What % do you pay?

Options

Comments

• shangaijimmy
    Options
    23% me into DC via salary sacrifice
    A whopping 3% by employer

I also contribute 10% to S&S ISA, with the intention of this potentially allowing me to finish a couple of yrs earlier and delay pension. Or it may well pay for the pre retirement house jobs!!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • Gadfium
    Gadfium Posts: 763 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Turned 50 a couple of months ago.
    I have 19 years in a DB pension scheme which has been closed.
    I now put 25% into a DC that started mid 2019 via SS, employer puts in 13% (though this will drop to12% in a couple of years).
    Currently about £115K in DC pension pot. I'm aiming to get that to £300K in the next 5 years (give or take).
  • Greta_Sharbo
    Options
    Just about to start a new job (tomorrow) so will be 7.5% employer and around 10% me. Got another 6% or so going into other long term savings. I was a late starter to pensions so playing catch up.
  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 3,614 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Currently 5.45% employee contribution into CS Alpha (DB) plus 27.1% employer contribution (I know that figure is not really for my benefit), and I pay 69% into my SIPP. Overall contributions ~75% of pensionable salary. I started late so have some catching up to do!
  • katkatmachine
    Options
    I am so jealous. Most of you guys have very generous employers. Mine only pays the minimum which is 3% and my contribution is 5%. I have LISA though where I put £100 a month. I just turned 30 last month, I only started contributing in my pension last year (just moved here in the UK last 2017), so im in just my 2nd year putting money for my retirement. I don’t think I will be able to increase my contribution soon because we have to pay now mortgage if everything goes well with house purchase. :(
  • randompenitent
    randompenitent Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 November 2019 at 10:13PM
    Options
    Employer 9.17%
    Me: 17%

Employer pays 8%, then adds a portion of the employer NI contributions for salary sacrifice beyond that number. Pretty generous, but it's still a DC rather than a DB scheme.
  • PParka
    PParka Posts: 262 Forumite
    Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Employer 8% and I pay 42%.
    Both via salary sacrifice, but employer keeps all of their NI savings :(

Fairly high contribution as I’m determined to retire at 55 (if I want to)
  • Anonymous101
    Options
    PParka wrote: »
    Employer 8% and I pay 42%.
    Both via salary sacrifice, but employer keeps all of their NI savings :(

Fairly high contribution as I’m determined to retire at 55 (if I want to)

I'm paying in a large % also with the view of filling the pension well before I can have access to it. Depending on your age you just need to be careful that all your net worth isn't tied up in your pension as I'd bank on the access to pension age going up in the next few years.

I've tried to strike a balance between the efficiencies of saving into a pension with the accessibility of an ISA. All with the view of retiring early..... I call it the "Sunlife under 50 plan"!
  • devildolly
    Options
    Age 35
    Employer 8% (goes up to 12% when I hit 45), me 4%, but I pay AVC to bring it up to 18%.

I try to pay in half my age as a percentage. Have done this since age 21.

My husband is 12 years older (and likely to retire age 55) so I need to accelerate my savings so I can retire early and spend some good retirement years together. Childcare costs prevent any further savings unfortunately.
  • jimi_man
    jimi_man Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I paid 11% for about 25 years and then 13% or so for the last 5. It was a final salary public sector pension so I don’t know what the employer contribution was, but it paid out a 2/3 pension when I left, so I imagine fairly substantial.

I then paid 40% into a DC pension for three years (agency contractor so no employer contribution). However it was by salary sacrifice so I did benefit from saving 40% tax, 12% Nat Insurance and 13.8% Employer Nat Insurance.

Currently paying 5.45% into CS Alpha (plus a further 3.4% for early payment) with the employer contribution set at a notional 20 something %, which obviously means very little.

Still paying into DC pension though not as much, and not salary sacrifice so only 40% tax savings.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure