Tricked into Photocopier contract spiral :(

Plant1980
Plant1980 Posts: 29 Forumite
Ill try to make this short,
Our photocopier company came in to review and offer us a better deal, they did and we signed the deal as it suited us.
A few weeks later the sales rep said we were on target to go over our print allocation so he needed to adjust the numbers, he did and we resigned (at this point i did not see any cost changes).
A few more weeks and he called in again with the same proposal to adjust the numbers, we did, and resigned.
Then a bill came through for 3x what we initially signed up for, i took a look at the contracts and each time he had increased the cost per copy to double the amount.
We opened a complaint as i think he purposely didnt fill in the new cost until we had signed.

He phoned and said we could scale the print amounts back down no problem, several weeks go by of trying to get them in to scale down, and finally they say we cant, we have to pay the same amount and they will rebate us a little if we print less, if we want it on a contract they will triple the cost of our prints.
I know its a long shot but do yo think misrepresentation is an option here?

Thanks

Comments

• bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Did you not take a copy at time of signing?
  • Plant1980
    No, as personally i just thought it was an adjustment in terms of say 40k mono and 10k colour to 30k mono and 15k colour ect, stupid i know.
    He came in asked us to sign the adjusted volumes and went, then when we checked the copies they sent all the details were there.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    If they can show you a contract with your signature on, you're probably stuffed. They only comeback you have is if they did not leave you a duplicate copy, or you have your own copy which is different, therefore opening the possibility that the rep could have altered it afterwards.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • Plant1980
    No they did not leave me a copy, they got the signature, left and then posted a photocopy through after the first invoice came through weeks later.
  • Shakin_Steve
    That's very bad practice, I wonder if it's company policy or if the rep was looking for a bit of commission? I would ring their head office and ask if you should have been left a copy. If not, I would dispute the contract and tell them that you're willing to take it further if necessary. What's to stop any rep altering a contract after they leave?
    Please be sure you are certain on the facts first, though.
  • Plant1980
    Yeah thats exactly what i think, he is on commission and whipped in and out with the documents and added the new pricing sat in his car, i went ape when the first bill came though and he knew it was coming.
    We complained to his boss but he called up and said we could drop the amount of copies down, so we left it a bit, but now they have said we cant, we have to sign a new contract for the lower amount of copies at the SAME elevated cost and rely on them rebating us every quarter....its a scam
  • 27cool
    27cool Posts: 267 Forumite
    That's very bad practice, I wonder if it's company policy or if the rep was looking for a bit of commission? I would ring their head office and ask if you should have been left a copy. If not, I would dispute the contract and tell them that you're willing to take it further if necessary. What's to stop any rep altering a contract after they leave?
    Please be sure you are certain on the facts first, though.
    Surely you can't suspect a rep of trying to get more commission.
    Perish the thought.
  • Plant1980
    When we signed the first document cost per copy was 4p mono and 7p colour but the asset was free so no rental, then a few weeks later he adjusted the volumes a little and when we got the documents in the post i saw 8.08p mono and 12p colour, there is no way i would have signed that if those numbers had been on that sheet
  • Shakin_Steve
    Right...well, dig your heels in, refuse to pay and accuse them of fraud. That should get their attention.
  • freeisgood
    freeisgood Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Any witnesses in your office confirming those figures were not on the form?

I would also make a lot of fuss on their facebook page too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure