PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Comments

• Also hoping for Easter in the new house - offer accepted on 29th, waiting for memo of sale currently. Solicitor, broker and surveyor all chomping at the bit on our side, I just hope the vendors are half as keen.
    Mortgage Apr 18 £417,894 BTL Mar 18 £162,857
    Mortgage now -- £350,085 BTL now --- £162,668
  • mailmannz
    mailmannz Posts: 311 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 3 January 2018 at 11:19AM
    Heard from the solicitors on the 22nd of December that the vendors wanted to exchange contracts and complete early January.

Problem is we are stuck to rental periods for notice and can't give notice until mid January for a mid Feb move out date. While Im happy to have my mortgage and rent overlap by a week I don't want to be paying a full month of rent AND mortgage at the same time. Plus I don't want to be left at the mercy of the landlord on the off chance they find someone to move in if we decide to move out in January!

So solicitor will start working on new dates this week with the other side.

Regards

Mailman
  • Happy new year everyone! We're hoping for an exchange at the end of the month (fingers crossed) I'm waiting impatiently for next door to sort their surveyor to visit this week as otherwise I'm back in work and it gets awkward. I emailed their solicitors to push yesterday. It's not for mortgage purposes as they're cash buyers (kind of).

SkateAlexia we also found our vendor's house was over valued by 2.5k and when I told the EA there was a pause, she asked for the valuation page to be sent to her and within a few hours they'd agreed to reduce the price. No argument! Hope you have a similar result!
  • mailmannz wrote: »
    Heard from the solicitors on the 22nd of December that the vendors wanted to exchange contracts and complete early January.

Problem is we are stuck to rental periods for notice and can't give notice until mid January for a mid Feb move out date. While Im happy to have my mortgage and rent overlap by a week I don't want to be paying a full month of rent AND mortgage at the same time. Plus I don't want to be left at the mercy of the landlord on the off chance they find someone to move in if we decide to move out in January!

So solicitor will start working on new dates this week with the other side.

Regards

Mailman

We're in a similar position, can only give notice on 1st of the month so we need to exchange before 1st Feb, then leave a couple of weeks before completion so that we're only overlapping by 2 weeks or so. Still waiting to here back if the Vendors Solicitors are happy with this timescale.
  • Just been told today that our buyer is ready to move !!!!!!

We have one outstanding enquiry regarding our sale and now waiting on the people getting back to us on the house we are buying and then we should be hopefully ready to move by the end of the month ...

We have asked if we can have a two week gap inbetween exchange and completion so we can rewire the property we are buying which they have agreed to just hope the rest of the chain are okay with that !

Yippeeeeeee
  • Gawatate
    Gawatate Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Happy New Year everyone. So glad that those dead 2 weeks are over . Woke up to a notification from solicitor saying that we are ready to exchange and to get deposit money to him so just waiting around to hear where everyone else in the chain is in terms of dates . We have 12th of Jan as the desired completion date which the whole chain is in agreement with but i will only start celebrating once we have exchanged. no hurry to pack yet, we will have 2 houses for a month!
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 January 2018 at 5:59PM
    Happy New Year everyone :D

Can't believe it's actually happened, but we have today exchanged contracts on our sale.......yay :j:j:j

Completion date 26th Jan......which is fab, if only we had somewhere to go, lol!

Yesterday was best and finals day for the house we're hoping to buy - that's only ten minutes drive from the sea!

The deadline was 4pm and just before 5pm we heard that two potential buyers had dropped out with us being in with a better chance of the remaining parties if we were immediately proceedable. We were therefore even more keen that exchange on our sale should happen today ;)

After a tense morning awaiting news on our exchange, we got the call at 2pm, closely followed by us calling the EA marketing the house we want to secure, them calling our EA to confirm our status as exchanged etc etc.

Ultimately our offer was accepted, so yay again :j:j:j

Timeline on our sale -

13th October - offer accepted
    14th November - mortgage valuation carried out
    20th November - various reports - including structural - requested by our buyers' lender
    8th December - all reports submitted
    21st December - buyers receive mortgage offer
    3rd January - exchanged!

No chain as our buyers are not selling their current property.......

We are cash buyers - once sale has gone through - so no issues with lenders etc for us thankfully!

GL to everyone else that's still waiting.....hopefully now everyone is back at work things are starting to move in the right direction!
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • RXT156
    RXT156 Posts: 46 Forumite
    Hellooooo all! I’ve been quiet for a while as nothing was happening but after several calls to solicitors today I found out that my solicitor has gone on holiday for a week...!! But it turns out that the man who is looking after the files for the week has actually returned one of my phone calls (this has never happened before, I’ve always had to chase them) and has proved himself more in a two minute phone call than my solicitor has done in 10 weeks!
    Offer accepted 10th October. All searches/paperwork etc begins. Phones today for an update and the helpful stand-in solicitor has told me that I am awaiting one piece paperwork that was missing. Once that is back we can set completion dates :j yipeee!
  • black_cat
    black_cat Posts: 703 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    We've exchanged! We move next week :j
    Can't tell you how relieved I am.
    Good luck those still in the process.
  • We're first time buyers and waiting (not particularly patiently) is frustrating. In terms of what stage we are at, our survey and the lender's valuation is being down at the end of this week and the start of next. We have the added spice that we are about to be served notice (two months) on our house rental which gives us a deadline.

The major sticking point is that the loft extension (to make a third bedroom with en-suite) does not have building regulations certification. The vendor applied for these retrospectively ('Regularisation') at the end of November so we are now awaiting the outcome of that. Without certification, the house is effectively a two-bedroom with luxury storage. Fingers crossed that this does not torpedo the mortgage offer. The other complication is that the solicitor's environmental search suggested that there is a moderate risk of surface water flooding so I hope that our survey sheds light on that.

On the plus side, the vendors have already moved out and left the area and the Estate Agent is optimistic that we could complete by the middle of February...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback