PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House buying

Comments

• Grezz24
    Grezz24 Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Some doomsayers on here.

Firstly if you go help to buy on a new build you only need 5% deposit, not 10%.
    secondly you dont pay stamp duty under a certain value for a first home

so what was told as £20,000 is now actually £8500 (5%) as there are many free free brokers out there.

When applying for a mortgage the lender looks at your total incoming per month(say £2000 as an example) and total outgoing (including couch and car etc) and say you are left with £1000 left then they work on affordability if the rates rise etc to see if you can afford the price.

many people have credit cards and agreements in place and still get a mortgage. I would post this on the mortgage and endowments page and get advice from the brokers on there they are very helpful.
  • Grezz24
    Grezz24 Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    also a point to add we are looking at new builds now and we have £7000 saved and need about £11000 for our deposit, but the new build we are after isnt ready until early next year so we are potentially about to reserve it - knowing our deposit will be there for when its ready to complete.

if we had started to look when we had the full5% we would have been waiting several months for the n next batch of homes to be released.
  • Nicosy
    Nicosy Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I assume you're a first time buyer? Not considering stamp duty isn't too bad in that case as the 2017 Budget brought in new rules for first-time buyers that are supposed to help more people get onto the property ladder by reducing the amount of stamp duty you’ll pay if you spend less than £500,000 on a property. If you spend less than £300,000 on your property, you’ll pay ZERO stamp duty.

So long as you’ve never owned any property, anywhere, any time, you’re ok.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Grezz24 wrote: »
    Some doomsayers on here.

so what was told as £20,000 is now actually £8500 (5%) as there are many free free brokers out there.

£8,500 at £450 per month is still a year and a half. Obviously not as long as the 3-4 years previously mentioned, but hardly tomorrow, or really any time "in the near future" either.
  • krustylouise
    krustylouise Posts: 1,501 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Some doomsayers on here.

When applying for a mortgage the lender looks at your total incoming per month(say £2000 as an example) and total outgoing (including couch and car etc) and say you are left with £1000 left then they work on affordability if the rates rise etc to see if you can afford the price.

many people have credit cards and agreements in place and still get a mortgage. I would post this on the mortgage and endowments page and get advice from the brokers on there they are very helpful.

Thank you so much. After being on here this morning I felt very down hearted. We have spoken to a broker, in fact two. One seems a lot more professional than the other so we will be working with him when the time comes I suspect. I will pop over to the other thread- thanks again.

PAD 2023 Debt total as of Dec 2022 £18,988.63*April £17,711.03

Halifax CC £3168.21

Halifax loan £6095.47

Car finance £7639.02

Next £0/£808.33

#22 - 1p savings challenge 2023 £166.95/£667.95

Saving for Christmas - £1 a day savings challenge 2023 £50/£1000

• krustylouise
    krustylouise Posts: 1,501 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    £8,500 at £450 per month is still a year and a half. Obviously not as long as the 3-4 years previously mentioned, but hardly tomorrow, or really any time "in the near future" either.

I guess people views on timeframes is all subjective isn't it? My near future (as in a year or so is much different to meaning now. Thanks for your advice though.

PAD 2023 Debt total as of Dec 2022 £18,988.63*April £17,711.03

Halifax CC £3168.21

Halifax loan £6095.47

Car finance £7639.02

Next £0/£808.33

#22 - 1p savings challenge 2023 £166.95/£667.95

Saving for Christmas - £1 a day savings challenge 2023 £50/£1000

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Some doomsayers on here.

HTB has it's own problems, you must pay back the loan after 5 years or accrue interest. You will usually pay back more than you borrowed due to increase in house prices. It's a scam imho, kicking the can down the road, also it's not available with every house/flat it has criteria
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • MERFE
    MERFE Posts: 2,133 Forumite
    Try not to get too disheartened, you have a goal and are working towards it. I started in a similar position to you about a year ago only with more debt. At first we concentrated on paying off the debt but since it was all 0% we now save whilst repaying. We have £1700 left to pay on the credit card and £7000 saved so far. We will be looking to buy at the end of the year or possibly save further, house prices here are not rapidly increasing but suitable houses only pop up every now and again so we will continue to save until the right house is available. Don't lose your focus and every month you will get a little closer to that goal.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 16 May 2018 at 9:49AM
    MERFE wrote: »
    At first we concentrated on paying off the debt but since it was all 0% we now save whilst repaying. We have £1700 left to pay on the credit card and £7000 saved so far.
    How much do you pay in interest each month on the credit card now? (Or maybe I'm mis-reading and you mean you 'is' 0%, not 'was'? If zero, ignore the line below!)

I really don't get it. Surely you'd be better off clearing the credit card and having £5,300 in savings :think:
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Nicosy
    Nicosy Posts: 46 Forumite
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    HTB has it's own problems, you must pay back the loan after 5 years or accrue interest. You will usually pay back more than you borrowed due to increase in house prices. It's a scam imho, kicking the can down the road, also it's not available with every house/flat it has criteria

I agree re HtB potentially being a scam, can easily see headlines down the line about borrowers who reached too far and then hit by interest payments after 5ys, caveat emptor I guess. It was more to spur investment in new builds than a genuine borrower subsidy after all.

Company called Property Pact seem to be trying to create a P2P version, see how that goes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure