverse pop bottle vending machine at our local Tesco. There's always a queue to use it and it even gets full so I really think this is a great idea (plus there's the added bonus of money off your shop)
  • never_too_old
    never_too_old Posts: 3,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    k4ren2006 wrote: »
    We're lucky enough to have a reverse pop bottle vending machine at our local Tesco. There's always a queue to use it and it even gets full so I really think this is a great idea (plus there's the added bonus of money off your shop)

what area are you in if you dont mind me asking?:)
    MAKE £2022 in 2022 no 29 £2022/£434.10
    Mortgage@ 1/1/2022 £17540 / £1601.39
    pay all your debts by xmas 2022 £15000/ £1865.29

https://www.facebook.com/groups/680889456637403
    you tube channel never too old
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,599 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    20 odd years ago as a child in the USA I would go out specially looking for bottles and cans that I could take to the supermarket for a credit note back.

Many countries run these schemes successfully and it is long over due here.

Before the carrier bag charge came into force there were many moans and negative scenarios imagined, very few of which have come true!
  • tboo
    tboo Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I remember as a small child taking back glass bottles to get enough money back to buy some sweets

Tescos used to have lorries in the carpark weighing aluminum cans and you would get 1p for each one

Germany have vending machines - you pay an extra 25c on the bottle then take it to Lidl (could be more but only know of this one as daughter shopped in it) and you get a coupon to use against your shopping
    Sometimes there were promotions on bottles/cans that were cheaper than the 25c rebate
    and there was definitely no litter in the streets, not that I saw as possibly others picked up the discarded bottles to take back or people didnt want to litter

My daughter did this on cans of pop and was given more money back than what she bought them for

I tell you we are reverting back to the old days
    “You’re only here for a short visit.
    Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.”
    Walter Hagen

365 Day 1p Challenge for 2021 #41 ✅
    Jar £440.31/£667.95 and Bank £389.67/£667.95

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts