Friend splitting costs with partner

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Pdbaggett wrote: »
    Yes, shocking isn't it someone taking an interest in someone else's life whilst not really envisaging doing anything about it. Its almost like we don't have newspapers doing the exact thing or reality TV or shock horror people having a gossip about other people who are not immediately them selves :eek:

I don't watch reality TV.
    I don't gossip about other people.
    I read/watch news, not gawp over minor celebs or z listers whose goings-on are footnotes to the news.
    And if I did take an interest in someone else's life, I wouldn't ask a bunch of random strangers on t'internet for their opinion.
  • Pdbaggett
    Pdbaggett Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I don't watch reality TV.
    I don't gossip about other people.
    I read/watch news, not gawp over minor celebs or z listers whose goings-on are footnotes to the news.
    And if I did take an interest in someone else's life, I wouldn't ask a bunch of random strangers on t'internet for their opinion.

Yet you still don't mind pointlessly arguing with random strangers on the internet, weird that :rotfl:
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Yet you still don't mind pointlessly arguing with random strangers on the internet, weird that :rotfl:
    I refer you to this comment:
    thorsoak wrote: »
    Surely it is none of your business?
    :p
  • Pdbaggett
    Pdbaggett Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    FBaby wrote: »
    So that would be over £800 a month for both? I agree that £400 isn't a lot, but £800 is quite high. Of course, that depends what is included. Things like expensive broadband packages, sky, alcohol, meat every day etc... are not essential things and possibly something that the other party wouldn't have otherwise.

Really there is no right or wrong but they should be committed enough to be able to have a conversation and come to an agreement if their relationship is solid.

Sorry no I meant £50 each from both parties making £100 a week or £400 a month. £800 a month would more than cover most peoples bills + food I would assume, it would definetly cover mine.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I reckon he needs to add up the (non mortgage) bills and divide in half. I know some people might think that £400 a month would do it but , for us it's more like double that (rates+gas+electric+insurance+tv/phone internet+food).

Remember this should only be for contents insurance.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Agreed £100 a week certainly would not cover my bills including food shopping.

However is enough to cover mine.
  • steph2901
    steph2901 Posts: 345 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Sounds like he needs to have a chat with her, paying £200 all in isn't very fair to him! But if that's all he asked for, then she's not going to pay more is she? I'd love to be able to live for £200 a month and have the other £1000 to myself, but sadly that's not going to happen.
  • She pays two hundred quid, he gets a lodger with an element of payment in kind.

Once a week on a Sunday morning and she cooks a couple of meals during the week - that about covers the difference in money he'd otherwise be spending in a restaurant and on a Lady of Dubious Taxation Status.

Can't see what he's complaining about, really. He's getting his money's worth.

Don't think it's quite such a deal for her, though - I'd rather be in a real relationship with a real partner, rather than this bloke, who sounds as if he's already decided she'll do for the time being, but not for life. Was her income taken into account on the mortgage application? If so, when she's had enough of this uneven power balance (or he trades her in for a newer model), that piece of paper won't mean Jack.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    It seems that I was wrong, and I am not too proud to admit it. (Take note, others here) I apologise, please see this:

https://www.savvywoman.co.uk/2011/01/living-together-does-your-partner-have-any-rights-to-your-property-once-you-live-together/

It appears that your friend's signed agreement is useful and legal.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    My BF pays naff all and doesn't work any more, but does all the work (housework, cooking, etc in the house including decorating. I put my pillow cases on, that's about it. If one of my friends started a similar sort about me/us, I'd not be impressed. If we struggled for cash, it would be our problem, nobody else's.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport