PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 March 2018 at 9:47AM
    pineapple wrote: »
    .... I just paid the car insurance and next it will be water rates, council tax, buildings insurance... :eek: Recipe for gruel anyone?

Post me your gruel leftovers.... I won't be affording to buy the gruel in the first instance.

I'd booked MoT/service for later this week (£440 required) .... and today I got the tax disc letter (£150) ... which means it's insurance next (£?????) and in 2 weeks' time it'll be Council Tax on the mat (~£1300 after discount I think, trying not to think about it!).

Today I headed for those easy chips again .... chips, beans and the last 3 fish fingers in the packet.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yesterdays cinema trip was unusual for me. I can't recall what I saw last... I perhaps only go 2 or 3 times a year. I'm more likely to go and see those 'National Theatre Live' screenings of plays and musicals. They are a little more expensive, but more of an "event". And it sounds awful, but also a higher class of clientele. Generally less of the "popcorn crunching, fizz slurper, kick your chair" crowd. There are also very rarely any under 18s. Mostly I'm guessing because of the content, and they are usually school-nights, and don't even start until 7:30/8pm.

Tea tonight is a frozen chicken kiev, a jacket potato and some fried mushrooms. Not posh, but fills a hole!
    Sounds as though you'd like this place https://glasgowfilm.org/ :)
    Post me your gruel leftovers.... I won't be affording to buy the gruel in the first instance.

I'd booked MoT/service for later this week (£440 required) .... and today I got the tax disc letter (£150) ... which means it's insurance next (£?????) and in 2 weeks' time it'll be Council Tax on the mat (~£1300 after discount I think, trying not to think about it!).

That's pretty much a year's income just gone in a month :)

Today I headed for those easy chips again .... chips, beans and the last 3 fish fingers in the packet.
    Ouch.... :(
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 March 2018 at 8:44AM
    and in 2 weeks' time it'll be Council Tax on the mat (~£1300 after discount I think, trying not to think about it!).
    It does irk me somewhat that I only pay 25% less than a house full of people. Singletons lose out everywhere. Used to live in a little hamlet where the residents had shared responsibility for maintenance of the access lane, the communal septic tank etc. Unfortunately for me, liability was calculated on a property basis and not per person. It was the only way it could be I guess, but it cost me dearly. Don't even get me started on those bumper packs of cheap potatoes etc. If you see someone scratching her head at a fruit and veg counter, that would be me trying to work out if it is worth it (or even possible) to cook and freeze, or which is cheaper - getting the cheap bulk pack and throwing some away or going for broke and getting the expensive small pack, which I am however, likely to use in it's entirety.
    'Buy loose!,' I hear you cry - unfortunately the Co-op in town doesn't seem to have got the plastics message and has taken to packaging just about everything. :(
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 13 March 2018 at 9:25AM
    This is indeed one of our bugbears as we know Pineapple.

I sat down and worked out how much extra I am paying on my bills the other day with having to cover them on my own. So added one-third on to the CT bill/the TV licence bill and insurance bill would be the same/doubt there'd be much more on the broadband & phone bill (as I've got an all-inclusive type tariff) and came to a conclusion of over £1,000 extra on the bills pa for a single person, as opposed to a "half of a couple" person iyswim.

Overall - I can't complain about around £250 per month for bills all told. But it would leave more money for spending if the bills were, say, £300 per month and my share was £150.

Though I would say the main thing I notice is the whole of the house cost falls on me (hence the move to Wales) and all the cost of the work on the house falls to me (that was tens of thousands of £s that flew out the window over the last few years then...:().

Oh well...and I think my food bill is about to go up marginally (but will be only peanuts imo #shrugs) - as negotiations are in progress in the town about things that need doing for the town to be "Plastic Free". Since my principles have cost me "I don't really like to think just how much:eek:" over the course of my lifetime - then what's a few more pennies in the grand scheme of things imo?:cool:

Sun shining (ohlawdbepraised:rotfl:) and trip for garden supplies looks like it's on then - and lunch out (no cooking today:)).

EDIT; Pineapple - Re that hamlet situation you were in was that downside of the paying-out being done per property (rather than per person) = on the other hand the upside is that the "votes" as to how things should be run was also per property (rather than per person). Whether that "voting" happened or some ********(lets delete word for old-fashioned/unfair-minded person) tried to take all the "votes" for themselves = nevertheless, the moral position was that a family couldn't "out-vote" a single person (as it would be 1 house v. another house - regardless of number of occupants in that house).

So, to me, families are on a very sticky wicket if they think they can use "weight of numbers" to try and make out they have more power than me. They don't. They have one house and I have one house - that makes us with equal "voting rights" imo.
  • PasturesNew
    If you see someone scratching her head at a fruit and veg counter, that would be me trying to work out if it is worth it (or even possible) to cook and freeze, or which is cheaper - getting the cheap bulk pack and throwing some away or going for broke and getting the expensive small pack, which I am however, likely to use in it's entirety.
    'Buy loose!,' I hear you cry - unfortunately the Co-op in town doesn't seem to have got the plastics message and has taken to packaging just about everything. :(

I've always loved spuds and eat a lot of them - but even so it can be tiring getting through a whole bag (usually 2.5Kg as that's best value) ... so what I do is use instant and tinned. There's always instant in the cupboard (packet says it contains 99% potato) ... and so there's no urgent need to have potatoes in the house for a few applications.

The tinned ones I mostly use in summer for spud salads, or to drop into the slow cooker as "what else can go in here?". I only use about 3 tins/year, but it's nice to know they're there.

For instant mash I probably use just one box/year, but I know it's there instantly if I suddenly decide that mashed potatoes would be the best thing to serve with XYZ.

I've currently got about 1Kg of spuds lurking that I've not looked at for 7-10 days .... so I should look at those and see what state they're in. The trouble is, to use things up, it's not just the spuds....this week I've also got carrots, a whole savoy, a whole swede and 3 parsnips to ponder over :)
  • caronc
    It does irk me somewhat that I only pay 25% less than a house full of people. Singletons lose out everywhere. Used to live in a little hamlet where the residents had shared responsibility for maintenance of the access lane, the communal septic tank etc. Unfortunately for me, liability was calculated on a property basis and not per person. It was the only way it could be I guess, but it cost me dearly. Don't even get me started on those bumper packs of cheap potatoes etc. If you see someone scratching her head at a fruit and veg counter, that would be me trying to work out if it is worth it (or even possible) to cook and freeze, or which is cheaper - getting the cheap bulk pack and throwing some away or going for broke and getting the expensive small pack, which I am however, likely to use in it's entirety.
    This is indeed one of our bugbears as we know Pineapple.

I sat down and worked out how much extra I am paying on my bills the other day with having to cover them on my own. So added one-third on to the CT bill/the TV licence bill and insurance bill would be the same/doubt there'd be much more on the broadband & phone bill (as I've got an all-inclusive type tariff) and came to a conclusion of over £1,000 extra on the bills pa for a single person, as opposed to a "half of a couple" person iyswim.

Overall - I can't complain about around £250 per month for bills all told. But it would leave more money for spending if the bills were, say, £300 per month and my share was £150.

Though I would say the main thing I notice is the whole of the house cost falls on me (hence the move to Wales) and all the cost of the work on the house falls to me (that was tens of thousands of £s that flew out the window over the last few years then...:().

Oh well...and I think my food bill is about to go up marginally (but will be only peanuts imo #shrugs) - as negotiations are in progress in the town about things that need doing for the town to be "Plastic Free". Since my principles have cost me "I don't really like to think just how much:eek:" over the course of my lifetime - then what's a few more pennies in the grand scheme of things imo?:cool:

Sun shining (ohlawdbepraised:rotfl:) and trip for garden supplies looks like it's on then - and lunch out (no cooking today:)).

EDIT; Pineapple - Re that hamlet situation you were in was that downside of the paying-out being done per property (rather than per person) = on the other hand the upside is that the "votes" as to how things should be run was also per property (rather than per person). Whether that "voting" happened or some ********(lets delete word for old-fashioned/unfair-minded person) tried to take all the "votes" for themselves = nevertheless, the moral position was that a family couldn't "out-vote" a single person (as it would be 1 house v. another house - regardless of number of occupants in that house).

So, to me, families are on a very sticky wicket if they think they can use "weight of numbers" to try and make out they have more power than me. They don't. They have one house and I have one house - that makes us with equal "voting rights" imo.

I found when my son left that the only bills that changed were electricty and food. As he had been a student I had got the 25% council tax discount anyway. My food bill certainly more than halved but the electricty dropped by much less than 50%. (Though in fairness it may have dropped more if I stayed on at work)
    Fortunately Tesco online still do a reasonable selection of F&V loose though I do tend to still buy bags of spuds as they don't do the ones I prefer loose.

It rained overnight but is lovely and sunny this morning so if it stays that way I might have a potter in the garden.:) I'm not risking planting anything yet though as there is a cold snap forecast again this weekend:(.

Foodwise I've LO pasta for lunch and my sea bass is defrosting in the fridge for dinner. I made chicken stock overnight in the slowcooker so will get that strained and chilled so I lift the fat off. I'll make soup with it tomorrow - leek and oatmeal I think after my conversation with kittie on Sunday:). The stock is slightly spiced so it should make it tasty:)
  • caronc
    I've always loved spuds and eat a lot of them - but even so it can be tiring getting through a whole bag (usually 2.5Kg as that's best value) ... so what I do is use instant and tinned. There's always instant in the cupboard (packet says it contains 99% potato) ... and so there's no urgent need to have potatoes in the house for a few applications.

The tinned ones I mostly use in summer for spud salads, or to drop into the slow cooker as "what else can go in here?". I only use about 3 tins/year, but it's nice to know they're there.

For instant mash I probably use just one box/year, but I know it's there instantly if I suddenly decide that mashed potatoes would be the best thing to serve with XYZ.

I've currently got about 1Kg of spuds lurking that I've not looked at for 7-10 days .... so I should look at those and see what state they're in. The trouble is, to use things up, it's not just the spuds....this week I've also got carrots, a whole savoy, a whole swede and 3 parsnips to ponder over :)
    Spuds I get through okay but I always seem to end up trying to use up bendy carrots if I buy a bag of those, I've a few needing used up in the fridge at the moment from the last bag I got, I should really chop and freeze them.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Its definitely a cba day wrt food. The sun will be out and I want to get out on my bike, then want to plan my seed sowing calendar. Food will be whatever I need to keep me healthy, no bells and whistles and the faster the better
  • PasturesNew
    caronc wrote: »
    bag I got, I should really chop and freeze them.

There is an easier way ... :)
    Just scrape them clean with one of those kitchen scourers, snip off the two ends, toss into a takeaway box with ¼" of water, pop the lid on with vent space and nuke for 3 minutes, turning them after each minute.... THEN chop them as they're soft.
    :)
    This is how I usually cook carrots.... I cut them into shape after they've cooked.

I find cutting raw carrots a real bind ... but then I don't have any "proper knives" and do everything with a tiny old 65p paring knife.
  • caronc
    There is an easier way ... :)
    Just scrape them clean with one of those kitchen scourers, snip off the two ends, toss into a takeaway box with ¼" of water, pop the lid on with vent space and nuke for 3 minutes, turning them after each minute.... THEN chop them as they're soft.
    :)
    This is how I usually cook carrots.... I cut them into shape after they've cooked.

I find cutting raw carrots a real bind ... but then I don't have any "proper knives" and do everything with a tiny old 65p paring knife.
    Thanks PN, I think mine are beyond just scouring but I like the idea of par cooking them before freezing them. I don't mind chopping though as long as I can sit down to do it.:) That said I suspect they will lurk in the fridge for another few days before I do anything with them:(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback