Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World

lessonlearned
lessonlearned Posts: 13,337
Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
Forumite
edited 1 January 2017 at 2:09PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
Good Morning Lovely Ladies

Welcome to the new Frump to Fab thread. A whole new world of frugal style and fabulousity. A place where we learn from each other how to be the best we can with the resources we have.

Can you be both frugal and fabulous, I think so. You can be both skint and stylish. You can have your cake and eat it, you can "live it large" on a minuscule budget.

So to all you newbies welcome. Join in the fun with the ladies in our fabulous online community. Here we discuss all things fabulous and we learn all about "fabbing".

Yes I know it's a made up word but what does it mean.

Well for us it means taking care of ourselves, our looks yes of course but it's more than "mere vanity".

"FAbbing" also means looking after our health, our well being, our homes, our careers, our hobbies, our interests and past times and not forgetting our finances. :D

ANd of course, it goes without saying, a verybig warm welcome to our regulars, returners, and lurkers.

So dear newbies Join in the fun with the ladies in our fabulous online community

Before we get started let me take this opportunity to wish you all A Very Happy, Peaceful and Prosperous New Year.

Today you may be busy with New Year's Day gatherings or you may Be feeling a little worse for wear after the New Years Eve Celebrations so for now we are going to be gentle.

No fasting, no detox (unless of course you want to) but I would advocate that we ease ourselves gently into the New Year by remembering our first mantra.

Step 1. Wear perfume. You should smell divine every day. Don't save your favourite fragrances "for best". Never again save anything for best. Don't we deserve to be the best we can be - every single day.

Ah but what about the cost I hear you say. This is a Money saving website after all.......:rotfl:

Well you don't have to douse yourself in your most expensive Dior or Chanel perfumes. A simple spray of cologne will still smell wonderful.

And one of the nicest smells of all is a waft of fresh clean soap. So if you can't afford perfume then at least make sure you are freshly washed or showered and use a lovely soap or shower gel.

So dig out some of those new smellies you got for Christmas and start using them.

Today's tip.

Got a perfume you don't like because it's too strong or heavy?? Dilute it.

Don't throw it away or regift it. Add it to some simple cream or lotion or even some vegetable oil and make a luxurious moisturising body treatment. The height of luxury and decadence for mere pennies. :D

I am still recovering from my chest infection.......feeling a lot better today but I'm still going to take it easy. So........I am going to spend some time today pondering on what I would like to achieve this year. I am not going to think in terms of New Years Resolutions it will be more a case of goal setting.

As most of you will know Dad died on Friday so much of January will entail making his funeral arrangements and sorting out his estate.
This means that, realistically, I am going to be busy for the next couple of weeks so I might have to catch up with my new plans.

But.......just because I might not be posting everyday doesn't mean to
Say that I won't be keeping a watchful eye on you. I shall be reading and observing!!! :rotfl:

So please start the new fabbing year without me and I'll catch up with you all again just as soon as I can.

Have a fabulous New Year's Day. See you all soon.

X

Comments

• sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,046
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    First of all I would like to wish you all a Happy & Healthy 2017.

I have been lurking on the old thread for several months now and would love to join you all - you seem a lovely, friendly bunch :)

Haven't quite decided on my goals for this year but something has to change as I am not content with life as it is at the moment :(

Sorry for your recent loss LL - it is never easy to lose those dear to you but at least your Dad is no longer in pain. Hope you recover quickly from your chest infection too.

Looking forward to getting to know you all better.

Sukey x
  • Ellsbel
    Ellsbel Posts: 469 Forumite
    Happy New Year Fabbers- may 2017 be kind to us all.
    Thank you for the new thread, LL, and for the perfume tip. It's a good idea to go easy on yourself for now; hope you're feeling better soon and able to have time to focus on your goals.
    Welcome sukey:) It's a friendly, encouraging and inspiring thread where you'll hopefully pick up lots of tips.
    New year, new start, lots of goals for me to work on. I read a book not long ago - unfortunately I can't remember the title - where the author worked on 12 goals/plans a month at a time; the idea being that after 30 days something becomes a habit so you can then work on adding a new "habit" a month at a time.
    I'm going to try this, with this months habit being to build, and keep to, an exercise regime:)
    I bought some new perfume yesterday so that's one habit I've definitely adopted with the help of this thread:) I spray every day, even if I'm not going out.
    Have a good day all x
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    happy new year fabbers

My goals for 2017

Loose 1-1.5 stones - I'm going to join weightwatchers.

Do something with my hair - I'm growing it, but I'm thinking of colouring it.

Reduce my overdraft - I say this every year, but now that both children are at school, I have more disposable income.

Get more of a social life - I've lost contact with lots of people, so I want to reconnect.

Read more books, do more baking, leant new skills.

Keep up the fabbing and enjoy using my nice stuff ( don't keep for special occasions).

Decorate a couple of rooms in the house - luckily, it's mainly paint we need.

For any newbies, this thread of great and we talk about a wide range of stuff. Even when I'm not fabbing as much as I should, the people on here inspire me to continue and are a great source of support and advice.

Thank you all.
  • lessonlearned
    Forumite
    Just sipping my morning coffee and polishing off the last croissant.....before I go back to strict paleo.

The antibiotics are upsetting my system - as usual - and I feel rather grim so I think I'm going to go back to bed and see if I can sleep it off. What a start to the new year.:eek:

Never mind I'll be as right as rain in a day or two and theres nothing spoiling, nothing I absolutely have to do today.

Chanie. That book sounds interesting. I think the idea of twelve challenges or mini goals, i.e. one new habit per month is excellent. It seems less daunting when you break things down into manageable chunks.

Our old friend the elephant.......we've not seen him for a while.:rotfl:.

Hello Sukeyboo. Welcome..
  • maggiem
    maggiem Posts: 1,617
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hello all,
    I have been lurking on the previous thread but would like to join in for 2017. I am getting closer to retiring and am also very aware I fall into the Government's overweight, drinking too much and exercising too little group. I can be very lazy about fabbing, always wear perfume thanks LL, but very bad at using makeup mornings not being a favourite time. I often sleep badly, lie awake for ages and then fall sound asleep about 30 minutes before the alarm is due to go off so end up dashing as I need to leave early because of traffic.

So in 2017 I would very much like to make more of an effort and want to:
    Lose weight - about 3 stone

Continue to reduce drinking so it is mindful rather than a habit at the end of the day, trying to keep to a dry January and after that 4 days a week AF

Walk more, and eventually join some exercise classes, I know I am getting less flexible and need to get generally fitter. I am going to try some Yoga videos as I struggle to get to a class due to lots of travel.

So lots to do and hoping to join in with all of you. Happy New Year.
  • 3forholidays
    3forholidays Posts: 1,392
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    LL Thanks for the new thread! Is the title correct though as it doesn't say 2017!
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 : SPC 11 - £975 : SPC 12 - £845 : SPC 13 - £700
  • clippy_girl
    clippy_girl Posts: 2,283
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Morning all!

I'm very sorry for your loss LL and glad he was not in too much pain at the end :( thinking of you and your family X

A few fabby goals for 2017-

Loose 3 st 4lbs to get back under 10st. Aim to be 12st for my holiday on 24 March. Need to get over my binge eating habit once and for all. If I can't learn to eat sugary food in moderation then i need to accept I cannot eat them. I am sick of having headaches and feeling groggy and sick :(

Get fit and toned again. I do enjoy doing gym classes when I force myself to go so I am aiming for 4 classes a week. Also need to decide whether to return to powerhoop classes :)

Learn how to curl and wave my hair and experiment with some make up looks. Going to use some Xmas money for a MAC lesson I think.

As I loose weight replace clothes with new joy sparking ones :)

Think that's enough to be getting on with!

Currently got a nice casserole in the slow cooker and going to do parsnip soup for lunches this week. I'm stocking the freezer with lots of homemade meals that just need heated up :)
    :j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j
  • Hi all, I found the 2016 thread late in the year so lurked for quite some time. Think I am ready to join in now though!

My OH and I stayed up making our New Year resolutions and really hoping this is going to be our year! Things have become stagnant and I think we have both decided that we are not living the life we both want so much...a simpler, more enjoyable life..you don't realise how much time is passing some times.

Looking forward to getting to know you all and have a fab 2017!

Wishing you all the very best x
    Sometimes you just have to throw on a crown and remind them who they are dealing with
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,493
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Happy New Year and a big welcome to any new joiners.:)

This is a lovely thread. We all have a common aim of boosting our self esteem by making the best of ourselves but as chanie said it's wide ranging. Make up and fashion tips are the obvious ones but we do home fabbing, improving the mind and health and fitness as well. It's great to chat with like minded people.:A

Thanks for the diluting perfume tip LL. I have two Estee Lauder perfumes that I find too heavy although I like the scent itself. I think I'll give it a try mixing with my body lotion or hand cream.

Just sipping my morning coffee and polishing off the last croissant.....before I go back to strict paleo.

I think we all have issues with wasting food, probably comes from joining a mse forum.:money: I try to get my DH to eat up leftover treats. Today he's got to tackle some profiteroles and cream.;) I'm going to take some unopened crisps and salted nuts to the foodbank later this week. I generally buy a couple of pounds worth of food each week with my shopping for the food bank. It's a way of giving anonymously as I have issues with charities that hound you once they have contact details.

Hope you feel better after your nap LL.

Completely agree with joy sparking clothes clippy. I lost almost exactly your goal in weight 5 years ago and I've managed to keep it off ever since.:D I tried to buy an absolute minimum of new clothes while I was losing. Charity shops were good as I experimented cheaply with colours and regifted items when I grew out of them.

I'm going to put a bit of light make up on and go out for an hour or so. I'm so pleased with my new bedding that I bought ages ago from TKMaxx
    http://www.johnlewis.com/orla-kiely-tiny-stem-bedding/p319267
    that I'm going to their Homesense outlet to have a browse.

A few goals for 2017 are forming but I'm not as organised as many so haven't got a list yet.:) I'm definitely keeping going with many habits established from previous year(s) like healthy eating and having my hair, nails, feet and eyebrows done regularly. Exercise has to be up there so I'll start that with my extra dance class on Tuesday. Through his work, DH contributes to a facebook page that celebrates/promotes our city so I've realised that if we walk somewhere where he may be able to take photographs then he's more keen to join me.

Other than my shopping trip, a healthy meal is on today's agenda. I've also resolved that this will be the last year we have a real Christmas tree. I'm so fed up with the needles.:mad:So today or tomorrow the tree is coming down and then I'll gradually remove other stuff by Friday. I like to see the house decorated but I tire of it easily and it looks so uncluttered when the decorations are down.
  • lessonlearned
    Forumite
    LL Thanks for the new thread! Is the title correct though as it doesn't say 2017!

:rotfl::rotfl:

I don't know how to change it. Can anyone help please.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure