Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Comments

• Gummomarx
    Gummomarx Posts: 140 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker
    sheeps68 wrote: »
    Just to confuse the issue even further my contract on website stated my contract date was the date of signing for V6 box which I also got for free so why it would be a year prior to that who knows.
    Time to call them.
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I am on day 28 of 30 and have just called to cancel the contract termination after deciding that they won't be calling me back this late in the day. I don't know if it is worth trying again a few months down the line now that they have called my bluff.
    Has anyone got retentions to call the back them back after cancelling the cancellation the first time round?
  • c_smith
    c_smith Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes, it happened to me a few years ago too. I waited a few weeks and repeated the process and got the call. But that time, I had decided I was definitely prepared to leave and had signed up to a much cheaper Sky deal, so I'd suggest you do the same. When signing up to Sky you have 30 days to cancel the installation at no cost to yourself, so set the installation date for day 30 and wait to see if Virgin call. I actually ended up in the situation where when I phoned up to cancel the Sky installation they dropped their price even further to undercut Virgin, then Virgin dropped their price again. Make them fight for your business!
  • Without really trying - I didn't threaten to cancel - I was offered and accepted 100Mb/s broadband for £25 a month which is cheaper than new customers get. 12 month contract, 18 months discount.

Previously I was paying £36.95 for 70 Mb/s:embarasse but the service has been rock solid with only one outage in ten years.

Should I have haggled more?
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    thor wrote: »
    I am on day 28 of 30 and have just called to cancel the contract termination after deciding that they won't be calling me back this late in the day. I don't know if it is worth trying again a few months down the line now that they have called my bluff.
    Has anyone got retentions to call the back them back after cancelling the cancellation the first time round?

No call back for me, I had to call with 5 hours left.

Out of curiosity, have had you a value statement stating how much you have downloaded?
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    cjdavies wrote: »
    No call back for me, I had to call with 5 hours left.

Out of curiosity, have had you a value statement stating how much you have downloaded?
    No I have not but I estimate I probably download about 50GB per month so I wouldn't class myself as a high user but perhaps VM think otherwise.
    Maybe the rumours are true that they have implemented a policy to not offer deals to high users now as this is the first time my threat has failed.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    thor wrote: »
    No I have not but I estimate I probably download about 50GB per month so I wouldn't class myself as a high user but perhaps VM think otherwise.
    Maybe the rumours are true that they have implemented a policy to not offer deals to high users now as this is the first time my threat has failed.

Odd, inwould class that as a low user.
  • zuliano
    zuliano Posts: 105 Forumite
    I am confused. Usually the general consensus amongst various people I have spoken to is that VM is really expensive, and yet here on this forum at money SAVING expert I keep hearing people with VM...?? :eek:
  • zuliano wrote: »
    I am confused. Usually the general consensus amongst various people I have spoken to is that VM is really expensive, and yet here on this forum at money SAVING expert I keep hearing people with VM...?? :eek:

Are you still with them zuliano?
  • zuliano
    zuliano Posts: 105 Forumite
    edited 18 April 2018 at 6:45PM
    Are you still with them zuliano?
    well the contract is over, so I am now wondering what to do. I find it confusing looking at these comparisons. For example, IS 17Mb enough for me? I don't [play game and mostly browse the internet, but I dont want things TOO slow

And what about a deal that has 'pay as you go'. I dont tend to phone people much, but is unlimited calls better in the long run than the former? IE what about these calls now where you get these robots that keep you on the phone whilse the meters ticking...?:eek:

JUST saw this on Martin's Broadband Unbundled!
    £12.74
    • Effective monthly cost
    • Even cheaper if you opt to pay line rental upfront

Made up of:
    • - £18.99 Plusnet monthly payment
    • + £75.00 claim reward from Plusnet
    # and what exactly does 'pay as you go' mean??
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback