PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Comments

• GreyQueen wrote: »
    :j:j:j Ohh! Excited! Have pencilled in Thirsk and now Hexham, am up in that part of the world for less than a week but am sure can fit some chazzering around museums and The Wall.

Bit concerned that Corbridge is upmarket, was looking to make that my place for re-provisioning with groceries mid-week, does it have cheap supermarkets?

* Rubs hands gleefully at thought of outdoorsy clothing *

:o Nothing to report in terms of chazzering apart from a bundle of 8ft bamboo poles, about 2 dozen for a fiver. For the runner beans. Apart from that, and just under £2's worth of notebooks, I have bought nothing chazzer-ish this month.

Shockingly lax of me, but I've been either at work/ at the allotment/ asleep, which has inhibited my shopping opportunites. Must. Do. Better.

Firstly, apologies to everybody for not introducing myself, it was a case of posting before I forgot to reply before I headed out the door!

Corbridge doesn't really have any barginous shops, interesting ones for sure, but it tends to have more "artisan " shops with prices you would expect to find in such establishments :eek:

Hexham on the other hand, has an Aldi, Tesco and Waitrose ( if you're feeling posh :wink:) very close together for staples, a B&M next door to M&S ( opposite the Bus station) and a Poundland as well as independent shops and some damn fine eateries. At the top of the High Street is Tynedale Hospice Chazzer, good for a rummage and prices are the same for each group of clothing,e.g all trousers £3, all skirts £2.50 ( not sure of the actual prices BTW, but close )Check out the menswear upstairs as decent jackets, waterproof trousers are often in there, great if like me you are talked than average :):)
    Across the road is the Hospice bookshop, well worth a browse. Heading back down the hill towards the town centre you will find the RSPCA, Oxfam, Oxfam bookshop , keep straight ahead and there is the Cancer Research shop in Priestpopple ( love that name !)

Walking from the market square past the Abbey, take a left that brings you by Mrs.Miggins pie shop (really! And a good eatery !) Turn a short right then left, and you will find the Relate shop. Coming out of Relate, then left and left again down a cobbled lane, then right and it brings you out in to Fore Street, home of Scope.
    From Scope, then left back in to the Market Place ,cross over by the cross, towards the jeweller on the corner, into Market Street. There is the Save the Children shop.
    Disclaimer: I do not work for Hexham Tourist Information Board (Chazzer and Bargains Dept):rotfl:
    If you do go in to Hexham Abbey, take a look in to the Undercroft, where the Canny builders recycled bits of Roman Corbridge fort , including grave markers, and the Frith Stool where a person could claim Sanctuary.

There's loads to see up here On The Wall, ( sadly, no Jon Snow:( ) and I hope you have a fantastic time :D
    Lassie
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    suki1964 wrote: »
    A Hobbs Dress for £12

Im over the moon, its perfect for a wedding I have coming up :)

Oooh I have Hobbs envy!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    A Hobbs Dress for £12

Im over the moon, its perfect for a wedding I have coming up :)
    Some people might think that's expensive - but when you look at the brand and note that it's suitable for a wedding, I for one would agree that you've got a bargain. :T

Well, it was a coat day for me yesterday.
    Last week I was having a whinge about one of our 3 local Hospice shops and their pricing.
    Pollycat wrote: »
    <snip>

This same shop has a BNWT feather & down jacket by Crew Clothing priced at £40. Seems expensive to me but I've not checked the website yet.

ETA:
    they have the identical jacket on the website for £99.
    Am I mean to think £40 in a charity shop is too expensive?
    Today is the 3rd week the jacket has been there.
    So - yesterday, the above jacket was £20.00.
    It fitted, is very lightweight, and is 90% down, 10% feather.
    So I splurged.

And then I found a Windsmoor 100% virgin wool coat in a different charity shop.
    It's just to the bottom of my knee and a very smart style in black and winter white, sort-of dogs-tooth check with bigger hounds-tooth check bits and an overlying swirly flower in black.
    I know, it does sound hideous but it's really lovely.
    The pattern matching (:hello: Miro ;)) is perfect.
    It has a front zip so the line is very smooth. The zip is double ended.
    It has a small stand-up collar and a back split.
    It's very fitted, and makes me look slim. :j

It's in great condition inside and out.
    £8.00.
    I think it would have maybe been £150 new...?

So my mission today is to choose 2 coats or jackets to make room for my new purchases. :(
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Polly - the coat sounds lovely, something I would go for ( especially as the patterns match lol!)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Some people might think that's expensive - but when you look at the brand and note that it's suitable for a wedding, I for one would agree that you've got a bargain. :T

(

Precisely Polly

I saw it and thought it was simply stunning, tried it on and just a tad too tight so put it back.

Went up the town, stopped for lunch and looked at the Hobbs website and theres not a dress there for less the £150 so I thought sod it, for £12 its worth the punt as I am already shedding the pounds so hot footed it back down and lifted it

It really is a beautiful dress and whilst I cant really breath in it at the moment, its so flattering. And if I cant shift the 1/2 stone required before September, I need shooting :)

Even DH was taken with it and cant believe it was a charity shop find

They did have the shoes and handbag as well, I might go back. I took a glance at the shoes and theres barely a mark on the soles so Im thinking it was originally a wedding outfit for someone else. I don't usually go for shoes from charity shops but like I say, barely a mark. Size 4 which may just be a bit too tight though but worth the trying on ( I wear between 4 and 5 depending on style)

Our charity shops are not cheap. Oh there are the odd ones for like the local cat and dog rescue that are, but their stuff is usually tat in the first place, full of washed out or stained primark quality. Its very rare that we find a good bargain although I trawl them all weekly.

Both my local towns have been really hit in the highstreet,all the big names are gone or are going, so charity shops really are the only places to buy clothes now

One of our largest, which is a Christian missionary charity ( surprise surprise ) is stupidly expensive, pricing up primark t shirts at £4 :eek:

Im going to visit family in a couple of weeks and whilst there hit their local charity shop. Last time I was there they had a whole section of bridal wear, complete outfits from hats to shoes and everything in-between.

Im always so jealous of the finds reported on here
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 April 2018 at 10:42AM

The pattern matching (:hello: Miro ;)) is perfect.

:j:j:j

The down jacket was obviously meant for you!!!

Yesterday in the BHF shop there was a beoootiful oyster coloured dress, looked very 'classy' with intricate seaming...obviously a 'wedding guest' dress and priced at £10, (no make spotted). Perfect size and length for me so I was sorely tempted even tho I do not have any weddings on the horizon. Then I noticed that the fancy binding around the neck at the back had pulled away leaving a small frayed hole. In retrospect I'm quite pleased to have found a reason to not buy it!
  • Pollycat
    Precisely Polly

I saw it and thought it was simply stunning, tried it on and just a tad too tight so put it back.

Went up the town, stopped for lunch and looked at the Hobbs website and theres not a dress there for less the £150 so I thought sod it, for £12 its worth the punt as I am already shedding the pounds so hot footed it back down and lifted it

It really is a beautiful dress and whilst I cant really breath in it at the moment, its so flattering. And if I cant shift the 1/2 stone required before September, I need shooting :)

Even DH was taken with it and cant believe it was a charity shop find

They did have the shoes and handbag as well, I might go back. I took a glance at the shoes and theres barely a mark on the soles so Im thinking it was originally a wedding outfit for someone else. I don't usually go for shoes from charity shops but like I say, barely a mark. Size 4 which may just be a bit too tight though but worth the trying on ( I wear between 4 and 5 depending on style)

Our charity shops are not cheap. Oh there are the odd ones for like the local cat and dog rescue that are, but their stuff is usually tat in the first place, full of washed out or stained primark quality. Its very rare that we find a good bargain although I trawl them all weekly.

Both my local towns have been really hit in the highstreet,all the big names are gone or are going, so charity shops really are the only places to buy clothes now

One of our largest, which is a Christian missionary charity ( surprise surprise ) is stupidly expensive, pricing up primark t shirts at £4 :eek:

Im going to visit family in a couple of weeks and whilst there hit their local charity shop. Last time I was there they had a whole section of bridal wear, complete outfits from hats to shoes and everything in-between.

Im always so jealous of the finds reported on here
    Shoes and handbags?
    And you're going to a wedding?
    Go back!
    Drop whatever you're doing and go back right now to see if they fit!
    ;)
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,151 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    A White Stuff longer length too for me today.

Also bought 2 CDs - REM and David Bowie.

DB was supposed to be a massive collection, 3 disks. Drove off and there was 1 disk that was supposed to be there, another random DB disk and the 3rd was the !!!8220;Best of hip hop!!!8221;!!
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Mir! wrote: »
    :j:j:j

The down jacket was obviously meant for you!!!

Yesterday in the BHF shop there was a beoootiful oyster coloured dress, looked very 'classy' with intricate seaming...obviously a 'wedding guest' dress and priced at £10, (no make spotted). Perfect size and length for me so I was sorely tempted even tho I do not have any weddings on the horizon. Then I noticed that the fancy binding around the neck at the back had pulled away leaving a small frayed hole. In retrospect I'm quite pleased to have found a reason to not buy it!

That's what I always hope for when I'm dithering over something I don't need! :rotfl:

I broke two of my own rules yesterday*, well three if you count the not needing it - I was drawn to a Primark Atmosphere lightweight shortish red zip-up padded jacket for £3.99. *I almost never buy Primark, and *I'm not sure about wearing red these days, but it fitted so well and weighs next to nothing, even though it isn't down-filled only some sort of nylon, and I though that for £3.99 it would be useful to add to my travelling collection. It is missing its nylon packaway stuff bag, and appears to only be £15 online, but hey I do actually like it :) .

I was away in Scotland for a short break, that turned out even shorter than planned as I dashed home today because the cat had a bad turn and OH was beside himself. Anyway the place I was staying didn't provide any shampoo or shower gel, so I went out looking for travel sized ones that didn't cost ridiculous shop prices like £1.25 for a tiny bottle. In BHF, which is also where I got the jacket, on the clearance shelf was one of those hotel sets but a quite posh one, for 74p. It had shampoo, shower gel, body lotion, soap and a shower cap, all unopened in an outer plastic case. Just what I wanted, well pleased :T .
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Pollycat
    Bogof_Babe wrote: »
    I was away in Scotland for a short break, that turned out even shorter than planned as I dashed home today because the cat had a bad turn and OH was beside himself. Anyway the place I was staying didn't provide any shampoo or shower gel, so I went out looking for travel sized ones that didn't cost ridiculous shop prices like £1.25 for a tiny bottle. In BHF, which is also where I got the jacket, on the clearance shelf was one of those hotel sets but a quite posh one, for 74p. It had shampoo, shower gel, body lotion, soap and a shower cap, all unopened in an outer plastic case. Just what I wanted, well pleased :T .
    Never mind the bargains.
    Never mind the fact that you managed to smell nice with clean, shiny hair.
    How is the cat?
    Hope he/she is OK. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family