We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 8 August 2018 at 7:03AM
    Don't worry Lucielle, they'll be back.....;) I'm having trouble keeping mine away! :rotfl:DD1 and family leave today after a month, which was only a week... :o, and DD2 is back at the weekend, en-route to the British Fireworks Championship in Plymouth.

DD2 has finally got herself a proper job again after a 6 months working anti-social hours in a family-related fish & chip shop. That enabled her to build a new portfolio of art works, which she'll be adding-to and eventually selling.... ..maybe. She reckons her 'thing' is unique in the art world, but has had to scale it down since uni days, as not everyone has the Rawlplugs for a 40kg lump on their wall!:rotfl:

She's still working anti-social hours; this time on displays, so there's time-out for art in the afternoons. Best of all, 10 mins from home in the low traffic hours, which is worth a lot in Bristol! ;)

Cool here this am, a bit of rain yesterday and more on the way, but nothing situation-changing for the farmers...:(

Feeling poorly does seem such a huge waste of time when there's so much to do, choille. Remember the late winter and earlt spring here too well! Hope it's mending and that you get respite via social services for the confused neighbour.
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Dave I have a sore throat from all the 'heated' exchanges with social services - The SS. Although I do have health issues at the moment due to bad reaction to the new medication I was on.
    Scotland's care system is on its knees as is the NHS. Loads of big wigs with very fancy titles always 'in meetings' and no help for those who desperately need it.
    The work here is progressing on the house upstairs with a great joiner coming in & working like a Trojan in quite a difficult space - although it is all starting to look like a house up there now. Moved loads of stuff down here so downstairs is like a mine field/bomb site. I must get myself weaned off charity shops.
    We are having loads of cupboards - in fact it's rooms off cupboards! I will have one to sit in with no handle on the inside according to the 'boss'.
  • Davesnave
    choille wrote: »
    Dave I have a sore throat from all the 'heated' exchanges with social services
    Oh, sorry, I don't do the inferential comprehension too well in the mornings! :o

It'll be like the problems of the kids next door, or Horse Woman; a booger to resolve in any meaningful way, especially as you are so 'handy.'

I'm still hopeful for the kids. Heard the younger one telling her Dad she'd been selected to go on a special camping week for children of carers a few weeks back. Mind you, he sounded as happy to hear that as if he'd been told there was a huge wart on the back of his head.....:(
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,730 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Heard from DD2 she's landed and met her new employers and they seem to have hit it off. Early days but hope it continues.

Choille do you know how the crofting system works?

L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    hi all...

lucielle.. your kids are having adventures whilst working their butts off it seems.. life before commitments is short so great they are getting some great experiences early on ..

choille ... read up on "it" and sound off quoting some regs and they often think twice before dismissing you ?

dafty? ... hope the striped visitors have bu**ared oft now .. and that your ribs are on the mend.

dave.. you shouldn't live in such a fab spot ! visitors obviously think so.... !!

well here, I moved all the horses to the farm field yesterday ... all I do is put storm on a leader and set off with the "herd" trundling along behind.. have to go through 1 field, then the lake field to get to farm field... sheep decided NO . I got horses in and watched as they charged round quite happy in the new residence .. did a head count .. 10 ? wheres no 11 ? set off trekking the fields and no sign ...aaargh ! panic setting in I did tell myself of all the ponies to steal, pippins fat Shetland torso was not high on my list ! needless to say I found him fast asleep under a tree in the furthest corner of the field... woke him up and he panicked then cos no other ponies in sight ! away he went at 90mph [I am by now kernackered from trekking the foelds ! ] I caught up, let him in , he said hi to the others then .... went to sleep !

we have had threats of rain but only had 2 mere sprinkles over the last few weeks . its cooler but still zip on the wet front ...

im thinking of going to the dorset steam fayre this year but need to do 2 days and not sure my back will cope with tent'ing it ?

the black swans and ducks have settled in like they have always been here. the slight diversion of the trickling stream alongside the fence seems to have helped top the lake up quite a bit ! we are going to divert it from the top when the rains start [when] and divert it out of lake at the bottom via a dam to continue its course ..

well, all I seem to be doing is working at the moment . never been so busy ! typical when im flaking in this heat...
  • choille
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Oh, sorry, I don't do the inferential comprehension too well in the mornings! :o

It'll be like the problems of the kids next door, or Horse Woman; a booger to resolve in any meaningful way, especially as you are so 'handy.'

I'm still hopeful for the kids. Heard the younger one telling her Dad she'd been selected to go on a special camping week for children of carers a few weeks back. Mind you, he sounded as happy to hear that as if he'd been told there was a huge wart on the back of his head.....:(

It's really quite scary re SS as the SS & NHS has just been joined together re budgets & there are all sorts of infighting & buck passing going on & no care on the ground. It's like desperation.

I'm shocked at what has seemingly been privatised by the back door & there is no real help - no rolling up of sleeves & doing the practical stuff just gadgets that are confusing and they want direct debits per month for their use/services.
    There are no home carers in this locality as they pay washers & don't pay travel time. Most decent carers end up getting paid for 1/2 hour & end up being there or doing stuff for about four hours as that is what's needed. It's dreadful.
    I was told of an elderly person being in a hospital bed for 7 months as there has been no care package put in place to allow her to go home.
  • choille
    Hi Alfie - the black swans look fab & you sound busy busy as usual. Glad our heat has reduced as it's quite exhausting.
    Quoting legislation as some of these dragons in SS would bear no fruit as these people are without any souls.

Lucielle do get in touch re crofting stuff. Pleased the new emplyres sound good eggs.
  • Davesnave
    edited 8 August 2018 at 10:49PM
    Just chilling out now after saying goodbye to our visitors. However, took them on a mystery tour first, ending at a spot the tourists don't find.....;)

P1020245.jpg

Still just about warm enough for a paddle and a poke around with a net. It rained a little as we left to go our seperate ways.
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,730 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Choille I'll pm you

Alfie yes its great that they're off doing things but forget about little old me breaking my heart. It does mean we've done a good job and they've got the confidence to do it.

I was a bit worried about DD2 in Dubai as she's dyslexic but she coped. She did once go in a restaurant and ask for a rabi steak (ribeye) we've never let her forget that one!
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    RAIN :j :beer: :T :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts