Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Options

Comments

• A_Nice_Englishman
    Options
    zuliano wrote: »
    well the contract is over, so I am now wondering what to do. I find it confusing looking at these comparisons. For example, IS 17Mb enough for me? I don't [play game and mostly browse the internet, but I dont want things TOO slow

And what about a deal that has 'pay as you go'. I dont tend to phone people much, but is unlimited calls better in the long run than the former? IE what about these calls now where you get these robots that keep you on the phone whilse the meters ticking...?:eek:

JUST saw this on Martin's Broadband Unbundled!
    £12.74
    • Effective monthly cost
    • Even cheaper if you opt to pay line rental upfront

Made up of:
    • - £18.99 Plusnet monthly payment
    • + £75.00 claim reward from Plusnet

What speed do Plusnet offer for that price? If, like me, it's less than 4 Mb/s you probably won't be happy if you're used to 50Mb/s of more from Virgin.

Can you use your mobile for outgoing calls, or make them at weekends on cheaper or inclusive rates?
  • zuliano
    zuliano Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    What speed do Plusnet offer for that price? If, like me, it's less than 4 Mb/s you probably won't be happy if you're used to 50Mb/s of more from Virgin.

Can you use your mobile for outgoing calls, or make them at weekends on cheaper or inclusive rates?
    Up to 17Mb Broadband

I spose then that 17mb would seem very slow in comparison? Even if you mostly just browse internet?
    Do you play games, for example?

I don't actually own a mobile phone. I just use landline, but apart from business calls/practical matters (usually those calls that have robots and having you press 1,2. 3 etc etc and awful muzac I dont call friends much

So your saying I should look for 50mb that is better deal?

is there also such a great difference between 38mb and 50mb
  • A_Nice_Englishman
    A_Nice_Englishman Posts: 2,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 18 April 2018 at 8:28PM
    Options
    I spose then that 17mb would seem very slow in comparison? Even if you mostly just browse internet?
    Do you play games, for example?

I don't actually own a mobile phone. I just use landline, but apart from business calls/practical matters (usually those calls that have robots and having you press 1,2. 3 etc etc and awful muzac I dont call friends much

So your saying I should look for 50mb that is better deal?

is there also such a great difference between 38mb and 50mb

It's the 'up to' that's important. If you use the Plusnet checker what speed does it say you are actually likely to get? I mainly browse the web and stream a bit of video and I think at least 5Mb/s is recommended for good video. If only one person is going to be using the internet at a time I wouldn't pay extra to get 50 instead of 38.

https://www.plus.net/signup/linecheck/

Regarding the call package, you'd have to work out how much you'd pay in a typical month on pay-as-you-go and compare that with the packages offered.
  • zuliano
    zuliano Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    It's the 'up to' that's important. If you use the Plusnet checker what speed does it say you are actually likely to get? I mainly browse the web and stream a bit of video and I think at least 5Mb/s is recommended for good video. If only one person is going to be using the internet at a time I wouldn't pay extra to get 50 instead of 38.

https://www.plus.net/signup/linecheck/

Regarding the call package, you'd have to work out how much you'd pay in a typical month on pay-as-you-go and compare that with the packages offered.

eeeeks, I wouldn't even know how to calculate that and am VERY bad with numbers!

well I do watch a lot of videos, so your saying even 5 mb is OK for that...? And that 38mb is OK if just one person uses it? I only use it. I am not sure how much I am getting from VM. I will try and find out later.

It is like all their zillions of channels. I usually only watch BBC channels!!! :eek:
  • A_Nice_Englishman
    Options
    eeeeks, I wouldn't even know how to calculate that and am VERY bad with numbers!

well I do watch a lot of videos, so your saying even 5 mb is OK for that...? And that 38mb is OK if just one person uses it? I only use it. I am not sure how much I am getting from VM. I will try and find out later.

It is like all their zillions of channels. I usually only watch BBC channels!!! :eek:

My reply seems to have got lost during the maintenance.

Calls:
    Why not go for the minimum call package initially , then see if a higher one would save you money after you've had a couple of bills in?

Speed:
    BBC say you need ' a bit more than 2.8' for iPlayer https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/troubleshooting/web/Insufficient_bandwidth

Netflix say 3 for SD or 5 for HD
    https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306?ui_action=kb-article-popular-categories

Tv channels:
    Why are you paying VM for all those channels if you only watch BBC?
  • whattochoose
    Options
    First the good news.£3 knocked off my bill to £26. Broadband speed increased from 70 to 100 mbps. Also have TIVO box, MIX TV package and pay RLS.
    The bad news - I requested an online contract detailing new agreement - however it took SEVEN phone calls on my part before somebody told me they presently have an issue with sending emails, and would send me a physical copy by post.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 April 2018 at 1:57PM
    Options
    Cancellation gone in, having had a bill of £40 for 70Mb and Talk weekend! (I don't have a home phone)

I used Vodafone for comparison - £21.00 a month for 38Mb.

They said I use a lot (I do indeed).

They first offered 50Mb and Talk Weekend for £33 - no thank you.

50Mb Broandband only - £24.00 - Yes please, as thought well no messing around waiting for callback (I never had one last time) and no engineer to install a phone line if went with Vodafone and paying £60 for new installation.

However asked how long contract was for, and for some reason it would not allow the price to go through (;)). Said the lowest they can do is £29.00 with £50 knocked off first bill.

It's a no thank you and fingers crossed for a callback.

I want at least £21 based on what others are getting here, more for about £25-£30. I only want 50Mb Broadband.

If nothing by 30/04/18, then I arrange to set-up Vodafone, they offer £50 Amazon giftcard, so really £10 installation cost.

Drawback is, I have no BT line.
  • Loo44
    Loo44 Posts: 93 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    VM lady really couldn’t have been more bothered! She accepted my wanting to leave without even trying to keep me. All she said was for the next month, I’d be paying £19 for my phone line rental and I would be paying more for all calls made. I don’t think retention department will even try to call me back! Was paying £82 pcm for TiVo, 150 mb bb, full house tv, anytime calls.
  • aylesby
    aylesby Posts: 461 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Same experience here - VM lady really could not be bothered. She accepted my wanting to leave offered a selection of additional but unwanted Sky packs. Paying £95 pcm and gone in 10 minutes.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cjdavies wrote: »
    Cancellation gone in, having had a bill of £40 for 70Mb and Talk weekend! (I don't have a home phone)

I used Vodafone for comparison - £21.00 a month for 38Mb.

They said I use a lot (I do indeed).

They first offered 50Mb and Talk Weekend for £33 - no thank you.

50Mb Broandband only - £24.00 - Yes please, as thought well no messing around waiting for callback (I never had one last time) and no engineer to install a phone line if went with Vodafone and paying £60 for new installation.

However asked how long contract was for, and for some reason it would not allow the price to go through (;)). Said the lowest they can do is £29.00 with £50 knocked off first bill.

It's a no thank you and fingers crossed for a callback.

I want at least £21 based on what others are getting here, more for about £25-£30. I only want 50Mb Broadband.

If nothing by 30/04/18, then I arrange to set-up Vodafone, they offer £50 Amazon giftcard, so really £10 installation cost.

Drawback is, I have no BT line.

Cancelled 21/4/18, still no callback :( and forgot to put the Vodafone offer to put it through.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback