Risk of redundancy

Hi

I wanted to get some advice on how I can leave my company whilst at risk of redundancy.

The redundancy process in itself is standard however the events leading up to the first meeting has made the process unfair and it’s obvious it has been put into place to push me out of the business.

The matrix they are using is unreasonable as my colleague (who is currently the same title) has been given more support and training. Therefore the selection process is not fair. Plus the manager who has trained her is conducting the scoring which I believe to be biased.

Over the last 4 months there has been various signs that redundancies were coming as I slowly had more work taken off me and i noticed that there was less for me to do. Whilst my colleague was very busy. My manager has been training my colleague up for the new role and also sent job descriptions therefore she was aware of what was going to be offered, when the risk of redundancy was to be presented.

I feel that by offering a consultation period they are just longing out the process to keep me there longer.

I was advised by Acas to ask my company for a settlement agreement but they have refused and would like for me to proceed with the consultations. I feel like this is a waste of time and just causing extra stress

I hope most of this makes sense. I just want someone to help me see if there is anything I can do as this is causing me a lot of stress.

I have been with the company for 11 years and would like to leave honourably and not humiliated any more

Thank you

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Alkapalka wrote: »
    Hi

I wanted to get some advice on how I can leave my company whilst at risk of redundancy.

The redundancy process in itself is standard however the events leading up to the first meeting has made the process unfair and it’s obvious it has been put into place to push me out of the business.

The matrix they are using is unreasonable as my colleague (who is currently the same title) has been given more support and training. Therefore the selection process is not fair. Plus the manager who has trained her is conducting the scoring which I believe to be biased.

Over the last 4 months there has been various signs that redundancies were coming as I slowly had more work taken off me and i noticed that there was less for me to do. Whilst my colleague was very busy. My manager has been training my colleague up for the new role and also sent job descriptions therefore she was aware of what was going to be offered, when the risk of redundancy was to be presented.

I feel that by offering a consultation period they are just longing out the process to keep me there longer.

I was advised by Acas to ask my company for a settlement agreement but they have refused and would like for me to proceed with the consultations. I feel like this is a waste of time and just causing extra stress

I hope most of this makes sense. I just want someone to help me see if there is anything I can do as this is causing me a lot of stress.

I have been with the company for 11 years and would like to leave honourably and not humiliated any more

Thank you

Well you can leave by giving notice, same as any job.

But surely it's worth waiting for to get the payment?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,543
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Resign and you'll walk away with nothing. If you're made redundant because your job no longer is yours, you'll get redundancy paid.

The choice is yours.

Almost forgot, don't dwell on honourable and humiliation, do what you have to do.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    11 weeks notice plus redundancy probably worth sticking it out.

Could use the consultation to encourage them to let you go.

Problem is coaching for a position in advance is legal.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,198
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I agree,given the length of time you have ben there it's worth sticking it out for the payment, unless of course you find an amazing new job in the meantime and just want to move on.

I think you might find it very hard to argue that the matrix is unreasonable or unfiar. I don't claim to be an expert but I don't think that the fact that your coworker has had more training make the selection process unfair.

It may be that she was more proactive in seeking extra training, or that your employer saw her as having more potential, and therfore were planning towards a promtion for her before the issue of redundancy arose, or any number of other reasons.

in smaller companies it is often impossible to svoid having people involved in the decision making process who also work with some of those being considered. Again, that wouldn't mean that the process is necessarily unfair.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Same with a lot of the comments on here, stick it out for now and get a redundancy payment. Although you might feel humilated by the actions at your workplace, leaving with nothing in place will probably create a bunch of new problems. After all, in my opinion, it's a small price to pay for keeping food on the table.

However, there is never any harm in looking for a new job in the meantime. When it comes to interviews, if an employer truly values you, they will structure these around your availability.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure