Start at the very beginning.

Brindlebabe
Brindlebabe Posts: 92 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 14 April 2019 at 10:17AM in Mortgage-free wannabe
Hello.

My husband, doggy and I moved in to our first flat in mid January. We're finding the prospect of the huge mortgage debt somewhat intimidating so have decided the best thing to reduce our anxieties is to try to do something about it!

Have been lurking on this forum now for a while, and making an occasional overpayment, so thought it was time to formalise the whole process and, hopefully, encourage me to make some more improvements.

To summarise the situation:
Bought flat for £235000 with £23500 deposit, so started with £211500 debt.
Nearly 3 months in have got that down to £209339.
Current rate is 2.29% fixed for 2 years - so will likely remortgage Jan 2021.
Hopefully will stay in this flat until my current training contract finishes in August 2023, then planning on relocating (although details of this remain unclear).

My take home pay is £2719 per month, with no real option to increase. Husband not working at present but may change. We're both in early 30s and don't like having any debt at all, but felt as though renting was an even worse financial arrangement so have taken plunge into mortgageland.

Fixed outgoings:
£732 for mortgage
£125 per month to my mum to pay back money for some windows due to finish March 2021.
£65 gas/electric
£ 36 water
£ 82 life/critical illness cover
£48 phone bills
£28 broadband
£38 gym memberships
£71 car insurance
£ 39 professional subscriptions
£150 longstanding debt to mother in law
£88 Ikea payment due to finish Jan 2020
£42 Doggy's insurance + health plan
??£100 council tax (not quite sure)

Which adds up to £1644. Student loan repayment and pension comes out of pay before it gets to me. Not sure when student loan will be paid but hopefully in next 3-4 years.
The rest of the money is used up on diesel (£200), Food (£280), entertaining ourselves (£?200)
and ad hoc expenses. So doesn't seem to be much left over each month, but the plan is for whatever is left over to go on the mortgage.

Plus my husband has got some ebaying to do which should go towards overpayments.

Current bank balance is £7333 (all be it with 2 weeks until payday) and we tend to leave a £4000 buffer in case of general emergencies. I think this is a reasonable buffer, but might consider reducing it in favour of an overpayment.

Also - have earmarked around £1500 for holiday (much, much needed), and new second hand car. So waiting until payday this month to see what I can overpay.

The goals are:
- Overpay as much as we can before remortgage in 2 years' time. Hopefully enough to get down to 85% LTV, which if the flat retains its value will mean overpayments on average of around £200 per month.
- Overpay enough so that when we move in around 5 years' time we can take around £60000 on to our next house. (Around £200/month at present but depends on remortgage rates, plus house value, and moving expenses!! So not much idea really)
- Be mortgage free by the time I'm 45 (13 years away!). (This may require some sort of windfall which I'm not sure where it's coming from - inheritance??!! - plus or minus a pay rise (which may be on the cards for around 5 years' time).

Any advice from seasoned mortgage overpayers would be hugely appreciated.
Hope that all makes some sort of sense.
Will try to post weekly. Hopefully posts won't be quite so dry in future but wanted to get the figures all down whilst I was concentrating.

Looking forward to it!
Brindlebabe x
Jan 2019: £211,500
September 2020: £197,600
Target: mortgage free by 2032

Comments

• Nichelette
    Nichelette Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Stopping by to say hello. You're right, our situations are so similar! I too an hoping my student loan should be paid back in the next 3-4 years, so that will be a bit extra in the pot. I'm so jealous you have a dog, sadly we work the same hours so it's not possible at the moment. I always had dogs growing up and it's one thing I really miss. I have a house bunny though (soon to be 2), so she fills the gap a bit.

Anyway, I have subscribed and will be here to cheer your overpayments on :)
    Finally bought a home
    Starting mortgage £289,500 31.01.19 - Current outstanding £207,243.66
    Overpayments since 27.03.19: £46,161.46
  • Lois_E
    Lois_E Posts: 2,227 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Brindlebabe and welcome to MFW. :wave:
    I'm sort-of new but sort-of old, having been on here a lot until 4 years ago, and then not at all until this week.
    I'm with Nichelette in envying you having a dog. What kind of dog have you got? I've had dogs in the past and am hoping to get another one this summer maybe.
    Starting again 13/4/19
    Home loan 1: £21,102.50 Home loan 2: £7,698.99
    Total owed: £28,801.49
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Hi guys,

My dog is a brindle Staffie cross. She’s like a giant Staffie. Some people are terrified when they see her bounding over in the park but she’s super soft and gorgeous.
    I would definitely recommend one if you can, but I know we can only have her because my husbands usually at home in the day. I am lucky in that regard.
    Plus she isn’t cheap to run!

Spent £256 in ikea yesterday on house stuff. Just lots of small things to make it nice like plants, cushion, light shades etc. Not good for the overpayment situation but there isn’t any point having a mortgage if you can’t make the flat nice enough to enjoy and we don’t do it very often (at all!). So I don’t feel too bad.
    Still hoping to overpay at the end of the month.

Thanks for stopping by - I feel more motivated already!

BB
  • BachSoon
    BachSoon Posts: 172 Forumite
    Training contract? Another legal bod...? Welcome!

Good luck with your plans, you seem very determined by :)

We have similar amounts to pay off.

I also agree with the sentiment of spending on house stuff - it's a long old slog on a mortgage, so you do need one treats along the way. [STRIKE]She says after spending £280 on revamping her bedroom at the weekend[/STRIKE]

Good luck
  • Hehe. Not legal no. I thought lawyers paid for there houses in cash?

Perhaps it’s not as glamorous as it seems..

Thanks for the support
  • *their

Isn’t there an edit option??
  • Socajam
    Socajam Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Is there any way you can pay off the student loan earlier which will leave you with one less debt in your life.
    You can then pay all the student loan money towards the mortgage.
  • Hmmm. Interesting.

I could definitely pay it off quicker, but not all straight away. The student loan company haven’t given me a stately for 2 years now, I chased it up about 2 months ago and I’m still waiting for an update - they had to chase up the taxman.. it won’t be down to a low enough level to pay off yet though.

I hadn’t thought about paying it off in preference to the mortgage. It comes off prior to tax, and with interest at the level of inflation so a much better kind of loan to the mortgage I thought. Would be nice to simplify the debt and get it down to the mortgage alone, but my student loan, ikea loan, loan to mum are all interest free/better rates, so was keen to concentrate on the mortgage. Husband does feel a bit uncomfortable having multiple debts though!

Thoughts welcomed
  • Hmmm. Interesting.

I could definitely pay it off quicker, but not all straight away. The student loan company haven’t given me a stately for 2 years now, I chased it up about 2 months ago and I’m still waiting for an update - they had to chase up the taxman.. it won’t be down to a low enough level to pay off yet though.

I hadn’t thought about paying it off in preference to the mortgage. It comes off prior to tax, and with interest at the level of inflation so a much better kind of loan to the mortgage I thought. Would be nice to simplify the debt and get it down to the mortgage alone, but my student loan, ikea loan, loan to mum are all interest free/better rates, so was keen to concentrate on the mortgage. Husband does feel a bit uncomfortable having multiple debts though!

Thoughts welcomed
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills