PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 12 May 2018 at 6:24PM
    Kittie - LOL. I pick up phrases and accents from all sorts of directions - always have....

When I had an American friend one time I apparently rapidly acquired a mid-Atlantic accent. I'm probably quite good at speaking American if I want to.

I have a neutral/modern "received pronunciation" type voice basically and, according to my mother, virtually went to primary school speaking with my own voice (ie the same as my parents) one day and it took me a matter of weeks before I started speaking in the local accent (I was local:rotfl:.) Cue for my mother not being very happy about that - and "steps were taken" to get my own voice back again. Hence I like my own voice and my own language and regard them as the best I could have, so I'll keep them - but pick up those phrases and temporary accents from other people.

Apparently I could soon put on a perfect local accent after moving here...if I tried.

Just call me "verbal chameleon"...

Well - afternoon was spent on house upkeep. So dinner was just total CBA of toast with nut butter, some melon and some rice milk.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    For breakfast I had hash browns, sausages, beans, scrambled eggs, splash of the brown stuff and a black coffee... thought "that's it until tea time", but had an unexpected "bonus meal" when I was served with a hogroast (pork, stuffing, apple sauce in a big bread roll). That was welcome - I'd have never got round to buying one myself to try .... I found it "very bland" to be honest. But it was free, so hurrah to that!
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good evening everyone,

Brambling - I've frozen buttermilk lots of times and it's always been fine defrosted for cooking.

It turned into a glorious day here, over 22C on my deck mid afternoon, though cooling down rapidly now. I've spent most of it in the garden and for me got quite a lot done:). Also had a nice sit in the sunshine on my rocking chair with my book, a naughty ice cream cone and a cuppa.:cool:
    I'm glad I've planned an easy meal tonight as I really cba standing for ages. Forecast looks promising tomorrow so I might start tackling the weeds in the front bed. I've found a long handled hoe and old pair of very long bbq tongs ideal for avoiding too much bending. While the good weather lasts cooking will very much be taking a back seat so I'm holding off doing a meal plan for the time being. I've made a list of all the bits I need to use or freeze and will keep an eye on that so nothing gets wasted.

I think I mentioned that the beautiful begonia I had last year that had been carefully kept over the winter didn't seem to have survived, well it has and I swear the appearing shoot has doubled in size since this morning.:D
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,124 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Thanks for the buttermilk tip Caronc I do like the chicken recipe but have to think what to do with the left over buttermilk other than soda bread or scones. I just have to get off the sofa to make the marinade

Worked until 8.30pm due to server issues, so I'm hoping I don't regret eating too spicy curry at 9pm :( I also wanted to try a no knead fruit bread recipe I found but that will need to spend 18 hours proving I'm currently feeling too tired to move the cat :o
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 13 May 2018 at 7:05AM
    caronc - re your barbecue tongs for picking things up - and you might find a litterpicker even handier? They are longer-handled and can get a firmer grip of things.

I know this - because I bought a litterpicker - community litterpicking for the purposes of...as there is a HECK of a lot of litter round here (well - there was.....). I've got my suspicions by now that one could trace out an ever-increasing circle which, coincidentally, has my house as its epicentre within which there are "normal" litter levels (ie very little of it). All part of making my environment feel more "familiar" to me LOL - as I'm used to not noticing any litter in most places and very little in more countryish places (not vast amounts of litter in loads of places - as this town did to start with). But the area is getting more normal on that front bit by determined bit by a group of us...
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 May 2018 at 8:35AM
    Brambling wrote: »
    Thanks Pineapple, do you mix it with milk or just make it with buttermilk.
    I would mix it with milk but if you google buttermilk rice pudding there are plenty of suggestions.
    Up early to cook some new pots while on E7 and sausages for sandwiches. I'll be having the pots with some tinned salmon (I always wonder if tinned isn't healthier than fresh as it is generally sourced from wild as opposed to being farmed in chemicals and effluent?).
    I'll add some foraged greenery to both and maybe some of my own lettuce though it isn't properly ready yet.
    So pleased to see some drizzle this morning. It means I don't feel pressured to rush outside and start digging, painting and varnishing like a mad thing.
    Edit: Scrap that, here comes the sun... :(
    Wish I hadn't been up till the early hours watching re-runs of Versailles. I loved that series including the theme music - even if I do have to run and hide during the gory bits.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I did too much sitting yesterday, was working but only sitting stuff, so I am wanting to get out and about today, for starters my legs feel heavy and the blood needs moving

Started with rm, chicken pasta bake and enjoyed it too. Did my AnC order for next week, ordered a juicing box this time and only a few other bits, 2 pints of milk and will freeze one. Brown cow yoghurts but I only use half at a time. Put some stuff on which I deleted as it is too easy to get carried away and I want to limit what I spend

Made and drank a veg juice already and got through all the LO unbagged carrots + lemon/ginger/celery/fennel/parsley. Took 2 eggs out to get to room temperature plus a small cube of goats cheese and will make a cheese omlette with sliced tomato for lunch. Got frozen rhubarb compote and blueberries out for my last meal. I am very proud to say that I have grown and frozen enough fruit for just about the whole year through and am still using it from last year. Must have saved a fortune besides producing so much organically, even the blueberries, I now have 10 bushes and 6 are in pots at home. Wish I could grow slug resistant strawberries, I buy strawberries but my latest plants are holding flowers high up but the birds will dive in before me, I know it

Only cycling is planned for today, a longer ride but fairly flat, will add on the canal towpath. There will be more people out today, being sunday and the fishermen will be along the bank, everyone having a good time and enjoying being out
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 May 2018 at 8:36AM
    caronc - re your barbecue tongs for picking things up - and you might find a litterpicker even handier? They are longer-handled and can get a firmer grip of things.
    Round here you are more likely to need a dog cr*p picker. That's because some locals and tourists think it is OK to leave deposits anywhere and everywhere - because it's the countryside innit.
    I'm fighting back and have even forked out for official looking notices from a certain well known shopping site. I'll be putting them up under cover of darkness though guaranteed someone will spot me and it will be all round the village in nanoseconds.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 13 May 2018 at 9:26AM
    Up at just after 6, sun's out.

Up & checking you tube,I had an idea last night while watching the country programme, with what's her name with curly hair? PS, just remembered, Kate Humble
    Anyway, it involved grape growing, I've grown them before but I thought about doing it in a pot this time, seen them like that at Wisley. After checking it may not be worth the effort, my thoughts have now turned to figs. I've already got 3 fig trees so I know they fruit OK

Breakfast was porridge / banana / HM yoghurt combo

Lunch probably cheese & salad sarnie

Off out for a mooch in a bit, need milk and inspiration
    caronc wrote: »
    I think I mentioned that the beautiful begonia I had last year that had been carefully kept over the winter didn't seem to have survived, well it has and I swear the appearing shoot has doubled in size since this morning.:D

Well done on that, some of mine have survived but there are gaps to fill, vine weevils:mad:
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ooohhh I HATE vine weavils, I remember when I first got them and that was the end of my home table -top strawberry growing enterprise. One bag was crawling so it cost me all that equipment plus nematodes every year to last year. They love strawberries and sedums, both of which I had

I have been cycling and to the allotment for another armful of rhubarb, had some coffee and started browsing, thinking I really fancy some old fashioned black pudding. Went onto the costco site and they, to my surprise, have some very good foods on there (not cheap). I have ordered Toms vegetable tartlets to freeze in single portions and an assortment of burgers also to freeze in singles. They do eversfield organic boxes at a very fair price, maybe in the future. Anyway all arriving next week and will help the eating plans, only needing to add salads or veg
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback