Garage charging for unnecessary work...

2»

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    angrycrow wrote: »
    If the noise is still there check the tyre for saw tooth wear, most likely on rear. I had a tyre replaced last week the had severe sae tooth wear which made a noise just like a wheel bearing between 65 and 72 mph. This wear was caused by a sticking rear brake calliper dragging and over heating the tyre.

It's possible. Just swap the rear tyres side-to-side (or the tyres on each side front-to-rear if they're directional) to test.
  • Wilf23
    Wilf23 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Spoke to the garage, asked them if they believed the wheel bearing was the original and they said yes, then told them it was replaced 18months ago and they just went silent.

Told them I'd get it inspected by another garage but if that's inconclusive then I'll have to accept it I guess.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,517
    Forumite
    How would they know it was changed 10,000 miles ago?

Ive bought brand new parts that were in a worse state than the item i was replacing.

Prove they did the work but it didnt need doing (virtually impossible now)

Or prove the items they removed were not faulty (again impossible unless you have the old parts)

Or pay for an inspection to see if they did actually change the parts they charged for, this wont be cheap for a proper inspection backed up with the paperwork needed to win in court if needed.

Can you tell the difference between a bearing thats done 10k miles and one recently fitted?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    How would they know it was changed 10,000 miles ago?

Ive bought brand new parts that were in a worse state than the item i was replacing.

Prove they did the work but it didnt need doing (virtually impossible now)

Or prove the items they removed were not faulty (again impossible unless you have the old parts)

Or pay for an inspection to see if they did actually change the parts they charged for, this wont be cheap for a proper inspection backed up with the paperwork needed to win in court if needed.

Can you tell the difference between a bearing thats done 10k miles and one recently fitted?

I reckon the only way you'd get a proper opinion would be by sending the bearing to the maker for them to cut open and examine under a microscope. I expect they can tell but I don't know for sure.
    All of which, including the bearing replacement of course, isn't going to be cheap.
    To the OP, as I said before, I'd cut my losses and leave it. Don't use the garage again if you're unhappy with them.
  • Wilf23
    Wilf23 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Thanks all, I won't persue it then. It's motivates me to do a basic mechanics course though.
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Some lessons in life are like a vaccination. A bit unpleasant at the time, but better in the long run.
    Think of all the money you'll save, by the scepticism you've just paid for.

I've had a few lessons like that, so I know where you are coming from. Still, at least I can trust the Nigerian prince who is giving me a cut of the money that I'm helping him to bring into the country.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Sounds like paranoia more than anything!
    For all you know they fitted an oem part which is why they look the same.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Wilf23 wrote: »
    Thanks all, I won't persue it then. It's motivates me to do a basic mechanics course though.

Whilst that may be of some use for throwing around and trying to look like you know what your talking about, I know plenty of computer science graduates who can't reinstall an OS or even so much as connect up a parallel printer.
    The idea of a basic mechanics course does not exactly fill me with confidence (although I think practical course are the best way to learn, rather than memorising text books).
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Consider joining a Ford owners forum such as http://www.talkford.com

A good source of info and advice especially if you are planning a bit of diy.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    Forumite
    Expecting a modern computer science graduate to connect a parallel printer is on a par with expecting a modern mechanic to remetal white metal main bearings.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure