Burton card PPI - query

I have applied to reclaim my PPI through Resolver to get some money back from Santander for my Burton card from 20 years ago. I still have all the card statements. I found a bit strange that they asked me a lot of questions about savings accounts, employment status then, etc… when I applied with Halifax and Barclays they didn’t ask me such questions. I remember that in the shop when I applied for the card I wasn’t asked any questions regarding employment and savings account, they only told me that my application might be declined if I don’t take that insurance. Anybody had similar experiences?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I found a bit strange that they asked me a lot of questions about savings accounts, employment status then, etc

You would expect to be asked those if you have not supplied that information in the first place. (Resolver does not always supply the full information to each firm)

They are all pertinent questions.
    when I applied with Halifax and Barclays they didn!!!8217;t ask me such questions.

If the firm can see a failure from the info you have supplied or their own info then there is nothing to be gained from asking you more questions. They go straight to redress at that point. If a firm cannot see any failure in the info you supplied so far or their info, they are required to find out more about the whole scenario in case there is an issue there. If not, they can reject the complaint.
    Anybody had similar experiences?

Plenty. It all sounds pretty routine for a complaint that doesnt seem to have any failing identified on the initial information supplied.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • I have received today their letter stating that my application is rejected because the PPI was optional. And also they consider that over 15 years has passed between the date I purchased the PPI and the date I submitted my complaint. At the end of the letter there is something about Plevin complaint and further advice from their regulators before I can refer this case to FOS. I am educating myself with this now as I don't have a clue what it is. Many thanks for your kind reply.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure