PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Testing boiler as part of purchase

Comments

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Regarding the boiler - I think I'd contact a local gas/heating engineer and ask him to service the boiler, and give me a call to let me know what condition it's in. (I'd expect to pay between £60 and £100).

For example...
    - Is it safe!!!
    - Does it seem to be working OK?
    - Does anything look like it'll need replacing soon?
    - If so, what type of cost?
    - How long does that type of boiler tend to last? / How much life is left in it?

(I find that lots of independent heating engineers are really happy to talk at great length and in great detail about a boiler they're servicing - if they can find somebody to listen!)

Hopefully, it will give you a bit of an idea. But if the boiler breaks down the day after you move in, realistically you won't have any claim against the heating engineer.
  • mangog
    mangog Posts: 145 Forumite
    Thanks Edddy. That's what I was hoping for. So far of the 3 local engineers I contacted one hasn't replied, one said they won't do it unless the current owners request it, and the third keeps going round in circles - after asking what appliances are in the house he replied to my list by telling me I needed exactly what I'd asked for in the first place (a boiler service), but didn't give a quote, timescale or any information on arranging it (all of which I asked for in my original query) so I'm leaning towards not bothering at all...
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I got a gas safety check done, £70. As someone else said, it's similar to what's done if you let a property. I was planning to let a room to a lodger anyway, so thought I could get it done and if anything wasn't right (e.g., cooker not working), negotiate a reasonable reduction. An old couple had lived there and passed away and the seller wasn't sure whether appliances worked, etc., so it seemed prudent.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    mangog wrote: »
    Thanks Edddy. That's what I was hoping for. So far of the 3 local engineers I contacted one hasn't replied, one said they won't do it unless the current owners request it, and the third keeps going round in circles - after asking what appliances are in the house he replied to my list by telling me I needed exactly what I'd asked for in the first place (a boiler service), but didn't give a quote, timescale or any information on arranging it (all of which I asked for in my original query) so I'm leaning towards not bothering at all...

I think you must be confusing them in some way. This kind of stuff has always worked fine for me.

I would just say "Can you do a boiler service in a house I'm buying please? And give me some verbal feedback on the condition of the boiler."

Obviously, you'll need the seller's agreement first. And it might be a bit fiddly finding a time that suits both the engineer and the seller, and finding a way of paying the engineer as you won't be there.

Or maybe you can agree with the seller that you will be there, if you want.
  • mangog
    Thanks Edddy but that's almost exactly what I asked them:

"We're in the process of buying a house, and we were hoping to get an engineer to come out and inspect/service the boiler to check there are no issues with it before we complete the sale. The sellers haven't had it serviced or inspected since 2015 so we just want to make sure there isn't anything imminent that we need them to get sorted!before we go ahead with the purchase."

I think that's quite clear...
  • PhilE
    PhilE Posts: 566 Forumite
    mangog wrote: »
    Thanks Browntoa. It was last serviced in 2015 so it's been a little while. We have the paperwork for that and the installation (CORGI certificate). I'll check the make and do some research!

It hasn't been serviced for a few years and is 10 years old. You could ask them to give it a a service and reflect that in the price, or do one yourself. Its reasonable considering the gae of the boiler, and the fact that it hasn't been serviced.

House I bought also had a boiler which was about 10 years sold and hadn't been serviced, its working to this day.

They have to declare any issues with the heating/hot water.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Can you ask the sellers to arrange it and you will pay? I can quite understand the plumbers refusing to go to a house, not owned by you, and doing some work. They have no proof you are looking at buying it, they can't enter a house without the house owners knowledge and permission.
  • mangog
    Hi comeandgo - I see your point, but obviously it would be arranged through the Estate Agent and the vendors would have to let them in as I don't have access to the house yet. I have spoken to the EA and they said they would facilitate it. I'm not suggesting we break in and do work on their boiler without consent!
  • mangog
    Thanks PhilE, that's useful to know. I'm wondering if it would be easier to just have it serviced once we've moved in at this rate, and take the gamble...
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A gas safety check doesn't service the boiler and doesbt tell you if it's likely to need work doing in the future. It just determines whether the gas appliances are safe at that time. Great if that's what you want but it doesn't sound like it is.

Getting the boiler checked is fine but what will you do if the engineer finds a problem? Will you ask to reduce the selling price, will the owners refuse or will this mean you need a new mortgage offer? Will you pull out or will you buy anyway? Most people take the risk as they realise that the result of any service will not change anything and therefore wait until they mice in to get things checked.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport