This Time I'm Really Going To Do It

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Brilliant, Watty, well done :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Hi Watty, having been hit by three big health issues this year, I fully understand about feeling low. I'd like to be in Portugal now but Mr T is too young - his words not mine - but what it gives us is time to plan and generate ideas etc.

Your OP today is mahoosive and will be a big boost - enjoy the moment :)

Very best wishes to you all - and Most Handsome of course.

Tilly x x
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Do you sacrifice a lot by making such big overpayments ? cars holidays food toys ect ect
    Great question. I thought about how to answer it and so answer is a little longer than you might expect.
    I’d love to say we go without but I don’t think we do really. I’ve become very ‘mindful’ of how we spend money. I used to fritter a lot away. I don’t do that now. I don’t really know what I spent it on which is a sad truth I have come to realise over the last 2 years.
    I would love to economise on food but I don’t really know how as I’ve found all my ideas don’t really work for me. Asking Tilly for help with this is on my ‘to do’ list J
    Our cars are old – mine in particular is a 1996 car. I bought it 4 years ago when I didn’t want to admit that my left arm had been damaged by an accident permanently (I can’t drive a car with a gear stick). Its survived, goes well and actually I love it. Mr Watty’s car is old too. But as some readers might remember a year ago I bought a horsebox so I can’t claim true motor scrimping J
    We don’t do holidays. Mr Watty went to China this year but that was with his mum and she paid. I went to Portugal with a couple of friends but only for 3 nights and we stayed in a cheap apartment (fabulous).
    No toys. I really would like a phone to play with – mine is really old – and I would like a tablet so I can work out of my office. I can put both through the business and will do after the mortgage is gone.
    We don’t go out much either – although we eat out maybe once every 3 weeks. But cheaper places now and always with a discount voucher – or – Sunday roasts at the local pub.
    We are very mindful about going out. At the weekend we went to a big horse show but we both got in for free and had a lovely day. We wouldn't have paid £70 to go at the moment! This evening we are going to a lecture which was £10 each but we both really wanted to go so am looking forward to that - but- I did think about that spend and it was a yes/no/yes/no moment.
    No sky or paid for TV either! Make do by recording stuff on freeview box or buying dvd’s and reselling on ebay. I honestly don’t think we would watch more even if we did. Upgrading the TV so I can watch Horse and Country TV might happen in the next couple of years.
    But then I have the horses and they are expensive. So I would not describe my life as frugal. Mr Watty probably is way more frugal than me as the horses are really mine – so – I try not to comment when he goes out with his work mates for a Chinese and beers.
    We are lucky, Mr Watty earns well and my business does well too. I think mindset is what is making the biggest difference.
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • LauraJo
    LauraJo Posts: 1,041 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi
    Sounds like horsey is doing amazingly well - I love the question by luckyinlife - not sure we can be classed as 'true sacrificers' when we keep horses he he!
    The mind set is the most important thing though - I really struggle now with the wastage in my live now the OH thinks its open season to start spending again! He was good for years though so I guess I'll let him off for a bit!
    Mortgage starting balance 2011 ... £170k today £1.5k
    Savings: £3k
    Aim: 100k by Dec 2021
  • Firegirl
    Firegirl Posts: 922 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    4k is amazing Watty:0). So chuffed for you! Your so close to breaking the 20k barrier!!!! Woooooi hooooooo!
    Mortgage balance Feb 2015 start of MFW Journey-£245316.06/Aim to be mortgage neutral 2022 — Target for May 2024 14 Year Target Balance MF50 = £89,535 — Mortgage Balance £106, 000—Target for May 2024! £89,535

Retirement Planning
    Starting Position : Pension 1-£165,000/Pension 2-£50,000/Pension 3-£9,500/ISA-£87,000/Total-£311,500
  • Firegirl
    Firegirl Posts: 922 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Oh Watty just read you post no 1334 while sitting drinking a £2.65 mocha than I could really have done without!!!! I need to say no more!!!
    Mortgage balance Feb 2015 start of MFW Journey-£245316.06/Aim to be mortgage neutral 2022 — Target for May 2024 14 Year Target Balance MF50 = £89,535 — Mortgage Balance £106, 000—Target for May 2024! £89,535

Retirement Planning
    Starting Position : Pension 1-£165,000/Pension 2-£50,000/Pension 3-£9,500/ISA-£87,000/Total-£311,500
  • Luckyinlife
    Luckyinlife Posts: 1,613 Forumite
    Great reply watty thanks :]

I know what you mean i think we all deserve a few luxury's in life for you it be your horses for me it be my car not a silly expensive one just a nice one i dont mind washing haha

I myself dont have payed for tv as such i do however have a few cheaper options like amazon prime but i guess if you can balance life well why not its for enjoying after all
    Mortgage--- [STRIKE]£67700 March 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£65221 April 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£64983 July 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£64780 sept 15[/STRIKE] Remortgage [STRIKE]£67295 oct 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£66599 Nov 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£65878.73 Dec 15[/STRIKE][STRIKE] £64834 1st Jan 16[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Feb 16 £64,511.89[/STRIKE][STRIKE] March 16 £64,056.40[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]April 16 £62550[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]May 16 £62,396.20[/STRIKE] Feb 17 £60.800
    Emergency fund 23k
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Great OP, Watty - and a really well thought out response to Lil's question :)
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Such good news about Most Handsome.
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary

LauraJo wrote: »
    Hi
    Sounds like horsey is doing amazingly well - I love the question by luckyinlife - not sure we can be classed as 'true sacrificers' when we keep horses he he!!

So true J
    Firegirl wrote: »
    Oh Watty just read you post no 1334 while sitting drinking a £2.65 mocha than I could really have done without!!!! I need to say no more!!!

That was me before starting this diary. Popped into a Costa Coffee 2 or 3 times a week and into the village tea shop around once. I still do frequent the Costa crowd but it is occasional rather than regular!
    Alchemilla wrote: »
    Such good news about Most Handsome.

Thanks. Totally delighted here. Rode him to the end of the road, round the triangle and back today. Only out for about 20 mins and Mr Watty walked with us – but – this was a really big step. He was a little nervous to be ridden but given all he has been through that was fine. And I was not very confident either. But we both did beautifully. Am so very happy J
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback