MSE News: Budget 2015: Annual self-assessment tax return to be scrapped in its curren

The annual self-assessment tax return is to be scrapped and replaced with a 'digital tax account' from early next year...
Read the full story:

Budget 2015: Annual self-assessment tax return to be scrapped in its current form

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• chrismac1
    chrismac1 Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    It's a great vision statement and a major about turn from the "make 'em fill a return and fine them if they are late or muck it up" approach we've had over the past 10 years.

With the mess that is RTI and the likely car crash in progress that is Auto Enrolment, this looks like being a more ambitious project than either of these. Given that currently some clients have to give exactly the same information to the following three bodies:
    HMRC SA
    HMRC tax credits
    The Student Loan Company

I would need to see a vastly improved setup within HMRC in terms of data processing to be in any way confident that it will be a successful project. In my view HMRC needs more staff not less unless there is a major and radical change in the approach of management of that organisation. The budget implies double the rate of cuts within HMRC in the next 5 years compared to those we've seen in the last 5.

So a great vision but from where we stand now it would be a great muck-up.
    Hideous Muddles from Right Charlies
  • Why don't I believe that the new system will be better?

Well, there are no details about how it will work or how it will be implemented.
    1. Is it really an end to the 31st January tax cut off or else big fines are issued?
    2. How much will this new system cost to implement successfully?
    3. Can the outside IT contractors that the HMRC use actually write a working system first time and to the time and budget constraints?
    4. How much money is to be spent on it and will it reduce costs?
    5. What information is to be auto filled and does the HMRC plan new powers to get more information about you so that they can fill the gaps?
    6. Is the current system really that bad if the only change is that the HMRC plug in your PAYE details from your P60?
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    presumably the principle that the tax payer is responsible in law for paying the correct tax will still apply?

so it will be the taxpayers' responsibility to correct any mistakes the HMRC make

it strange how many simplification of the tax system haven't made the system simple.
  • kevshed
    kevshed Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i got an email from TaxCalc yesterday - stating that the devil is in the detail... the systems will run in parallel and the tax return system will be around till 2020... i guess for many , if HMRC can get a working IT system in place(HUGE ASSUMPTION) it may help. Frankly, i don't care - it takes me a little time to do the return (I do use TaxCalc) and its pretty painless.... no big deal.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Given that the latest Government IT fiasco for a Farmers EU Subsidy Payment scheme has just flopped http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31976230 , I only await with joy this new system.
  • Tommaso46
    Tommaso46 Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 April 2015 at 4:02PM
    HMRC usually sends me a paper tax return form by about 10 April. This year I've received nothing so far. Why?
  • chrismale
    chrismale Posts: 30 Forumite
    HMRC are sending out letters saying how to file online and if you want to do a paper return you are supposed to download the self assessment forms and guidance and PRINT THEM YOURSELF! This is totally unreasonable. I did not know there was a law that we all had to have printers nowadays.
  • Tommaso46
    Tommaso46 Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 April 2015 at 5:40PM
    chrismale wrote: »
    HMRC are sending out letters saying how to file online and if you want to do a paper return you are supposed to download the self assessment forms and guidance and PRINT THEM YOURSELF! This is totally unreasonable. I did not know there was a law that we all had to have printers nowadays.

I see. Thanks for the info. I'll look for the letter you mentioned. And these pages are double-sided too! Printing should be fun.

I've been doing the paper return for years, and my whole book-keeping routine is built around it so I don't feel like changing to this newfangled web-based thingy, which will probably crash or go wrong when everyone logs on. Anyone up for a bet that all your tax return info will get lost?
  • Spidernick
    Spidernick Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    To my mind paper-filing your tax return is like renewing your VED at the Post Office and I cannot understand why anyone would choose to put themselves through it unless they really had to do so (i.e. no internet access). I cannot think of any benefits in so doing, only negatives.

Working in tax and having experienced many, many tax returns getting 'lost in the post' or sent from the other side of the planet too late to meet the filing deadline, e-filing is an absolute godsend. Embrace it!
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure