Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2016

Comments

• bobbyhibs
    bobbyhibs Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hovis91 wrote: »
    It's still there....they have shuffled the order of the games around so it's now near the end!!

hi
    and thanks for that , I had a look and you are correct!:beer:

In regards demanding free stuff i can understand how annoying it would be for the staff n what not and people expecting it.

I was going to try get my resort fees comped and maybe try for a comp buffet or 2 though asking nicely but never demanding though!

hope you guys and gals dont mind a couple more questions

the freemont street experince- im sure people have done this, what have your experinces been like?i take it it is free but some things may cost,anything you would reccomend doing./seeing that area? best way to get there- the deuce bus prehaps?

In doing some planning( I am a bit of a planner type person:D) in noticed the mob muesum is pretty close to the Freemont experince. anyone done the mob muesum? would you reccomend it?

thanks again!
  • Kit1
    Kit1 Posts: 422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi we have just booked to go at Christmas (we went two years ago) and are planning what we want to do and see (we like to have a plan so we don't waste time sorting it out when we are there and end up doing nothing).

We have done the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam.
    • We thought about hiring a car to visit Red Rock Canyon - is it worth the trip?
    • Can we get to the Neon Museum on the bus?
    • I would like to visit a Walmart and the dollar store, hear so much about them - can you go by bus?

What are things not to miss whilst there? Any top tips would be appreciated. We are happy to walk (last time we walked the length of the strip almost every day :))
    Stash Busting Challenge 2016 6/52
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Kit, here's the driving distances from Las Vegas to some places you could visit:
    Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area, Nevada 23 miles/37 km
    Mount Charleston, Nevada 43 miles/69 km
    Valley of Fire State Park, Nevada 56 miles/90 km
    Zion National Park, Utah 164 miles/264 km

I'd advise renting a car. Driving is easy, especially once you clear the city.
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    edited 21 May 2016 at 5:58PM
    Kit1 wrote: »
    Hi we have just booked to go at Christmas (we went two years ago) and are planning what we want to do and see (we like to have a plan so we don't waste time sorting it out when we are there and end up doing nothing).

• We thought about hiring a car to visit Red Rock Canyon - is it worth the trip?

if you only have time for one near-ish canyon, I would choose Valley of Fire over Red Rock, particularly if you have already done the GC. Red Rock is lovely, but VoF is something else entirely...it's really quite stunning and less than an hour's easy drive.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    bobbyhibs wrote: »

the freemont street experince- im sure people have done this, what have your experinces been like?i take it it is free but some things may cost,anything you would reccomend doing./seeing that area? best way to get there- the deuce bus prehaps?

I would always avoid the Deuce - take the SDX instead to go downtown. It makes far fewer stops so it is much faster.

Check the schedule for the light show in case there are any particular ones that appeal to you more than others. It would be a shame to arrive just after the one that would be most your thing.

http://vegasexperience.com/calendar/

It's free to be in the area and free to watch the light show and the bands and whatnot. The zipline always looks like fun, though the whole set-up for it detracts from the general feel of the area, I think.

We always get a cocktail from the stand outside Binons. not cheap, but they do not skimp on the alcohol...one is always more than enough for me, though I am a lightweight.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • StuieUK34
    StuieUK34 Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    We like Downtown. Its Trailor Trash style, which I think is awesome!! :D:D
    We be doing the SDX Bus there, and then taxi back to the strip...
    Hoping the California will bring me some good luck, or Binions even...
    Its Binions with the dancing girls and cowgirls behind the tables right ? must remember that one! :D:D
    Only a week to go, woooooohoooooooo !!!!!!!
  • bobbyhibs
    bobbyhibs Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    hi

and thanks for the detailed feedback ferf1223, its very much appreaciated!:T

StuieUK34- someone else counting down, we are down to
    10 and a half days to go for us and cannot wait!
  • pebblesmax
    pebblesmax Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    ferf1223 wrote: »
    if you only have time for one near-ish canyon, I would choose Valley of Fire over Red Rock, particularly if you have already done the GC. Red Rock is lovely, but VoF is something else entirely...it's really quite stunning and less than an hour's easy drive.
    I agree with ferf, Valley of Fire is spectacular.
  • pebblesmax
    pebblesmax Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Kit1 wrote: »

Yes, but Valley of Fire is better.
    • Can we get to the Neon Museum on the bus?

Yes you can. We walked from Downtown, it's not far and we didn't see anything weird or scary. I've been told it's not safe since we did that. There is a bus that continues on down north LVB but I'm not sure of the number.
    • I would like to visit a Walmart and the dollar store, hear so much about them - can you go by bus?

PYes you can do this by bus. 99c store we go to is at Flamingo and Maryland Parkway. Take the 202 eastbound from just under the pedestrian bridge at the Bally's side of Flamingo road. In that area there is also a TJMaxx, Target, Toysrus and a bit further up there are Ross and Marshalls. They are much less crowded than the ones on the strip.

For Walmart, we usually take the 203 westbound on Spring Mountain Road from beside Fashion show mall. It is in a shopping centre at Rainbow and Spring Mountain. You will pass by the Vegas version of Chinatown using this route.

What are things not to miss whilst there? Any top tips would be appreciated. We are happy to walk (last time we walked the length of the strip almost every day :))

I hope some of that helps. I couldn't change the colour of my answers on my phone.
  • kellyt1981
    kellyt1981 Posts: 80 Forumite
    These tips for all the buses and places to visit are great - thank you.

Just a quick question - does it really matter / will I get found out.... If I book a room for two guests when they'll actually be four of us in there (2 adults 2 kids 13 & 11) I've realised the rooms are cheaper for two guests rather than putting four. Specifically it was for the MGM if that makes a difference. Many thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure