Keeping our options open

Options

Comments

• becky170
    becky170 Posts: 857 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well I haven't quite managed to stay away from the supermarket, but I have managed to only buy the essentials and have spent less than £5. This week has been pretty expensive as we've had to pay the balance of our holiday and I've signed up for some baby and toddler classes. I've not got long left on maternity leave now so I want to make the most of it.

Weaning starts next week so trying to get ready for that. I've lost the straps for the highchair, and after hunting high and low I have conceded defeat and ordered some replacement ones. Of course I'll now find them! I think I better join the decluttering thread! I've just got to find the blender now....let's hope I can find all the parts :)
    Mortgage-free wannabe #66 £105/4000
  • becky170
    Options
    We obviously missed the memo that there is a mini heatwave and went out to the park with our coats on whilst everyone else was wearing t-shirts. The weather's looking good for the next couple of days so I better get some washing on the line!

As it's nearly payday I've been looking at our spreadsheets to see how we've done this month. Although we've overspent in most areas (although not massively) we have at least spent less then we had coming in :) next month is going to be an expensive one as we've got the home insurance due and we're having a week staycation. I've traded in some tesc0 clubcard vouchers for zoo vouchers and we've got NT membership so we'll be able to have a couple of cheapish trips out.

Just requested £10 from Quidc0 so that will go towards the mortgage when it comes through.

Yesterday was a nsd and today will be another nsd for me as i'm waiting in for a delivery. Could do with having a couple of nsd this week!
  • becky170
    Options
    I've been thinking about the feasibility of being a stay at home parent. I haven't got a burning desire to be a stay at home parent, in fact for me as a person being at work is a better option, but as my DC is about to start school I can't help shake the feeling that being a stay at home parent might be better for our family. Financially I'm not sure we could make it work as we would need to cut about £400 to £500 a month from our budget. We could potentially do this by cutting out overpayments, money off our food shopping/family days out budgets and no holidays, but to be honest if interest rates were to rise I think we'd really be struggling. Saying that I'm not sure how much financially we'll be better off by me being in work, but at least then I'm not losing my future earning potential. I just keep going round and round in circles :(
  • becky170
    Options
    I've had my start of the month money move around. £100 has gone to our holiday/Christmas fund, our regular savers have been topped up and £116 has been overpayed to our mortgage :) ideally I need to overpay £134 a month to make my yearly target of £1615 so got another £18 to find which hopefully will be doable.
  • becky170
    Options
    My payment from Quidc0 has finally cleared into my account (it took ages this time) so that's another £11 overpayment made bringing my total for the month to £127. I'm not doing too bad on my grocery spending, I had a MrT shop delivered last night and used a £9 off a £60 voucher. MrS have also sent me a batch of £9 off £60 shops so may use them later in the month. I normally easily manage to spend £60 so I'm happy to use the vouchers, I just need to make sure that I'm not spending money for the sake of spending money.

We've been having a staycation this week. I cashed in some MrT vouchers to get tickets for the zoo and managed to get a 40% off voucher for main meals at a restaurant chain nearby, so we've tried to be slightly money saving. I need to get into the habit of packing lunches for days out. I've never really been a fan of pack lunches and at the moment even getting out the front door before 9 sometimes feels like a mammoth task so I've been lazy. However I'm sure the kids would love a good picnic when the weather is nice. I've just got to find something to make that will inspire me!

Weaning is going well. The baby is loving trying food. I need to start doing some finger food as she's getting really frustrated when she sees us eating. She has been appreciative of my purees even if I haven't always blended them that well. I suppose she'll have to get used to lumps at some point anyway!
  • becky170
    Options
    We had a lovely staycation and managed not to spend a fortune. I think the highlight of the week was taking both kids swimming as our baby hadn't been before However we're now at Legoland so I think our going out budget for the month is blown :) you only live once, and the kids are only young once, so we're making the most of it. Hoping to go minifigure hunting later as my son keeps asking for figures to go with his Lego set and the only figures we have are a bride and groom from our wedding cake topper!
  • becky170
    Options
    Our Legoland trip was great fun. We splashed out and stayed at the Legoland hotel (booked in advance when there was a kids go free and your second day free offer on) and my son loved the themed room. As it was off peak we didn't have to queue for my rides which is always handy when your child doesn't really get the concept of having to queue. We were lucky with the weather to. The food in the park was expensive and the usual unhealthy fayre.

We had planned on getting breakfast on the way to the park but my son woke up so grumpy when we pulled into the services we didn't bother. The baby cried most of the way home so we ended up having to stop for coffee to calm her down (it didn't work as she started crying as soon as we got back in the car...doh!). Pre-children I don't think we ever had to use a parking bay at the side of the road, but nowadays it feels like we are doing a parking bay tour of britian as it's either DC1 escaping from the straps on his car seat or DC2 crying her little heart out. I'm not looking forward to the 4hr drive when we go on holiday. DH wants to go and visit his parents later this year and that's nearly 8hrs away and to be honest when baby was crying her heart out this time I nearly said to him that I couldn't face it. The train journey is 8hrs so I can't really see that being a better option. We could fly instead but then we are stuck without any transport at the in-laws house and as they don't have any toys etc the kids get bored quickly. Oh well we've got a couple of months to sort something out
  • becky170
    edited 26 March 2019 at 6:57AM
    Options
    Yeah I've just sold my first item ever on Facebook! I've got loads of baby clothes to sell so I'm slowly making a start on that (otherwise our house is quickly going to start looking like something off one of these help me clean my house shows). I especially need to get rid of summer stuff whilst people are thinking about that. Last year I gave eBay a go after years of not selling anything on there and after eBay fees and PayPal fees I came away with hardly anything so trying to avoid eBay if possible. Does anyone else recommend any other selling platforms?

Today's payday so I checked our finances yesterday and whilst we did slightly overspend on the food and going out budget there were no massive issues and we do have a surplus this month overall :) So I've overpayed another £24 to the mortgage (baby steps!) and left the rest of the surplus to go toward the car insurance which is due next month. I'm hoping that is the last of the big bills for a while, but DHs car is also due it's MOT so who knows!
  • kelpie35
    kelpie35 Posts: 1,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You could try Gumtree it is a free site
  • becky170
    Options
    Thanks Kelpie35 I'd completely forgotten about Gumtree!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure