DIY Project. Livingroom modernisation. *Lots of pics inside*

Options
Hi all

So I have been doing up my living room. We have a baby on the way (due date is first week of Dec) so the idea is to get this finished by then. I started this back in May :embarasse and been doing it up on weekends. Yes this may possibly be the slowest DIY project known to man and the missus isn't too pleased with the timings lol.

Anyway, it all started with these picture on pinterest as a reference:

18b2487d3bb88e430470af463dd20cc0.jpg

1eb92c89f3cc14437b1736693eae7430.jpg

aa03da64228ef0266ccf11b979bcc5a6.jpg

d25d958448b47ea71a0383e55a34d9c5.jpg

Comments

• IPIP
    IPIP Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is the first picture I captured after removing old gas fireplace

6d90c942838397d437b73061b65c35ef.jpg

After removing the ceiling plasterboard, carpet etc

1fbddbb888f0db9bb86583549dffb223.jpg

7232447d66e938c271100f2472a39690.jpg
  • IPIP
    Options
    Cleaned up the place, erected stud framings and sorted out the wiring, including ceiling speakers. The idea is to have a 65" tv which will be flush to the wall with no wiring or power cable exposed. The right cabinet will house Sky, AV reciever and the Playstation. The left cabinet will house the computer and any other 2 HDMI items. There is a power socket on each cabinet and because any power cables will be blocked by the appliences in there, I went with 1 socket with extension in mind.

Theres a 12mm chipboard backing to support the TV weight and likewise the bottom is for an electric fireplace, again same chipboard to support the weight.

6ec43e13bf585426a596da37dabca833.jpg

In the meantime, I bought one of these ceiling speakers from Ebay @ 6.5" size:
    adastra-4-x-surround-sound-ceiling-speakers-directional-tweeter-80w-easy-fit-p4270-8570_image.jpg

and I tested it against one of the older surround speakers that I had from Richer Sounds. It seemed that they were almost identical. So I went ahead and bought 3 more to make up the 4 ceiling speakers.

I began boarding up with a 12mm plasterboard:
    51f512955bf43cf7154c5017a122db0d.jpg
  • IPIP
    Options
    The boarding finally finished, I started jointing, cleaning up the edges and just getting it ready before plastering

c7607374242a11a2318d3e51a8691eb2.jpg

Began plastering:

66c52cd0589b02e57f66fa12de1e5071.jpg

and today, this is where I am at:

f1a8f021e80e550d896c591337937900.jpg
  • TeamPlum
    TeamPlum Posts: 213 Forumite
    Options
    I like it, are you a tradesman? You seem to know what you're doing.
  • IPIP
    Options
    TeamPlum wrote: »
    I like it, are you a tradesman? You seem to know what you're doing.

Just a DIY'er and an avid Youtube viewer :beer:
    I'll post the cost spreadsheet later because I had strict budget in mind.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Rank amateur, you know nothing of slow DIY projects, you should introduce your OH to mine. Youd be put in the 60 minute make over category.

4 years doing my bathroom, worked stopped about 2 years ago after peaking before baby came along but ive still yet to fit the bath panel and extractor fan..... this weekend.....

Really like the styles your going for, should look good.

What was the old ceiling hiding? I cant see why the fake drop is their?
  • IPIP
    Options
    spadoosh wrote: »
    Rank amateur, you know nothing of slow DIY projects, you should introduce your OH to mine. Youd be put in the 60 minute make over category.

4 years doing my bathroom, worked stopped about 2 years ago after peaking before baby came along but ive still yet to fit the bath panel and extractor fan..... this weekend.....

Really like the styles your going for, should look good.

What was the old ceiling hiding? I cant see why the fake drop is their?

My next project is likely to be the bathroom and my professionally slow turnaround is telling me it will take even longer than the living room.

The ceiling drop was done by me about 8 years ago, the idea was to have spot lights and speakers but the noob in me executed it poorly.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,630 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    spadoosh wrote: »

Agreed, a rank amateur. I've been working on my lounge for over two years now, and still haven't painted the windowsill. Kitchen is ongoing after nine months, and the less said about the garden (weed patch), the better.

OP - If you are thinking of putting a heater below the TV, please rethink the idea. Heat rises, and it won't do any good for the life of the TV.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • dickibobboy
    dickibobboy Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Options
    I love the idea of threads like these, a good thread or maybe even sub forum for project threads would be great.

It gives members chance to post what they’ve done and get ideas for their own stuff.
    Things that are free in life are great, well most of the time :beer:
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Excellent job! I assume you put insulation back in the floor before plastering??!

Might also want to think about some LEDs around the TV frame whilst its all open - cheap and can look really nice and helps the contrast on the TV. I have warm colour changing ones.

Also...whilst I think about what I did with mine, you can get remote control sockets which really helps fully power down stuff without trying to reach plugs, plus it looks cool when you press buttons on a remote and the lights/tv/dvd etc come on.

Looking forward to seeing final result!

Might be too late but with that shape room you could also look at electric drop down projector screen and even a drop down projector for the full cinema experience (I built a cinema in my basement and it gets used weekly). Great for films/gaming.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure