Sainsbury's New Regular Price is a Price Rise

In Sainsbury's they have glaring red stickers on the shelves saying New Regular Price.

Looks like you are being pointed to a bargain, but the ones I've seen have been a price increase! Which is good of them to point out. I think the intention was not to warn of a price increase.

For example, generic Ibuprofen more than doubled in price. (Though, it has since been slightly reduced as people stopped buying it, I presume.) And today cat food - Whiskas pouches - have gone up 10% and received the red sticker treatment. Much cheaper elsewhere

The basis of business is to assume we are all fools and can be duped! But they can't fool our cat.

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Perhaps a fit of pique to she the consumer what's what after the recent CMA ruling? CMA blocks merger between Sainsbury’s and Asda.

I've watched Asda go into decline in recent times, I predict a radical reaction in terms of jobs from them shortly.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Bacman
    Bacman Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Asda have good prices. Sainsburys used to but now are expensive like Tesco.

Red stockers (or yellow ones) are for reduced price items not price hikes; Sainsburys think they can dupe their customers.

I used to like to shop in Sainsburys along with the other stores, now I rarely shop there.
  • deborah100
    deborah100 Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I've noticed these around lately but didn't pay much attention to what the prices were
  • judexx
    judexx Posts: 495 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Bacman wrote: »
    Asda have good prices. Sainsburys used to but now are expensive like Tesco.

Red stockers (or yellow ones) are for reduced price items not price hikes; Sainsburys think they can dupe their customers.

I used to like to shop in Sainsburys along with the other stores, now I rarely shop there.

I find Sainsbury's quite a bit more expensive than Tesco now - like you I used to be a loyal Sainsbury customer but now only go there when I have too - prices are just too high :(
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sainsbury's seem to have taken a decision a few years ago to pitch itself somewhere nearer Waitrose in terms of perceived status. It was doomed to fail as whatever the reality, its image was below Waitrose's by some margin, albeit higher than Tesco's.

It turns out to have been a very unwise decision for another reason too, as a lot of middle class customers held their noses and gave Lidl and Aldi a try, What they found was that, beneath the unfamiliar brand names, lurked high quality products, almost always better than Sainsbury's own, and at far lower prices.

The one thing that set Sainsbury's apart from Tesco was the vague sense that even if its prices were high, it was somehow more ethical in the way it treated its customers than the spivs at Tesco. If the OP is right, it has now abandoned that, too.

The marriage with Asda (itself a hopeless case as, despite its size, Walmart proved to be no match for the Germans) was doomed to fail. It sought to unite a discounter which had been beaten at ts own game, with a Waitrose wanabe. How on earth was that supposed to work?

Where either Sainsbury's or Asda goes from here is anyone's guess. If I had shares in either, I would sell them.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    A._Badger wrote: »
    Sainsbury's seem to have taken a decision a few years ago to pitch itself somewhere nearer Waitrose in terms of perceived status. It was doomed to fail as whatever the reality, its image was below Waitrose's by some margin, albeit higher than Tesco's.

It turns out to have been a very unwise decision for another reason too, as a lot of middle class customers held their noses and gave Lidl and Aldi a try, What they found was that, beneath the unfamiliar brand names, lurked high quality products, almost always better than Sainsbury's own, and at far lower prices.

The one thing that set Sainsbury's apart from Tesco was the vague sense that even if its prices were high, it was somehow more ethical in the way it treated its customers than the spivs at Tesco. If the OP is right, it has now abandoned that, too.

The marriage with Asda (itself a hopeless case as, despite its size, Walmart proved to be no match for the Germans) was doomed to fail. It sought to unite a discounter which had been beaten at ts own game, with a Waitrose wanabe. How on earth was that supposed to work?

Where either Sainsbury's or Asda goes from here is anyone's guess. If I had shares in either, I would sell them.

I agree.:)

Another issue is that Sainsbury's used to offer good customer service but with staff cutbacks and even more self service check outs that seems to be waning .

Aldi meanwhile has no self service checkouts and staff seem to be trained to multi task so there's always someone on the shop floor busy stocking shelves but only too happy to help if asked.

I only visit Sainsbury's (my nearest to Aldi SM) for occasional things that Aldi doesn't have like a wide range of herbs and spices.
  • Rainbowgirl84
    Rainbowgirl84 Posts: 1,175 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 May 2019 at 5:12PM
    maman wrote: »
    I agree.:)

Another issue is that Sainsbury's used to offer good customer service but with staff cutbacks and even more self service check outs that seems to be waning .

Aldi meanwhile has no self service checkouts and staff seem to be trained to multi task so there's always someone on the shop floor busy stocking shelves but only too happy to help if asked.

I only visit Sainsbury's (my nearest to Aldi SM) for occasional things that Aldi doesn't have like a wide range of herbs and spices.

They do now!

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2019/04/aldi-launches-self-service-checkouts/
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite

Thanks for that. I don't object to them for anyone who wants to buy a sandwich or some people might prefer to serve themselves slowly. What I've noticed in our city centre Lidl though is huge queues and unstaffed check outs. Although, even where we don't have self service, Lidl don't seem to prioritise opening check outs.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    maman wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I don't object to them for anyone who wants to buy a sandwich or some people might prefer to serve themselves slowly. What I've noticed in our city centre Lidl though is huge queues and unstaffed check outs. Although, even where we don't have self service, Lidl don't seem to prioritise opening check outs.
    Agreed, where it has the SACTs Lidl should have an item limitation (10 would be sensible). If you've ever shopped in East Ham or central Ilford branches you'll know the queues make you want to drop your "quick purchase" and walk straight out again.

Whereas in Aldi SAs hop on and off tills like jack-in-the boxes. In Sainsburys, they sit there twiddling their thumbs!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Bacman
    Bacman Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    We only go to Lidl or Aldi occasionally and usually for certain items only.

It is interesting though that not only do the customers in those stores seem a lot friendlier to other customers but also the checkout staff are too.

Just an observation.

Larger supermarkets take note! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family