16 year old son starting his army training help!

My 16 year old son starts his army training in 2 weeks ,over 700 miles :eek: from home.
Has anybody got any tips for him or any ideas what may be handy for him to take with him apart from the list the army gave him? Any tips would help.
They said take about £50 in money any ideas if this is enough?
I think I'm worrying because he will be so far from home. I won't be taking him to the camp like some of the other families of new starters.
Should he take his possesions in a suitcase of a large holdall does it matter?

Thought it would help if I added that he is going to Winchester
lots of small steps
will get you a long way
bsc 140

Comments

• cheepskate_2
    cheepskate_2 Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi

Our son joined the RAF just under 9 months ago.

Don't worry he will be fine, our son made his own way there, he felt ok about it, it was me that worried.
    I would give himt he £50.00 but take his bank details incase he needs any more, it can be put in the same day as he can take it out , if you do it over the counter

From what i can remember our son had to buy an iron and iron board, and we just put extra into his account .

Dont think there was anything else they needed . Holdall or case any really , they keep it in a large locker once they are there and only use it on leave .

What i would suggest is make sure he has plenty money in his phone, as they do get lonely while they adjust and it is good at the beginning to be able to talk to friends / family

Hope it all goes well
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    good for him = and good luck to him. I know he is only a bairn but i bet you are really proud of him.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • downs523
    downs523 Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    get a hair cut, he will have to get one there and the babrbers on camps arnt very good. he will need a decent iron, not a cheap one as he will be using it near enough every day. ironing board would help too but not for transport getting there. when i joined we got paid cash weekly for the first month so he should be ok with cash. apart from that if hes got everythng on the kit list he should be fine.

forgot to say, remember your phone charger lol
  • Hi, I hope I can offer some calming advice.

I'm 23 now, and have completed a few years service. My younger brother alex, also 16, is just about to start training aswell.

As hard as this must be to hear from a parents point of view, try and relax as much as possible. The kit list will give him virtually everything he needs, and anything else they need will be given to them, or they'l all go off on little jollies down to the shops together to get it.

If they have said £50 is all thats needed I imagine that will be fine, thats just going to be pocket money after all. In the army, especially when your young, you just dont need money in the same way as real life. Its just for a few coke's in the bar etc. Until they get access to their first pay.

I'd recommend a holdall for his things, that way it can fold away nicely under his bed or in his wardrobe, and it probably a bit easier to carry.

It must be hard and strange thinking of him being so far away. But try to be consolidated by knowing he willl be really well looked after by his corporals and sergeants and most of all by the best mates he'll ever have.
  • downs523
    downs523 Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    what training regiment is he going to?
  • loulou88
    loulou88 Posts: 233 Forumite
    a heavy steam iron is on his list to take with him.
    I have set up phone calls with vodaphone. I just pay £7 a month. He can ring me ( his mum) his brother his sister his girlfeind and one of his friends for FREE so I wont have to worry too much but i'll put some credit on his phone. Thanks I had forgot about that thanks
    lots of small steps
    will get you a long way
    bsc 140
  • Cat695
    Cat695 Posts: 3,647 Forumite
    And Loulou Don't worry about him ok! he will be in good hands

He will be well looked after, fed very well (though very little sleep for a few weeks) i can put a bet on him ringing up saying he wants to come home, so make sure he sticks it out (all recruits find the change hard to adapt to at first) but after a few weeks when he gets into the routine he will start to love it.......then i can bet he will be ringing you up about the weapon firing he's done and having to go into the gas chamber (all fun stuff)

You should be proud of your son for doing this as he is about to embark on a potentially exciting change in his life that will see him doing things most people only dream about and the best bit getting paid to do it!!!
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have failed to plan properly

I've only ever been wrong once! and that was when I thought I was wrong but I was right
  • Sparky29
    Sparky29 Posts: 285 Forumite
    Fifty pounds is enough. I know it sounds stupid but as he is only 16 he needs to open a bank account with a cashpoint card and take it with him. On every training camp there will be a cashpoint and a shop (Spar) selling everything he will possibly need so you don't have to send him away with a 6 months supply of toothpaste and soap etc.
  • I take it from the details you've given that he is off to AFC (Harrogate) and, if you haven't received some form of joining instruction, then you will so shortly. I was on the permanent staff there a few years ago but things haven't changed hugely as far as I'm aware.

You will also be invited to attend a briefing when you drop him off and I really recommend that you go if you can. I know that travelling 700 miles is not so easy but it's a great chance to meet his instructors, see the facilities etc and you can confirm how much he needs until you can see him again at parent's day some four weeks later or so. You will also be given the platoon commander's phone number so you can keep in touch if your son causes you any concern during his training.

Generally, the lads only call when they are sad and are generally back to themselves again a few minutes after the call. So if you do get a string of unhappy calls or nothing at all, feel free to call the staff to ensure that he is okay. This is quite normal and wont have any affect on how he is treated by the staff - in fact they really appreciate parents who see themselves as part of the training team; providing extra support during the tough days and not taking everything the lads say at face value.

Don't worry with regards to suitcase v holdall, he will be issued with military versions quite soon after arriving and the civilian version is generally used for items that can't go in his locker.

Harrogate is a great site and filled with some of the best instructors the Army has to offer - I hope that he, and you, enjoy his time there.

Kind regards,

J
  • loulou88
    loulou88 Posts: 233 Forumite
    good for him = and good luck to him. I know he is only a bairn but i bet you are really proud of him.
    yes i'm so proud he seems all grown up but still my little boy.
    lots of small steps
    will get you a long way
    bsc 140
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills