PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting for new build to be built and complete

Options

Comments

• -pete-_2
    -pete-_2 Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    Sucks that you've had a bad experience fashionvictim, hopefully we may get a better experience with TW.

Quick update from us, first fix is done and they're starting the first load of plaster, the garden has a little bit more of a slope on it than we were expecting but it's nothing we can't live with.

One question of everyone if I may...
    What phase is your development on and do you feel that it is effecting the quality of service you receive? We're moving to a first phase estate and we have generally - *touch wood* - have had an OK experience so far. I'm not sure if they're trying to keep us happy so we can big them up to other potential buyers!
  • fashionvictim
    Options
    Just be realistic everyone you are buying a new build and if on a mass site like ours and not a one off build, then its not going to be perfection. It really should be for the cost of new builds.

I'm glad we have a new home in the end. For us this was best value as most 2nd hand homes needed a lot of work. We could borrow the money for a new build, but did not have the spare cash to do another project.

In terms of phase, I have no idea what phase ours is, but properties show being sold here for last 2-3 years and I believe another year to go. So guess as site is running very behind schedule could be another 2 years of building. I think smaller sites you might do better admire responsibility.
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    very true about size of site - we're on a small development of 34 and they are about about to move the sales team off site to the new site down the road of over 160 plots - the good news there is the labour is nearby for snag lists so we aren't worried.

We're still on target for the end of July as it sits now - the roof is on now so hopefully we see no more weather delays and they can crack on with what they need to do.
  • Derboy
    Derboy Posts: 168 Forumite
    Options
    Awaiting Habitation and NHBC inspections today before completing and getting the keys this afternoon hopefully!
  • MissusP_2
    MissusP_2 Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello all a quick question if I may. Has anyone ever had a developer put a house back on the market due to a chain collapsing? We reserved a plot in mid April, exchange deadline has passed but I know that's usual. Got our mortgage offer through yesterday and searches are underway. My concern is our buyers - if they were to pull out and we had to start from scratch would the developer (Barratts) wait for us to find another buyer? House is due to be ready September. I'm so stressed :(
  • visidigi
    Options
    MissusP wrote: »
    Hello all a quick question if I may. Has anyone ever had a developer put a house back on the market due to a chain collapsing? We reserved a plot in mid April, exchange deadline has passed but I know that's usual. Got our mortgage offer through yesterday and searches are underway. My concern is our buyers - if they were to pull out and we had to start from scratch would the developer (Barratts) wait for us to find another buyer? House is due to be ready September. I'm so stressed :(

They usually give you a little while to find another buyer - but there is a high risk of it being relisted if you don't resolve it quickly...
  • pinktortilla
    Options
    @VultureDodger we went with a smaller developer - Matthew Homes. This was purely down to the location of the build and the size of the development. The have so far (touch wood!) been quite good - the opposite of the reviews online.

Today we got to look at the ones further along, that have plasterboard up. Helped me massively as I struggle to visualise what the rooms will look like with metal frames instead of walls!

It's actually nice hearing that things won't be perfect (if that makes sense?). Means I can prepare myself for something that won't be completely perfect and then be surprised (hopefully!). So thank you for your insight @fashionvictim
    -pete- wrote: »
    One question of everyone if I may...
    What phase is your development on and do you feel that it is effecting the quality of service you receive? We're moving to a first phase estate and we have generally - *touch wood* - have had an OK experience so far. I'm not sure if they're trying to keep us happy so we can big them up to other potential buyers!

We are on the first phase and to be honest I don't think it has changed the service at all. Really it would be their after care that would get me to sell them to other potential buyers, so only time will tell if they are still as good at that end as they were selling the house in the first place! :A
    MissusP wrote: »

Don't want to stress you out any more, but this has happened to some friends twice in two months. The same buyer took their time in the first case and then decided to pull out after they'd put a deposit down for the second new build. The developer then put it back on the market for 5k more and it went within the week :mad:
    I hope you'll be ok though :)
  • Murray87
    Murray87 Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello All! Can I join you?

Can't quite believe I'm requesting to join this forum when last month I was posting on the site about getting a mortgage with historic adverse credit but here I am! Our broker has been amazing and managed to secure us a deal with previous bad credit and yesterday we were able to reserve our new home!

First time buyer so it's all very new but we're so excited! We actually had to choose our options on the same day as reserving as they needed to submit choices this week.

It's all gone so quickly and I'm not cure I can cope with the excitement until we move in, although it's already been pushed back 2 weeks when I went back in today so we're looking at a December move in.

Still very very early in the process but I'm hoping I'll be able to share this experience with many of you! And advice about the whole process would be greatly appreciated as and when issues arise, which I'm sure they will!
  • visidigi
    Options
    We got notifed of a delay of 2-4 weeks today to our build - having already moved in with family for 8 weeks - its now likely to be closer 12.

I am absolutely seething - we even called them n Friday gone and all was okay. Its not the house that wont be ready, its the work they need to do outside the house which means for health and safety we cant move in.

We're expecting some more freebies - but it looks like we're spending more time homeless than originally thought.

We're already struggling and we only moved out two weeks ago.
  • jhyt89
    jhyt89 Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    Derboy wrote: »
    That's good dgtazzman. I've had further compensation agreed today. Which has increased the figure by another two thirds. Which takes it to 2.5% of the purchase price as well as a number of freebies.

Fingers crossed for 10th of June. If they don't complete on that date we've decided to walk away. Need to draw the line somewhere.

hi have joined this post late but how long have you been delayed to receive comp?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure